Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012

CSharp is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Universal 5411 fuel pump replacement

My 1981 Catalina 30 Universal 5411 died on the way into the slip but will usually restart after bleeding at fuel injector pump but eventually just dies again. I replaced several of the fuel lines and fuel filters. The fuel pump looks newer. I have had the boat for about 1 1/2 years. I took the pump apart and inspected the diaphragm and it looks fine. Several times I got the motor to run for about 10 minutes but each time the motor would start to stall. I could keep it running by bleeding the fuel system at the injector pump. A couple of times after replacing a filter or a fuel line it took forever to get the fuel back to the injectors. Sometimes I can get fuel to the injectors and other times I cannot. I have read about installing an electric pump but would like to stay with mechanical. The best price I can find is $163. I am not even sure my problem is ths pump. Is there a better source for a fuel pump?
Any way to confirm if my problem is the pump?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 30 Universal 5411 fuel pump replacement

Certainly sounds like its not getting enough fuel. Since the 5411 is really a Kubota Z-500 engine, a fuel pump from them rather than a Universal dealer would be much cheaper. Putting an electrical pump in is another option. Would allow you to see if the mechanical pump is the problem and could be left in to simpify bleeding the system.
Old 08-13-2012

Thanks JimsCal. I checked my dipstick and does have Z-500 stamped on it. I called the Kubota dealer and they claim to have a mechanical pump for the Z-500 in stock for $61. I will go in and see if it really matches the 5411. I would still like to put an electic pump in as a back up and for bleeding the system. I see the facet 40106 has been recommended a lot. I would like to buy a pump locally but no one seems to carry facet. Does anyone know what specs I should ask for? The Facet pump is 12v, low pressure 4-7 psi, 32gph. Anything else important? I plan to run a line from the Racor to 12V electric pump and then from the 12V pump to mechanical pump. Rather than connecting wire to ignition I am thinking about installing a toggle in the engine compartment. Too often I forget to turn ignition off when anchoring or sailing. I am curious what happens if the pump stays on when the motor is not running?

Last edited by CSharp; 08-14-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 08-14-2012

Thanks JimsCal. I checked my dipstick and does have Z-500 stamped on it. I called the Kubota dealer and they claim to have a mechanical pump for the Z-500 in stock for $61. I will go in and see if it really matches the 5411. I would still like to put an electic pump in as a back up and for bleeding the system. I see the facet 40106 has been recommended a lot. I would like to buy a pump locally but no one seems to carry facet. Do you know what specs I should ask for? The Facet pump is 12v, low pressure 4-7 psi, 32gph. Anything else important? I plan to run a line from the Racor to 12V electric pump and then from the 12V pump to mechanical pump. Rather than connecting wire to ignition I am thinking about installing a toggle in the engine compartment. Too often I forget to turn ignition off when anchoring or sailing. I am curious what happens if the pump stays on when the motor is not running?
Old 08-19-2012

Well after replacing fuel lines, filters and fuel pump it turns out that my fuel gauge is off or the pickup line is short. The gauge showed more than a quarter tank. I pulled the pickup line to check for clogged screen. There wasn't a screen but the stick was dry. Wasn't even touching the fuel. Filled her up and she runs like new. Well I have new hoses and spare pump now. Bleeding the system wasny so bad when there was actually fuel in it!
Old 08-20-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Well that brought a smile to my face this morning! Glad the problem is solved.

Tags
catalina 30 , fuel pump , universal 5411