SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Siezed perkins (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/88559-siezed-perkins.html)

wph36 06-13-2012 12:55 PM

Siezed perkins

41' Morgan been in storage a couple winters, and have gone down to crank engine (Perkins 4-154) every few months, with the last time being Oct 2011 ....went down recently, and can't budge it. Put a pipe wrench on it and no go. I'm supposing first thing would be to pull the injectors and get some unsiezing product, or plain old diesel in there ...can anyone else think of what next?

dabnis 06-13-2012 04:08 PM

Re: Siezed perkins

Perhaps the block froze and cracked from low temps causing coolant to leak down into the cylinders and cause hydro lock or corrosion between the pistons and cylinder walls, maybe bearing seizure also? If the coolant is low in the tank it may be inside the engine? Suggest you not force anything until you determine why it won't turn over. Removing the injectors would allow any coolant in the cylinders to escape.

Paul T

sea_hunter 06-13-2012 07:35 PM

Ouch. Not a good engine to have seized. Pull the injectors out and fill with WD40 or diesel. Let sit a couple of days and try the pipe wrench again with a cheater pipe. Sometimes if the engine was hydrolocked when winterized, water could have entered the cylinders and froze the engine. Make sure you flush the cylinders with fresh diesel before you reassemble. Good Luck

wph36 06-14-2012 11:37 AM

Thks for the quick replies ..will get down there to look see. Looking at some of the postings here and other forums, I understand I may have an issue getting those injectors out ...apparently they don't necessarily slide out when loosened?

PorFin 06-14-2012 12:16 PM

wph,

Yeah, the Perkins (CAV) injectors can give you a good fight. I recently pulled mine, the last time I had done it was four years ago -- they were reluctant to come out. The key is patience and persistence. A little PB Blaster, a little gentle leverage, and you'll be good to go.

Faster 06-14-2012 04:10 PM

Googled those CAV injectors... yikes, can see the issue there. Very glad for my Bosch injectors - more like pulling a spark plug.

dabnis 06-14-2012 04:20 PM

If it has glow plugs they may be easier to pull out? If there is coolant in the cylinders it should come out the plug holes.

Paul T

PorFin 06-14-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 884836)
If it has glow plugs they may be easier to pull out? If there is coolant in the cylinders it should come out the plug holes.

Paul T

Not sure about the 4.154, but do I know my 4.108 has no glow plugs.

I think pulling the injectors and having them pop tested is probably going to be a wise thing to do regardless of the cause of the engine seizure. May as well get it out of the way now while the enthusiasm and energy is relatively high. ;)

CarelessNavigator 06-14-2012 10:34 PM

You got me cringing with that pipe wrench. I would try removing the starter and get a pry bar on a tooth of the flywheel. The whole fulcrum lever thing works pretty good and will generate much more turning force with much less effort than a pipe wrench the chances of damaging anything and shouting lots of cus words will be much lower to.

bljones 06-14-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarelessNavigator (Post 884978)
You got me cringing with that pipe wrench. I would try removing the starter and get a pry bar on a tooth of the flywheel. The whole fulcrum lever thing works pretty good and will generate much more turning force with much less effort than a pipe wrench the chances of damaging anything and shouting lots of cus words will be much lower to.

No.
Quick way to bust flywheel teeth, and/or the bellhousing compared to the relativley mid torque applied at the crank which should already be able to deal with crank starting.