SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   volvo penta md2010 won't start (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/88803-volvo-penta-md2010-wont-start.html)

tahoemark 06-19-2012 08:20 PM

volvo penta md2010 won't start

I have to believe this is something simple, but with my limited knowledge I'm stumped. Engine is a volvo penta md2010 on a sail drive (2cyl 10hp). Last used 2 weeks ago. Two batteries both in good condition and charged. Turn key to start, lights light up for glow plug, but when turn to start nothing. No cranking, No clicking, nothing. Tried pulling kill switch out and in a couple of times, made sure it was in neutral, tried each battery, tried both batteries. This engine normally starts right up. What am I missing????
thanks guys

C-Wolf 06-19-2012 09:26 PM

Electrical issue.... Battery capacity might not be there to crank. Bendix on starter motor might be stuck as well ... Try to pull decompression lever and than turn belt by hand to reposition pistons (make sure contact is off). Charge batteries or even better bring another battery that has sufficient cranking capacity for diesel engine and connect + to existing battery + and - to motor ground. Crank and see what's happening. If motor starts that will indicate your battery is "charged" but not holding a charge therefore you will have to replace it. Hope this helps as similar symptoms I experienced last season. Best regards, C-Wolf

erps 06-19-2012 10:51 PM

Re: volvo penta md2010 won't start

Agree with C-wolf that it's an electrical problem and it's probably the wire that goes to the starter solenoid on your starter. You can bypass that wire with a short jumper wire from the big positive terminal on the starter, to the small terminal. If it cranks, then you know your battery and your starter are good and it's the starter circuit that's sketchy.

I had a Catalina 34 for a while and that boat was known to have a fuse in the starting circuit that would cause a fault like this. Newer motors I've seen in power boats have a reset circuit breaker on the engine. You might look for that on your motor as well.

arf145 06-20-2012 10:28 AM

Our Yanmar has a fuse in that circuit that will produce that situation. Apparently, every once in a while the Yanmar starter will jam and the resulting overload will blow the fuse. C-Wolf's procedure will un-jam.

tahoemark 06-20-2012 11:35 AM

thanks c-wolf and Ray. I'm confident that the batteries are good. Ray, I will try your ideas. It is definitely consistent with a circuit breaker (if there is one) as absolutely nothing happens. Hope there is a big red reset button!!!!:laugher

erps 06-20-2012 11:44 AM

A quick way to determine if batteries are part of the problem is to turn on some interior lights that you can see from the cockpit and then give the starter a turn. If the lights go out, the batteries are part of the problem. I don't think your batteries are the problem though.

GaryHLucas 06-20-2012 07:46 PM

A volt ohm meter can be had for as little as $10. Then you can stop guessing and start trouble shooting. One of the best investments you'll make for your boat!

Gary H Lucas

tahoemark 06-20-2012 08:28 PM

Gary,
Have one. What do you suggest I test??

klem 06-20-2012 08:45 PM

Yes, a voltmeter is the right way to approach this. Measure the resistance from the battery negative to the engine ground, there shouldn't be any. Once that is good, switch to voltage and put the black lead on ground and progressively move the red lead from the back of the switch to the starter solenoid checking each connection for good voltage (you need to be pressing the start button). You should find a place where there is suddenly little or no voltage. If there is voltage across your starter solenoid and the starter is not spinner, you likely either have a problem with the solenoid or the starter contact.

birdlives 07-25-2012 04:06 PM

Assuming the starter is good and you get nothing it is very likely a bad ground at the battery terminal or the ground the bolts on the engine below the starter.

check sailnet for threads on MD2040 that didnt start.