SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/85404-westerbeke-4-107-repair-replace.html)

bugbitten 03-25-2012 12:29 AM

Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?

I have a friend who's recently bought a '73 Dickerson 36 with it's original Westerbeke 4-107 showing an unrealistic 190 hours on the clock. The boat was a very good buy, despite the fact that the engine had been seriously neglected. He ran the engine twice. The first time there were noises he thought came from the transmission or near where it joins the engine. He shut it down quickly. Folks at the yard thought it might smooth out once on the water. Tried that and "with a clang, clang and a smack, smack, smack she took a breath and froze-up."

He does not have a ton of money in the boat yet. He's willing to sink a fair amount into the engine (I'm guessing up to about 4K, total) but can't decide whether to put that into this mill or something else used that's currently running. He's looking at a 30 HP Yanmar that has supposedly been rebuilt but has sat a while for 2K, but it's RWC.

I read the recent thread about 4-107s and they sound like something you shouldn't give up on easily, unless perhaps if the o-ring lands in the block have corroded and failed.

My question is can the condition of these lands be determined with the engine in the boat? Can he start a tear down before yanking it? The yard is busy and it could be weeks before they could get the engine out for him. It's a fairly roomy engine bay, and the owner is agile and comfortable swinging wrenches.

All words of wisdom will be welcome!

John

SimonV 03-25-2012 12:43 AM

Re: Westerbeke 4-107 repair or replace?

Only part of the cost of a heart transplant is the motor, I would look at rebuilding the old or getting a good working motor of the same ilk. Rebuilt you know what you have old working is a a coin toss on longevity.

bugbitten 03-25-2012 12:58 AM

Thanks for the prompt response! I think the yard quoted $400-$600 to pull the engine. I'm guessing getting it back in would be about the same. (Of course, you're right: getting a different engine back in would undoubtedly cost more). He's getting antsy to move forward so he doesn't miss the entire sailing season, which is why I thought maybe he could get in there himself and get enough pulled off the engine to figure out if it's a rebuild candidate. He's very methodical and, while he doesn't have diesel experience, I think he could follow the manual and label and organize everything clearly enough that a pro could take over for him if he decided to go the rebuild route.

John

PS I visited your blog and looked at some of the exploding neighbor pics. Lordy!

SloopJonB 03-25-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugbitten (Post 850266)
Thanks for the prompt response! I think the yard quoted $400-$600 to pull the engine. I'm guessing getting it back in would be about the same. (Of course, you're right: getting a different engine back in would undoubtedly cost more). He's getting antsy to move forward so he doesn't miss the entire sailing season, which is why I thought maybe he could get in there himself and get enough pulled off the engine to figure out if it's a rebuild candidate. He's very methodical and, while he doesn't have diesel experience, I think he could follow the manual and label and organize everything clearly enough that a pro could take over for him if he decided to go the rebuild route.

John

PS I visited your blog and looked at some of the exploding neighbor pics. Lordy!

I'd pull it and strip the head and pan off - that will tell you if it's done something terminal like throwing a rod. If not then go further - main & rod caps & so forth until you find the problem. Then you can determine if it's suitable for rebuilding. Paying a pro to strip and examine it isn't very expensive - it doesn't take long after its out of the boat.

If it's not rebuildable, I'd get a replacement 107 (I have a Perkins 107 in my boat.) Those old lumps run forever if they are maintained and as you point out - they can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new replacement, not to mention the installation/conversion costs for new. A big plus is: think of all the spare parts he'll have. :D A properly rebuilt and maintained 107 will probably outlive your friends children. :)

Rockter 03-25-2012 05:00 AM

It's not a common engine here in the UK, so I don't know much about the unit.

Run it in the boat a while and get a good opinion as to what is wrong with it. Put a compression meter on each of the pistons. Listen to the bottom end. Put an oil presure guage on there too, if you can. If the crank is scored, I would look at a recon motor as just about everything else is likely to be worn. The figure of 4k$ will buy a lot of recon motor.

With a couple of friends, and like 1/2 hour with a light-duty crane, you can lift out the motor.

Place it on a palate and take it home.

Strip it and find out what is wrong. Excessive mechanical noise normally leads the owner, and quickly, to the problem.

If you are going to replace the motor, put the same design of motor and gearbox in there again. You really do not want to get in to the problems of different engine mounts. They can be quite a headache.

SimonV 03-25-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockter (Post 850286)

Run it in the boat a while and get a good opinion as to what is wrong with it. Put a compression meter on each of the pistons. Listen to the bottom end. Put an oil presure guage on there too, if you can. If the crank is scored, I would look at a recon motor as just about everything else is likely to be worn. The figure of 4k$ will buy a lot of recon motor.

With a couple of friends, and like 1/2 hour with a light-duty crane, you can lift out the motor.

Strip it and find out what is wrong. Excessive mechanical noise normally leads the owner, and quickly, to the problem.

If you are going to replace the motor, put the same design of motor and gearbox in there again. You really do not want to get in to the problems of different engine mounts. They can be quite a headache.

The Westerbeke 4.107 is a Perkins right down to its dip stick, the UK is full of them. Even the later Westerbeke 4.108 are mostly Perkins and a 4.108 is essentially a 4.107 but with wet sleeves the bolt on bits can be a little different but parts a readily available.

SloopJonB 03-25-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockter (Post 850286)

I believe the original British Perkins was used in London taxis so there should still be 1 or 2 around! :D

WanderingStar 03-25-2012 11:54 AM

The above is good advice, make sure the motor is dead before rebuilding or replacing. He can also send some oil out for testing (buy a test bottle at better auto parts stores). He also might inquire about having a mechanic aboard. Ask around the yard.
I also use a 4-107.

bugbitten 03-25-2012 12:04 PM

Thanks, all.

The current plan is to have the yard yank it tomorrow. A friend is going to trailer it to a mechanic near him, who'll take a look. He is leaning toward keeping it Westerbeke, if possible.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything from the mechanic.

John