Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-23-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Book Recommendation, Maintaining my Yanmar

I have a 1981 Yanmar 1GM, new to me on August 3 of this year. It has run great for the past 2 months, but now it's time to learn a bit about this engine. I know nothing about diesel engines. So what would be a good, entry-level book to learn the basics about maintenance, diagnoses and simple repairs. I don't want anything too technical, because I won't get through it. There's a good diesel mechanic nearby, so I'd go to him for anything major. If I could learn how to change filters, check fluids, winterize, assess things before they fail, and just have a better understanding of what's knocking around down there, that would be great. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Book Recommendation, Maintaining my Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I have a 1981 Yanmar 1GM, new to me on August 3 of this year. It has run great for the past 2 months, but now it's time to learn a bit about this engine. I know nothing about diesel engines. So what would be a good, entry-level book to learn the basics about maintenance, diagnoses and simple repairs. I don't want anything too technical, because I won't get through it. There's a good diesel mechanic nearby, so I'd go to him for anything major. If I could learn how to change filters, check fluids, winterize, assess things before they fail, and just have a better understanding of what's knocking around down there, that would be great. Suggestions?
Yanmar 1GM Service Manual Index

http://www.yanmarmarine.co.uk/pdfs/o.../128270-4E.pdf

Try either of those. More than you need but you'd hardly want to read the thing cover to cover.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-23-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Search you tube for a variety of videos on small diesel engine maintenance and operation.
Watch them.

Then find a knowledgeable boating buddy on your waterfront who will spent a couple of hours with you over a beer talking and looking over your 1GM and pointing out what's what and how to do simple maintenance.

Then buy and read a book. There are several available that are good including Nigel Calder's classic.
Old 09-24-2012

Froggy is on a distinguished road

I like this much better than the factory manual.
Yanmar Inboards, 1975-98 (Seloc Marine Manuals)
Old 09-24-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

OK, thanks for these suggestions. That'll give me a good start.
Old 09-24-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

as for general diesel books, Nigel Calder's Marine Diesel Engines seems quite comprehensive. Troubleshooting Marine Diesels by Peter Compton seems simpler to understand, and I usually go to it first.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.