SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Volvo Penta MD5 Exhaust Pipe Elbow

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  GMC 
#1 ·
Good size hole opened up in this elbow recently. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Part number is 838224. It is a fairly simple pipe, but I just cannot find anyone who stocks or sells it. Possible place in Europe wants about 250.00 - 300.00, but I have not contacted them yet. Diesel MD5, raw water cooled. Any leads would be appreciated.
Greg

#3 · (Edited)
Guys, the usual Volvo trick.
They cannot sell these engines unless their sticker price is competitive, but later you find that their spare parts prices are astronomic.
I have learned that one myself, with an MD17C.
In 1998, they wanted £1300 (close to $2000) for an exhaust manifold on what was then a 20 year-old engine.
The equivalent part for the Lister-Petter was 1/7 of that. Yes folks, 1/7. That is £186.
I have not forgiven this price-gouging, and never will.
I will never buy another Volvo.
Never.
Next motor will be a Kubota.

#8 ·
Things being what they are in this economy I will give my opinion. I am new to this site, about to retire and enjoy the good life. What I am is a career diesel mechanic. If you have the part off I would suggest taking it to a welding shop first or machine shop second. I do not remember what this particular part looks like but you would be amazed at what can be fabricated. In the past we (companies I have worked for) fabricated when parts were unavailable. Depending on where you are based you might be surprised at how inexpensively a part can be fabricated. Best of luck.

#12 ·
Boat did well in the storm and I removed the pipe on Sunday. I had dreaded this, but it worked out fine. Two allen bolts loosened up nicely and I pulled the elbow off. I contacted a local welder today and will show him the piece tomorrow and see what he can do. I will you know the progress.
Stay tuned.
Greg

#14 ·
I left the elbow with a welder over the winter and just got it back. Looks good. They ground it out and welded a piece of stainless in, maybe 5 inches by two inches. Should do the trick. Cost me $120.00 for the work. Any thoughts of a heat resistant paint for it, or is it worth it. Hope everyone else found their solution.
Regards,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.