Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Universal 5432 Throttle Set Up

"The problem is that when maneuvering in close quarters, it's too easy to kill the engine. And if you have to goose it, it's hard to get back to the ideal idle speed - there's no spring, no detent, or even a screwdriver adjust."

This is the part I don't quite understand. On my throttle, there is a very obvious stop at the idle position, then the lever has to be pushed hard against a spring to stop the engine.

Is it possible you have a missing spring?

Yes I have the same lever arrangement. Up/down to port for the gear, back/forth on the starboard for throttle.
Old 10-13-2012

sailorguy9 is on a distinguished road

Hey, Mark--
As far as I can see, there is no evidence that a spring was ever there. And if you look at the schematics in the Torreson link Stu posted, you can see the engines with the spring have a different speed control plate setup. Take a look at the speed control plate schematic for the M-11 and the M4-30. Does yours look like that? It looks like there are 2 control arms with the spring maybe in between them. If you look at mine - the 5432 - you can see that there's just one arm and there's no spring. But the odd thing is that the schematic of yours - 5424 - looks just like mine. No spring. WTF?
So now I'm wondering if your spring is not on the throttle plate, maybe it's somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

Paladin is on a distinguished road

After reading all the posts, maybe I could possibly help. An electrical shutoff is basically a solenoid that has a fuel inlet and outlet.Power applied allows it to remain open letting fuel through. This is installed inline before the engine. It has 2 wires, one ground and one hot that is cut off or on through a switch. Appropriate fittings needed. Your throttle setup as follows, get someone to move your throttle setup from the helm. You get in a location where you can observe the linkage at the engine. Locate the lever that moves back and forth when the throttle is moved. Determine which way is off. Inspect the little throttle ends where they pin to each end of the cable. ANY play will be AMPLIFIED through the linkage. Look for loose pins, throttle ends (miniature ball joints named heim joints or another variation that look like mini turnbuckles. ANY play here will cause a variation of throttle response. Wear also happens in the threads where they screw on. Another problem can be the cable itself not clamped down firmly enough. This allows outer jacket to move, cancelling movement by cable inside. There is a stop on most all injector pumps that can be felt if cable is unhooked and worked at engine itself. Once hooked up, cable friction will not allow you to feel this. I hope this somehow helps.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-27-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 10-30-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

You gentlemen are discussing what is at the binnacle, which is basically meaningless for the purpose of this discussion.

What you need to do is, as some have mentioned, look at the website i linked and look at your engine.

Separate throttle and transmission cables AT the engine? Check. (Doesn't matter what's "upstairs" - knobs, levers, upside down or backwards, skyhooks, simply doesn't matter, they're there, right?)

Separate kill cable at engine? If NOT, then the ONLY way to stop the engine is to cut off the fuel.

As noted, some use solenoids, but I've rarely seen them on Universals.

My M25 has a separate kill cable which goes to the fuel cutoff inside the engine just under the throttle lever.

If you don't have the separate kill cable, then either it's missing or there isn't one on your engine.

THAT'S the "detective" work you have to do.

Good luck.

PS - Look here: http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/ca...ors=&comment1=

Last line, Ref 99, Stop Cable, Optional Add On Equipment.

Could that be a "clue?"

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 10-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

My Universal was setup the same way with a separate kill cable to a push/pull knob that stopped the fuel flow. The throttle was adjusted from idle to WOT with no "pull back to kill" available. That way it operates much like a vehicle: push the lever to go, pull back to stop.
Old 10-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In 1978 the Universal Model 5432 was introduced. It was a 91 cu in, 32 hp, 4 cylinder, based on the Kubota V-1501 block and fitted with a Hurth HBW-100 marine transmission. It was built from 1978 to 1982. It was also called the “Atomic Diesel”. Approximately 650 were sold....In 1982 the Model 5432 was replaced by the Model M40, a 91 cu in, 32 hp, 4 cylinder, based on the Kubota V-1502 block and fitted with a Hurth HBW-100 marine transmission. It was produced from 1982 to 1998. Approximately 360 were sold.
In essence - the 5432 and M40 are the same engine. The workings look VERY similar to my M25...

Here is what I would do; go to the local Kubota dealer, ask them for a quote on part number 15738-57706. If it is <$100 (and it will be) buy and install it. It replaces the cover that is on the stbd side of the engine under the governor control plate. For details on that see http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel...ing-power.html if you can't figure out where it goes, PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2012

Eherlihy, thanks for that part number. I sure wish I could see a picture before I plunk down $100. None of the parts breakdowns I've seen have a pic. I'll see if my local Kubota guy does. Does your M25 have that assembly? I didn't see on Torreson's diagram. And, BTW, I didn't see anything in your link that pertains to throttle / kill linkage.

Stu, thanks for pointing out that the kill cable is optional, despite your sarcasm. I've always approached the issue as being at the engine, not at the binnacle. But in Mariner36's original post, he indicated that he was thinking about a single lever control. I don't care about that.
All I'm wanting is a way to have a repeatable idle speed and to kill the engine. A friend of mine has a Cal 35, same engine, same throttle setup, and he's complaining of the same thing I am. (He's hit the dock twice now...) If a number of early 80's boats are out there with the same setup, it seems like somebody might have come up with a reasonably simple fix. Maybe not.
I like Paladin's idea of a solenoid, although it might be a PIA to wire up. And it's another component to fail.
I'll poke around to see if I can see a pic of the Kubota assembly. That might be the simplest way to go, if it fits.
Thanks to all of you for your input.
-ht
Old 11-23-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Here is a pic from the Kubota D850 Parts Manual;

The entire thing (assembly 70) is available as part number 15738-57706
Old 11-25-2012

That sure looks like it would work. Looks like it fits just under the injection pump. I've never taken that cover off, so I don't know what's in there, but I'll take a look in the next couple of days.
Thanks for that.
-ht
Old 09-03-2013

westerml is on a distinguished road

This thread interests me and agree that under the heat of tight space docking, power boat dodging, wind, etc. (at least at my marina yesterday) it would be nice to have a stop point at the lowest idle before stall...and be able to come back to that without thinking about it..one less variable. So through all my efforts and work on my 5432 on Cal 35Mkii it is based on the Kubota block which sits in the L345 tractor...so one approach may be to see how that tractor shuts down versus taking the throttle to no fuel. Just a thought. Or a mechanical stop at the binnacle. Maybe a SS toggle that rocks a cam up to the needed stop point. This would of course require a hole in the binnacle (not ideal) or cable could could operate in same theory down at engine. In stops the linkage...out allows linkage to move further.