SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Seeking rebuilt Universal M25X engine (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/88089-seeking-rebuilt-universal-m25x-engine.html)

sailthebay7 05-31-2012 11:15 PM

Seeking rebuilt Universal M25X engine

1998 Catalina MKII - needs new engine. Seeking rebuilt Universal M25X - 3 cyl. Appreciate any tips on where to find/buy a rebuilt engine or have ours rebuilt if that makes more sense. East coast preferred. MD/DC/VA if possible.

JimsCAL 06-01-2012 08:59 AM

Re: Seeking rebuilt Universal M25X engine

What's wrong with your current engine? A rebuilt engine is going to cost half or more of the cost of a new engine and you still have the cost of pulling the old one and installing the rebuilt one if you can't do that yourself. A 14 year old diesel should still have plenty of life left in it.

souljour2000 06-01-2012 09:02 AM

So you already have a MX-25 and you want to just swap it out for a already re-built MX-25..is that correct? If so then it seems unnecessary as Jim said...should be alot of life in her still...might want to send out a few parts maybe though but...for re-conditioning...

Stu Jackson 06-04-2012 03:54 PM

It'd bre really hard to find a M25X engine because they never made one called that.

There's an M25.

There's an M25XP

and there's an M25XPB (B stands for "But you don't want to get this one 'cuz is rattles like crazy).

Here's something that might help: Rebuilding the M25-XP - C34

eherlihy 06-06-2012 11:15 PM

Or if you want to swap it for a new one, try Beta Marine Engines. Here is the equivalent to an M25-XP Beta 25

JimMcGee 06-06-2012 11:21 PM

The placard on your engine should tell you the exact model.

It might help if you post exactly what is wrong with your engine and where your boat is located. It might help folks recommend where to go for service on the bay. Who knows you may not need a new engine after all.

The Tech Link Stu posted is a great source of info on these engines. A lot of folks here will recommend digging into a rebuild yourself. You may or may not be comfortable doing that.

The most common source for a replacement if you're set on a swap is probably Beta Marine (Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine). A search of this forum will turn up threads from folks who've installed their engines. They also have quite a few dealers on the Chesapeake.

Last fall/winter Catalina had a number of brand new M25XP's still in crates that they were selling off. I'm not sure about pricing, but an email to Catalina will get you the information if they still have them.

Best of luck. Contemplating a new engine is no fun.

gmackey 06-07-2012 01:48 AM

One of my fellow yacht club members had his M25XP rebuilt a couple of years ago for a very reasonable price by an American company who rebuilds Kubotas for the non-marine market. I believe it's based on the the Kubota D950 engine which is used extensively in all sorts of devices like tractors, lawn mowers, etc.

The cost was much less than the cost of a new motor.

I don't have the details right now but I can get them. Also, maybe try Googling for Kubota rebuilders.

Final thought, I believe I read not long ago that Catalina Yachts had a couple of M25 XPs in crates that there were selling for a big discount. Might have been M25XPB's though, I can't remember.

cheers,
Graham

gmackey 06-07-2012 01:52 AM

Argh, didn't read the entire previous post, am needlessly repeating the Catalina engines part.

George6 06-07-2012 12:36 PM

hey, Jim. My Newport had the same model. The post from gmackey is what I did. The only thing is the oil dip stick is on the left. The D950 model is correct if you want to change it out. Same engine all the way around. Bolts right in. cheaper than the marinized version.

ben2go 06-07-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailthebay7 (Post 878532)
1998 Catalina MKII - needs new engine. Seeking rebuilt Universal M25X - 3 cyl. Appreciate any tips on where to find/buy a rebuilt engine or have ours rebuilt if that makes more sense. East coast preferred. MD/DC/VA if possible.

Call around to local machine shops and find one that rebuilds marine engines.That will cut down on some labor cost.Most marinas that rebuild engines charge for the tear down and rebuild,plus they still send the engine parts out to a machine shop for cleaning,machining,and rebuilding of certain assembles,like the cylinder head.If it's an industrial based engine,parts should be cheaper and easier to come by.