Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Diesel Genset alternatives

Folks, I'm looking to alternatives to the realitively expensive standard genset makers like Onan, Northern Lights etc..
Those puppies run to 5k just for the smallest of units.

Can I get some feedback on if taking a unit like this out of it's frame and installing it will or will not work?

At 1200 bucks it seems like a viable alternative, even if I have to build a deck box and leave it topsides..

All Power America Portable Diesel Generator — 6500 Surge Watts, 5000 Rated Watts, Model# APG3201 | Portable Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 10-24-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Diesel Genset alternatives

Another alternative is a diesel 12 volt gen-set although I haven't priced them.

Aquamarine, Inc -
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Nah, I'm looking for 120v, sewing machine, air conditioning etc.. without a huge inverter and battery bank.
Old 10-24-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Folks, I'm looking to alternatives to the realitively expensive standard genset makers like Onan, Northern Lights etc..
Those puppies run to 5k just for the smallest of units.

Can I get some feedback on if taking a unit like this out of it's frame and installing it will or will not work?

At 1200 bucks it seems like a viable alternative, even if I have to build a deck box and leave it topsides..

All Power America Portable Diesel Generator — 6500 Surge Watts, 5000 Rated Watts, Model# APG3201 | Portable Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
One small ting to consider the "All Power America Portable Diesel Generator" is air cooled.

Air cooled = more noise, need good ventilation (forced?), dry exhaust must find a solution to get it out
Old 10-24-2012

Yeah, noticed it was 75db (loud), figured I'd add a blower and exhaust to my engine compartment (it's not really a room on the Irwin, but it's big).
Alternative is of course a good deck box behind the center cockpit - with the exhaust facing the stern - and the noise following it.

Then again, one reviewer - on a boat - said he tapped it into his boat exhaust (wet).
Old 10-24-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Those land based gensets aren't designed for marine use. Not designed for spark arresting, corrosion prevention etc. Not to mention that they're loud as all hell.

That being said, I have a little Honda EU2000 to run my A/C. I wouldn't carry any bigger though. Wish Honda would make a little EU2000d though!!!
Old 10-24-2012

My alternative to the diesel is the Yamaha 2800 - slightly larger than the Honda 2000, but a lot more power to run A/C and charger.

I'd just really like to stay diesel, if possible
Old 10-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Portable units are fine, but really have to be taken out to the transom every time you want to use them. Even tapping into an exhaust system really won't get rid of the problems since they aren't designed for it.

We use a small Honda when weekend camping to run the AC, but any more would require a real one.
Old 10-24-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

You're not comparing apples to apples Chuck. The air cooled models are light duty high rpm (3600 vs. 1800), and as previously mentioned, loud. Not saying you can't do it and save some $$, but overall I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run (and safer) going with a marine, water cooled genset even though it's going to be much more expensive and a big job to install.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-24-2012

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah, noticed it was 75db (loud), figured I'd add a blower and exhaust to my engine compartment (it's not really a room on the Irwin, but it's big). Alternative is of course a good deck box behind the center cockpit - with the exhaust facing the stern - and the noise following it.
I would think that the biggest issue I would have (especially if you came and anchored alongside me) would be the noise because let's face it, mostly you're going to run mains appliances more on anchor than while sailing.

The only way to get rid of noise from such a machine is to box it and insulate the heck out of it but then your air cooling may want some say in that.

Quote:
Then again, one reviewer - on a boat - said he tapped it into his boat exhaust (wet).
How would a dry exhaust work piped into the "wet" exhaust when the main engine is not running? I'm not sure that it would be good for the exhaust piping (possibly rubber?) but then again I'm not sure what your pipes look like.

Looking at the advert posted, the description says "electric start" but I have to say the little handle thingy on the right hand side looks awfully like a pull start to me

Finally, looking at the lone injector pipe in the picture, it looks like a single cylinder which is likely to present some significant vibration issues. I know from just fitting a wind genny the extents I had to go to to keep the thing quite - single cylinder diesels are not known for their smooth running.

I think I agree with JRD22, you'll possibly live to regret not spending the extra $$$ on a proper marine unit in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke