diesel filter size 2 micron or 10? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RichH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter

diesel filter size 2 micron or 10?

All things being equal, if I have clean fuel, would a 2 micron filter in a RACOR restrict the flow of fuel to the engine compared to a 10 micron filter ?

My 30HP Nanni Diesel has a 12 micron filter on the engine. I have a RACOR fuel-water separator and have been using a 2 micron filter.

I believe my fuel is clean, having installed two 6" access ports, removed the old fuel, hand cleaned the tank and replaced with new fuel.

I have not been able to achieve full RPM on the engine. It is rated for a max of 3600 RPM. But with a clean bottom and a re-pitched new prop, cant get more than 3200 RPM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2012
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Re: diesel filter size 2 micron or 10?

Why would you want to achieve max rpm?

Would you drive your car with the rev counter on the red line?

A boat [ assuming fuel economy and engine life is important] will be propped so that in flat water and with a clean bottom and at full throttle it runs revs BELOW max. Approximately midway between max torque and max rpm is a good starting point.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2012

At constant pressure/vacuum a 10然 Racor will filter at a rate of 5 times the amount of fuel than with a 2然. Filters are 'sized' based on GPM vs. 'differential pressure across the filter'. Filtering takes 'work'. So, in a system that develops a maximum vacuum (or pressure) by its lift pump using a 2然 instead of a 10然 .... you will get only 1/5th the flow of fuel oil. ..... and this relates to only clean filters and not filters that have trapped debris.

If for some reason you NEED (and you shouldn't) to filter with a 2然 instead of the 10然 to get the same amount of oil flow, you will need to increase the SURFACE AREA of the 2然 by 5 TIMES.
Without increasing the filter surface area AND if there is sufficient debris in the oil, that 2然 will also 'choke' with debris at 'more' than 5 TIMES FASTER than a 10然 .... simply because in nature there are exponentially more smaller sized particles than larger sized particles. Putting an undue load on your engine's lift pump (5 times more vacuum needed to deliver the SAME amount of fuel) by using a 2然 instead of the spec'd 10然 will increase the potential of breaking the diaphragm in your engines lift pump.

However in your case, the average RACOR is soooooo 'oversized' for small hp diesel engines that I would guestimate that the filters are not the cause of you not reaching max rpm in your engine .... check for too tight stuffing box, wrong prop pitch, errant rpm gage, etc.

Best way to check rpm is with an optical rpm gage vs. the flywheel; most 'tachometers' on small boats are usually in great error - either use a mechanical or optical tach.

There are other reasons why a 2然 should not be used, but the above should be sufficient 'for starters' on a sound technical filtration basis.

;-)
olson34 likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2012
Learning the HARD way...

On my Universal M25 I have a Raycor R24P (30 micron), and a WIX 33390 (10 micron) secondary filter. IIRC, the engine requires filtering to 17 micron (it might be 12 micron).

Under NO load, the engine will rev up to 3000 RPM. Under load, with the boat moving, it will rev up to 2600 RPM. Under load, while tied to the slip, it will rev to 2400 RPM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentIslandSailor View Post
All things being equal, if I have clean fuel, would a 2 micron filter in a RACOR restrict the flow of fuel to the engine compared to a 10 micron filter ?

My 30HP Nanni Diesel has a 12 micron filter on the engine. I have a RACOR fuel-water separator and have been using a 2 micron filter.

I believe my fuel is clean, having installed two 6" access ports, removed the old fuel, hand cleaned the tank and replaced with new fuel.

I have not been able to achieve full RPM on the engine. It is rated for a max of 3600 RPM. But with a clean bottom and a re-pitched new prop, cant get more than 3200 RPM.
I'd also check the exhaust elbow..
http://www.nannidiesel.com/images/st...3.30%20ENG.pdf

Last edited by aa3jy; 07-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.