Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

ronbo1 is on a distinguished road
Non-OEM Oil Filters

I've always used Westerbeke oil filters for the 12 oil changes on my 82B except for the last change. Used the correct cross-referenced Sierra filter (with Westerbeke P/N on the label). I always hand tighten but usually need a wrench to remove.

After 20hrs the Sierra blew the gasket dumping 7 qts of oil. Tried a second Sierra tightening it less but the o-ring blew right away.
(Normal tightening is 1/2-3/4 rotation after contact).

I found a Westerbeke OEM filter and tried again. After several hours running it looks OK.

Comparing the two filters, side by side, there's a small difference in gasket dimensions. Not sure if that's the cause but it could be.
Perhaps, I needed to tighten beyond the the usual. There are no torque specs on the Sierra.

By the way, the Sierra is the same price as the Westerbeke.

Anybody have this experience?

Ronbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Non-OEM Oil Filters

Why use the Sierra? I have read that some non-specific filters can effect oil pressure, different pressure relief valve? Suggest you stay with what has worked successfully. 7 qts in the bilge, messy.

Paul T
kd3pc likes this.
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I switched back to the OEM (Mitsubishi) filter after my Vetus diesel engine began slowly leaking oil into the drip pan. While installing the OEM filter, I discovered that it fit more closely inside a circular lip, so there was gasket to metal contact, instead of metal to metal contact with the aftermarket "comparable". That, along with a replacement of a defective impeller and a cleaning of the raw water cooling tubes, caused the oil leaks to virtually disappear.

I also switched back to an OEM secondary fuel filter after experiencing a slow fuel leak, which also virtually disappeared. Although the aftermarket comparable parts were very similar, there were slight differences in the O rings.

I will be using OEM parts from now on, even though they are more expensive.
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I am not here to defend Sierra filter. But the oil filter gasket can be blown out by the oil pressure, it suggested you didn't tighten the filter enough or the gasket was not properly seated.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

There is essentially ONE world source for the 'resinated filter paper' used in engine oil filters.
Engine manufacturers dont make oil filters, they typically buy from the filter 'packagers' who 'private brand' the 'externals' for the engine manufacturers. The least amount of 'middle men' involved, the less the purchase cost.

There is an ongoing problem with 'gaskets' these days as the old 'standby' neoprene / BUNA gasket material is not totally compatible with the new blends of oil especially if the oil has 'reclaim' oil in it. The probable best practice at this time with spin-on filters is:
1. thoroughly CLEAN the sealing surfaces on the engine filter body
2. LUBRICATE the gasket with oil ... pull the gasket out of spin-on filter and 'oil' all surfaces including the BARE 'gasket groove'.
3. Buy an oil filter 'strap wrench' and increase the recommended 'amount of hand-tight turns' after 'contact' ... you'll need that strap-wrench to get the filter 'off'.
4. If the 'old' gasket appears 'softened' or swollen (deformed due to 'compression') ... change back to the engine manufacturer's RECOMMENDED oil blend ... or contact the engine manufacturer to get their 'current' recommendation for the 'gasket' material.

For 'auto parts store' equivalents:
Example: WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home --->filter lookup ---> off highway --->marine ---> Engine mfg. ---> part no. or model no.
Most of the 'filter builders' have such 'filter look-ups'.
I have no commercial interest in Wix, but they are very common in the east coast auto parts shops, and very well made, at quite reasonable prices.

BTW - Ive been deeply involved for the past 35+ years in 'filtration engineering'. I avoid 'asian made' filters.

Other Cautions relating to so-called bio-fuels made from 'reclaim' -- be very careful with your filter 'gaskets' and o-rings as there is a lot of skull-duggery going on and if the fuel has more than 5%-10% of 'reclaim', you can have stupendous 'gasket incompatibility' problems especially when the reclaimers and their distributors are 'dishonest', etc. and there is too much 'oleic acid', etc. in the 'blend'. If you use this 'stuff', be sure to constantly monitor your fuel line filters for 'leakage'.

Last edited by RichH; 10-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

In my case, I believe the oil filter housing diameter was slightly different, resulting in the aftermarket oil filter catching on the metal ring instead of seating inside it and allowing the gasket to contact the metal of the engine block.

Perhaps I could have forced it into the proper position with a filter wrench, but the instructions specified hand tightening only.
Old 10-11-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

For my Universal I bought a number of Bosch oil filters. They seem to be well made and I've had no issues over the last year using them.

I also have some Wix fuel filters I haven't tried yet. Again, they look well made.
Old 10-11-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Other Cautions relating to so-called bio-fuels made from 'reclaim' -- be very careful with your filter 'gaskets' and o-rings as there is a lot of skull-duggery going on and if the fuel has more than 5%-10% of 'reclaim', you can have stupendous 'gasket incompatibility' problems especially when the reclaimers and their distributors are 'dishonest', etc. and there is too much 'oleic acid', etc. in the 'blend'. If you use this 'stuff', be sure to constantly monitor your fuel line filters for 'leakage'.
Is this the reason my TDi vehicle specifies no more than 5% biodiesel?
Old 10-11-2012

ronbo1 is on a distinguished road

RichH,

I think you're right about the filter not being tight enough but I wasn't going to try a third time! And there's no telling what the gasket is made of, or the hardness, of the Sierra.

I hear that the Westerbeke filter IS a rebadged Wix.

Ronbo
Old 10-11-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

At a Yanmar class the instructor advised to never, ever use a filter on a Yanmar other than a Yanmar filter. He said while other filters may fit and "match", no other filters will not have the build quality and internal features Yanmar has built into their filters. As he several other times stepped outside the Yanmar playbook, I dont think he was just trying to sell company parts. I have received similar vendor advice from Westerbeke.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.