Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

druzhinin is on a distinguished road
westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)

Hi all,

I have a 1978 Cal 34 boat with westerbeke w30. I struggle to identify the part of the engine. It is on the left side of the engine if you look towards stern, and it is very close to where oil pressure release valve is supposed to be. However it does not match pressure valve neither in construction or in location - it is almost under heat exchanger and it's bolted on flange, very close to where the gear box is attached - see pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1058790.../WesterbekeW30

I would not bother in identifying it, but it seems that there was something bolted on there and the the hole goes directly into the crankcase. When the oil pressure goes close to 60 psi I have oil splashing out of this thing sometimes, which does not seem to be normal for diesel engines.

I know that there is a number of W30 experts on this forum, please help!
Attached Thumbnails
westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)-photo0119.jpg   westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)-photo0120.jpg   westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)-photo0121.jpg   westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)-photo0122.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: westerbeke w30 - engine part identification :)

Westerbeke manuals are available online including a very detailed parts manual. I forget the actual address but it is part of the Westerbeke website as I remember.
Old 05-04-2012

I have all manuals and parts list. I would not be bothering the community if I did not look through all of them for last few days - thanks for your hint thought.

Westerbeke manuals are detailed , but they if you study them too long they can drive you nuts. E.g. they can use a picture of BMC 1.5 to illustrate a W-30 Four 91 or mix up W58 pics with W30. Engines were in production for very long time and manuals between different engines share same sections, so a lot of mixups, missing information. Detailed, but not accurate.
Old 05-04-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Check your bilge for the dipstick; its vibrated off.
Old 05-04-2012

hmm, the dipstick is safe and sound on the other side of the engine

no indication of the second dipstick on the engine manual, are you sure?
Old 05-04-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
It a breather/dipstick on some; a breather only on others.
Old 05-04-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

I know nothing about this particular engine, but that won't keep me from taking a wild assed guess...

Mechanical tach shaft port. The tach cable would have been screwed into this opening to drive the actual tach.

I'm assuming that other than the oil leak, your engine is running well? Unless you've found engine pieces in your bilge, I'd bet that you'll be perfectly safe to just cap it off and forget it.

Last edited by PorFin; 05-04-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

This is an interesting situation! So the piece you see is not in your manual? I see a number of possibilities. I do not have a Westerbeke nor have I any experience with one. My answers and questions are based on deductive logic.

Here is my guess: Is there a non-working oil pressure gauge on your instrument cluster? Perhaps the sensor is missing here, or perhaps the engine features a port for it but it isn't used on your instrument cluster and the cap has vibrated off. If this is so you can install and wire the sensor or just cap it off if you can find a screw-on cap that fits the threads. Regardless, it does not explain why the feature is not in your manual.

And now on to the alternatives:

1) Someone has modified your engine. It doesn't seem likely since you are talking about an opening into the block from which oil sometimes escapes. Who would drill a hole like that? But from the pragmatic point of view, can you just cap it off? Perhaps there used to be a cap and it vibrated off.

2) You have the wrong manual. This, too, seems unlikely. Although the Westerbeke web site for manuals lists two W30 engine variations, they have only one set of manuals to cover both. You might want to download the full set of three anyway since they may have updated the manuals since yours was printed/downloaded. They are about half way down the page.

3) You have misidentified your engine. You should be able to send Westerbeke your engine serial number and they should be able to tell you the model and variation.

4) You have a rare engine variation (or one that was not originally designed for marine use). I noticed on the aforementioned Westerbeke web site that they list a 30B and a 30C. This implies that there is a 30A, and maybe a 30 (which may be rare or may not be marine versions). This is not as unlikely as you might think. Believe it or not, I have seen a Kubota engine installed on a sailboat that was the tractor variation. I know the guy who was rebuilding this boat. He deliberately chose to use the tractor version because it cost so much less than the marine version. My advice is again to send the engine serial number to Westerbeke. Their customer service should be able to tell you which set of manuals to download.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-04-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I like Porfin's suggestion... it's the one that makes sense for that kind of exposed thread, and also the clear path to the crankcase area.

If the crankcase ventilation system is in place otherwise, capping this should be a simple solution. There should be no pressure of significance.. even a typical plastic piping shipping cap should be enough.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
It a breather/dipstick on some; a breather only on others.
it could be the breather, there is an indication that there is a breather in the lower part of the engine, although it looks completely different. there's a breather on the top of the valve cover also. i wonder if i could just cap it off and forget about it?..

engine is old, so there's some piston blowby and oil pressure stays around 60-70 psi, i suspect this is the reason why i find some oil drops splashing out of this breather sometimes.