Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2012

dobravila is on a distinguished road
burping on MD7A

I am wondering is it possible to "burp out" air blisters from cooling system. After dissasembling and assembling elbow (one piece of broken impeler found in T pipe on inlet), I think the engine is still to hot below the head. Water temperature is 176 F after 1h ride on 2000 RPM. This seems good to me. I think water flow through the engine is OK. Question is: has everyone ever tried to vent out cooling sistem on MD7A or this is not the issue on this engine.

BR Dobra vila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: burping on MD7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobravila View Post
I am wondering is it possible to "burp out" air blisters from cooling system. After dissasembling and assembling elbow (one piece of broken impeler found in T pipe on inlet), I think the engine is still to hot below the head. Water temperature is 176 F after 1h ride on 2000 RPM. This seems good to me. I think water flow through the engine is OK. Question is: has everyone ever tried to vent out cooling sistem on MD7A or this is not the issue on this engine.

BR Dobra vila
Not familiar with your particular engine but if fresh water cooled you may want to carefully loosen the expansion tank cap while it is running or after it has cooled. Sometimes there may be a "bleeder" screw or cap near the top of the engine which should be opened when filling with coolant until it runs out the bleeder which should then be closed.

Paul T
Old 05-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Our engine can be difficult to re-establish full circulation after work on the cooling system.. I've found that running the engine initially with the pressure cap off helps it sort itself out... usually only takes 10 minutes or so, after which I replace the cap and let it warm to running temp.

If you've had an air pocket somewhere usually you'll see the H/E reservoir level drop once things are sorted.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-07-2012

cas206 is on a distinguished road

My newly acquired boat came with a MD7A that is not pumping water. I plan to try and flush the system using a trick I saw in an old magazine. The article described attaching a bilge pump to the water intake hose and sticking in a bucket. The water output was routed via a hose back to the bucket. This way a cleaning solution of some sort (water and vinegar maybe?) could be continually cycled through. I replaced the water intake ball valve with a safety seacock. So it will should be easy for me to switch off the outside water and redirect water intake from a bucket.

This is, of course, after I check simple things like replacing the impeller. You might try the bilge pump trick to force any air out of your system (assuming this is even an issue).
Old 05-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
My newly acquired boat came with a MD7A that is not pumping water. I plan to try and flush the system using a trick I saw in an old magazine. The article described attaching a bilge pump to the water intake hose and sticking in a bucket. The water output was routed via a hose back to the bucket. This way a cleaning solution of some sort (water and vinegar maybe?) could be continually cycled through. I replaced the water intake ball valve with a safety seacock. So it will should be easy for me to switch off the outside water and redirect water intake from a bucket.

This is, of course, after I check simple things like replacing the impeller. You might try the bilge pump trick to force any air out of your system (assuming this is even an issue).
I was thinking of using a 50%/50% vinegar/water solution and circulate as you state through my direct sea water cooled yanmar. Maybe do this once a year. Do you think this would clean the deposits off the internals of engine? I am a little hesitant about using any stronger chemical as it might damage the engine metals.
Regards
Old 05-08-2012

I don't see why not. But I'm not an engine mechanic or expert of any kind. I rely on the books/magazine/web to get information. However, looking around the web seems to show that half vinegar / half water solution is commonly used in cars cooling systems and boat engines. Here is one such thread I found

Vinegar flush without engine running? - Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians
Old 05-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
I don't see why not. But I'm not an engine mechanic or expert of any kind. I rely on the books/magazine/web to get information. However, looking around the web seems to show that half vinegar / half water solution is commonly used in cars cooling systems and boat engines. Here is one such thread I found

Vinegar flush without engine running? - Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians
Good link, thanks. I fresh water rinse my raw water cooled diesel after each use. Have a bucket with hose attached to the base. Shut the seacock and open a valve that connects the bucket of water and let the engine run while I keep the bucket filled with water hose (you do not want to force water into engine under high pressure). I think I will start putting in some vinegar to keep cooling passages open.
Regards
Old 05-12-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

There's a product called redlyme that is supposed to be real good for cleaning out cooling pasages on the raw water side of heat exchangers & raw water cooled motors. It's diluted 1:1 & costs 30 bucks a gallon. You'll need one gallon for the MD7A. Hardest part of this operation is getting the exhaust hose off the muffler.

Apex - Rydlyme is the world's leading biodegradable descaler, rydlyme is designedto dissolve water scale, lime deposits & rust deposits, but is not water treatment orwater conditioner.

Cas026, If your motor isn't pumping water check the gasket on the strainer first. Getting to the raw water pump is a real PIA

Bob
Old 05-12-2012

Thanks for the suggestions Bob.

The raw water strainer (the cylinder thingy in the boat, not the outside metal cover) was spitting water when I first attempted to start the motor (new to me boat). I fashioned a temporary gasket from automotive cork gasket material. No more spitting of water. I also disconnected the hose from the outlet of the strainer. I lowered the strainer below water line and noted water came pouring out. That's as far as I got because this is when I noted that my electric bilge pump was non-op and the manual was missing a hose. Once I get a working bilge pump setup, I'll be going back to troubleshooting.

While trying to feed water from a bucket, there was a bubble in the clear hose. The bubble moved back and forth slightly indicating that something was trying to pump. However, the bubble never moved along the hose, so no actual pumping was happening.

Regards,
cas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.