Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

scud is on a distinguished road
VP MD2040B rocker arms oil lube advice needed

Hello guys I think I need some advice.

I took apart the crank box 'cause its aluminum cast had fractured. replaced it and re-asembled all the rocker arms exactly in the position they were installed before. Actually the system is engineered 'simple-stupid' 'cause you need to be really good to make a mistake. In fact the shaft on which the rocker arms are installed has 3 notches which lodge the 3 ball-screws which bolt down the box in place. So the shaft cannot be improperly rotated or positioned. Assemblying the other components is a forced-way job meaning that you cannot divert from the right path.

That said I re-assebled everything and adjusted the valve lash by the book and did a short (5' ) first run without the crank box lid in order to make sure the rocker arms were properly lubricated.

Starting from the end of the shaft were the oil is pumped in i could see the rocker arms # 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 properly lubricated with oil dripping from the top pinhole and being channeled toward the valve cap.

Only the rocker #1 (the closest to the oil inlet) was lubricated 'cause I could see the oil flowing out from the sides but no oil was coming up from the top pin-hole. Engine cold and pressure readings 2.5 bar.

It goes without saying I made sure the hollow shaft was clean as well as all the pinholes on it and on the arms.

Do you have any possible explanation? it stands to reason that the oil pressure is higher on that side and that oil ought to come out there rather than the following rockers.

I plan on running more extensively to see if anything changes but it is really puzzling.

Scud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012

Re: VP MD2040B rocker arms oil lube advice needed

I tried to post the exploded view of hte engine block but it doesn't allow me to post it allthou' it is smaller size than instructed both dimensions and Kb and also I tried to embed the picture from the website but I'd guess that it doesn't allow peolple from the US to access Eu prices and and the way round.
Old 08-28-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

You said:

"Starting from the end of the shaft were the oil is pumped in i could see the rocker arms # 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 properly lubricated with oil dripping from the top pinhole and being channeled toward the valve cap.

Only the rocker #1 (the closest to the oil inlet) was lubricated 'cause I could see the oil flowing out from the sides but no oil was coming up from the top pin-hole. Engine cold and pressure readings 2.5 bar."

Not quite sure what you meant about #1? Proper viscosity oil? Maybe wait until the entire engine warms up? Maybe some obstruction in #1 passages? Pictures could help?

Paul T
Old 08-28-2012

Thanks Paul

with #1 ricker arm I mean the one installed at the end of the shaft where the oil is pumped in (so on the front side of the engine) while the others are numbered after their position from front to rear of the engine.

The oil is according to the VP specs and regarding a possible clogging og the holes when I assembled the shaft and the rockers I made sure to clean them all and I tried also with a pin on the top pinhole of the rocker. It shouldn't be the case since the oil is flowing from both sides of the rocker arm which means is flowing out properly from the shaft pinhole

Scud
Old 08-28-2012

Man I can't succeed posting any picture or drawing :-/
Old 08-28-2012

Old 08-28-2012

Testata cilindro, SN-5101311299 - Dettaglio categoria

try this
Old 08-28-2012

OK, from the diagram, assuming the right side of the engine is the front and rocker #1 is closest to the oil feed tube #39? it would appear that it is receiving the maximum amount of pressure? If all the other arms are bleeding from the hole and out the sides it appears they are OK? If #1 is bleeding from the sides it is probably also getting enough oil? The only reason that I can think of is there may be a mis- match of some kind between #1 and the shaft or an obstruction of some kind in the rocker itself. Suggest you just run it for a while and then check #1 for excess wear or scoring. As long as it is bleeding out the sides it probably is being lubed OK? Or you could fit a new #1 rocker and see what happens. If your oil pressure meets specs and the other rockers are OK not sure what else you can do?

Paul T
Old 08-29-2012

THANK YOU PAUL

I ran the engine for a while and warmed up the oil-
Looking at the rocker arm #1 from the top pinhole I could see lot of oil bleeding on the sides and some oil slowly climbing up into the pinhole too. I revved up the engine and finally the oil came out of the pihole as well allthou' lot less than the other arms. My only explanation is that that rocker arm busging is worn out and most of the oil leaks from the sides before taking its way up and out of the pinhole and for that it needs some more pressure.

I'll check it every so many hours to see if it deteriorates.

see you on water
Old 08-29-2012

Right, it is likely a worn rocker or a minor obstruction you can't see. As long as it is getting oil it is probably OK as long as the valve lash stays properly set. If you don't see any major change after some hours, no problem. If so, new rockers, assuming the shaft is within specs.

Paul T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.