Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

pkloop is on a distinguished road
Question on Volvo MD6A problems

I have an md6a on a boat I recently purchased. The engine would not rotate. We removed the engine from the boat (hoo boy was that fun ) and began a tear down in the garage. Thec cylinders were full of diesel fuel, the oil was a nice blend of diesel/oil as well. Oh..and the pistons are still stuck..oil pan is off, motor is laying on its side we're spraying marvel, pub, trying to get them loose..

The PO had mounted an electronic fuel pump on the fuel line coming to the motor..could this cause the flooding?

What could cause it ?

Any ideas on where to start focusing?

PO also apparently didn't add oil to the tranny as that was dry as well
Doesn't appear to be damaged, spins & shifts OK etc etc..anything I should looking for in there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

Paladin is on a distinguished road
Re: Question on Volvo MD6A problems

Possible causes, is the fuel tank higher than the engine? The fuel could flood the engine through the fuel return. Also,if the breather on the tank is stopped up,expansion could cause fuel to flow backwards to engine. A stuck injector would only compound the problem. I cant see it flooding all cylinders though. If the fuel rail (the passage the fuel runs through) is internal to block, the injectors will have several o rings on them. These types of engines are notorious for this problem.
Old 10-30-2012

Update:

Tore engine down and got it unstuck..appears very good inside. No damage to cylinders or bottom half. Approx 500 bucks in gaskets/thermostat/impeller kit...checked all torques...cleaned and reassembled engine.

Fuel injector pump sent off to rebuild house..another 450 bucks..one positive..injectors themselves clean
and in good shape. Pump itself has a stuck pressure regulator but other then that no major damage and assuming they can get parts should come back in good running order, cleaned up, ready to go.

Rebuild house has no idea how fuel would get in there..suggested PO maybe poured in cylinders? Injectors were loose when we pulled engine out.

Got a quote on a completely refurbished pump..3300..WTF? That's insane..speaking of insane every part on this engine costs an arm & a leg more then those for other makes. AND ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO FIND. This motor had better run for a long time..it will also be the LAST Volvo I ever own..

Last edited by pkloop; 10-30-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
..it will also be the LAST Volvo I ever own..
welcome to the club. I joined it six years ago.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-31-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

When I rebuilt my MD7A I had the injector pump completely rebuilt at an injector shop and it cost me around $600.

I have found parts to be a bit on the expensive side, but I haven't had any trouble getting what I need from my local Volvo Penta shop. Most recently was the water cooled exhaust elbow. It took a couple of days to get it in, and it cost $150, which I didn't think was too outrageous.

It is my first marine diesel so I have nothing to compare to, but since the rebuild it has been very reliable and runs beautifully.
Hull#101
Old 10-31-2012

NCboatrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkloop View Post
Update:

Got a quote on a completely refurbished pump..3300..WTF? That's insane..speaking of insane every part on this engine costs an arm & a leg more then those for other makes. AND ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO FIND. This motor had better run for a long time..it will also be the LAST Volvo I ever own..
That price for an injection pump is completely out of order. It is about half the price of a replacement new engine complete with heat exchanger cooling, transmission, panel, mounts etc.(also comes with a full warranty). I suggest that you get that confirmed and if it is indeed true, get the pump back from them. There are other companies that do the same work.

Stanley
Old 11-10-2012

Update: pump came back in excellent rebuilt condition..The motors has been completely reassembled and guess what? It runs like a top :-). Sounds good, starts easily. Have ran the engine for a few hours up in the garage and everything is running as it should. Oil is clean/no fuel in it. Water is pumping good and clean no oil/diesel. Only one issue remains..

On the end of the transmission where it would bolt up to the shaft there is oil coming out..slowly..but its leaking around that seal. Went to look up the part it may need and found about 10 different transmissions this motor had. grrr
Does anybody know where the tranny is marked? I cant for the life of me find which one it is..

I'm all excited to get the engine back in the boat and after personally doing a complete teardown/clean out /rebuild I find myself stumped by a lousy seal on the tranny..sigh...

Any ideas gang?
Old 11-10-2012

Image of tranny..finger is pointing at where I believe the seal is leaking. Also..is there a special tool to remove the end cap? It has a slot in it that looks like a flathead screw..only much larger.
Old 11-10-2012

Image to
Old 11-10-2012

Appear