SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2YM15 Installed - Sound OK??

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
I just installed a new 2YM15, it seems to be running fine although the transmission makes a fairly loud high pitched "whine" sound (kinda sounds like a jet engine to me) when in forward. I have no idea if this is normal, I uploaded a video of it to youtube and I'm hoping somebody who knows these engines can tell me if it sounds Ok?

Check it out here:

2ym15 Running - YouTube

Thanks!

#3 ·
WAY too quiet and smooth. There's something wrong with that engine!!!

(She sounds great.)

I get a little whine when I engage my Kanzaki transmission but it goes away almost immediately. I don't know why but it's been that way for 29 years and I have had no issues with the transmission EVER (knock on wood).

Make sure the whine isn't coming from the stern tube/cutlass bearing.

#4 ·
I can't watch the video at the moment but I'll say I enjoy the look people give me when they hear my single cylinder 1GM10 for the first time. I always have to reassure them that yep, that's exactly how it's supposed to sound.

#5 ·
No experience with your particular engine / gearbox combination but I think many gear boxes will make some gear noise when in a reduction mode. Yours sounds maybe a little loud but you are "up close and personal" with it in the video. As mentioned, check the fluid level and make sure you are using the recommended fluid. Or, have the dealer come out and listen to it, who will possibly say "they all do that". If the oil is anything but clear and clean suggest you change it right away and do an oil analysis on the old oil. If the sound gets any louder over time definitely have the dealer listen to it. Let us know how it comes out.

Paul T

#7 ·
Don't know about the 2YM15, which I assume is newer, but with the Kanzaki trans on the 2GM20F, the bottom of the trans dipstick is the low, and the low mark is the high. Only maybe a quarter inch between them and the level is checked with the stick in but not screwed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.