SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Dual Racors - recommended model(s)? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/87358-dual-racors-recommended-model-s.html)

montenido 05-14-2012 12:14 AM

Dual Racors - recommended model(s)?

Hi all,

I am interested in installing the dual filter setup where you can switch from one to the other while under power. Is there a particular Racor model # that I should use? Motor is a Perkins 4-154.

Also, is there a simple diagram available showing the set up?

Thanks, Bill

aeventyr60 05-14-2012 12:32 AM

Re: Dual Racors - recommended model(s)?

Racor 500 series works on my Perkins 4108.

sea_hunter 05-14-2012 08:21 AM

It depends on engine size. Our's is custom built with multiple valves but works extremely well. At a recent trade show I saw that Raycor now builds a one piece unit with a single multi functional valve that's compact and a very sweet design. Contact a Raycor rep directly.

JimsCAL 05-15-2012 08:31 AM

Basically you are looking at two filters in parallel. You would need either a three-way valve (or a standard valve for each) at the inlet and outlet to permit isolation.

Zanshin 05-17-2012 01:34 AM

I've got the Dual Racor 1000 setup, but for your smaller enginer the 60GPH see Racor Dual Filter, Turbine 500 Series Fuel Filter / Water Separator is probably just the right size. (remember that the fuel flow is much higher than actual consumption because of the return flow). Putting the dual filter together yourself might save some money, it isn't difficult but is time-consuming to do correctly.

Cruisingdad 05-17-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montenido (Post 870852)
Hi all,

I am interested in installing the dual filter setup where you can switch from one to the other while under power. Is there a particular Racor model # that I should use? Motor is a Perkins 4-154.

Also, is there a simple diagram available showing the set up?

Thanks, Bill

Just curious, why would you do this on a sailboat (esp low HP sailboat)? Why not just run a single with a few extra filters and maintenance? I know tralwers and mototr vessels do this, but that is a different thing alltogether.

Brian

mikefossl 05-17-2012 02:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's nice to be able to quickly switch to a backup filter while the engine is running. Here is what I set up for our Westerbeke 44A.

jrd22 05-17-2012 10:26 AM

We have the 500 set up that Zan linked to above for our 62hp and it works very well. I've had a single filter clog and kill the engine in rough conditions once, and once is enough. Ever try to change a fuel filter when the boat is tossing around in the waves, NOT fun.

chuck711 05-20-2012 06:09 AM

I always go with the Racor 500 Drop in Filters.
They cost 1/3 of the spin on Filter price
Changes quickly with no mess and
often requires no bleeding.

Cheaper, Faster, Easier