Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4-108 Fuel Injector Pump Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
I really should read my posts as my auto correct on the cell phone does fun things. I unfortunately do have the water heater right there in the port bunk area making access fun. I honestly have no clue as to the hours on my motor as until recently the hour meter was not working.
Have your oil checked and cross your fingers. Are there no fuel logs or other records aboard from which to make an estimate? Most of the boats that we have seen in the 1983-86 era range had, roughly, 3000 hours on them. We were at about 3300 when our pump went and our sister ship--Ocean Angel--lost hers at 3250+/-. PM me if your oil comes back dirty and I'll send you some information via email.

Take care
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012
Old as Dirt!

Letrappes--If you are certain your only problem is leakage around the throttle shaft, the link, below, will be very worth while as to your rebuild efforts. Click on: Leaking Injector Pump - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums and page down to post Number 30.

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-14-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road

It's been about two months since I originally posted about this. I was very hesitant to get into this project due to never having done any real work on a diesel other than changing oil and filters. So this weekend I finally got into it.

Due to the tight tolerances below the heat exchanger I had to pull it off in order to get at the fuel injector. I will never say anything nice about whoever designed the mounts for that system. There was just enough room to almost get a socket on the four bolts that mount it to the engine but not enough room to get your hand in there. I had to ask a friend to help and luckily she is 5'2" <100 lbs and has small hands that could get in there. It is absolutely crazy how that is mounted.

So after a few hours draining the system, pulling the heat exchanger off and figuring out how to take the throttle off the fuel injector pump I found the seal that was the problem. I took my time and was as clean as possible and managed to get the old seal scraped off the pieces. Putting the new seal back in and re-aligning the whole mess was another fun issue that I tackled the second day. Everything managed to go back together after a few more hours and it was time to start it up.

I ended up running the motor for a few hours and not a drop of diesel came out of the new seal and everything appears to be nice and tight. I'm going to see about getting my engine oil checked after I put a few more hours on it as I changed the oil at the same time. Hopefully for only $20 and maybe 10 hours of time I did what would have taken about the same time for me plus about $700 for a shop rebuild of the fuel injector pump.

I really have no clue as to hours on the engine. I purchased the boat with the reduced price of not knowing much about the engine and so far it appears to be solid other than the now fixed fuel leak and a few small oil leaks around the head. Those leaks will be a near future project.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 01-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Glad you finally got it sorted, Scott!

Look at it this way: Not only have you saved a lot of hard-earned $$$, but you'll be a lot more familiar with the beastie next time something needs fixing...
Old 01-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
It's been about two months since I originally posted about this. I was very hesitant to get into this project due to never having done any real work on a diesel other than changing oil and filters. So this weekend I finally got into it.

Due to the tight tolerances below the heat exchanger I had to pull it off in order to get at the fuel injector. I will never say anything nice about whoever designed the mounts for that system. There was just enough room to almost get a socket on the four bolts that mount it to the engine but not enough room to get your hand in there. I had to ask a friend to help and luckily she is 5'2" <100 lbs and has small hands that could get in there. It is absolutely crazy how that is mounted.

So after a few hours draining the system, pulling the heat exchanger off and figuring out how to take the throttle off the fuel injector pump I found the seal that was the problem. I took my time and was as clean as possible and managed to get the old seal scraped off the pieces. Putting the new seal back in and re-aligning the whole mess was another fun issue that I tackled the second day. Everything managed to go back together after a few more hours and it was time to start it up.

I ended up running the motor for a few hours and not a drop of diesel came out of the new seal and everything appears to be nice and tight. I'm going to see about getting my engine oil checked after I put a few more hours on it as I changed the oil at the same time. Hopefully for only $20 and maybe 10 hours of time I did what would have taken about the same time for me plus about $700 for a shop rebuild of the fuel injector pump.

I really have no clue as to hours on the engine. I purchased the boat with the reduced price of not knowing much about the engine and so far it appears to be solid other than the now fixed fuel leak and a few small oil leaks around the head. Those leaks will be a near future project.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Congratulations on your success. I am very pleased it turned out so well for you (I should only have been so lucky!). One of the most frustrating things about our boats is that many things are nearly impossible to reach/repair unless you are a relatively small person and very agile. It really can be a pain in the neck (literally!!!).

Take care... Good Sailing...
Old 01-15-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

For those of you who may need to get the injector pump off of and back onto a 4.108:

A ball-end hex wrench will likely save your sanity. The inner bolt is the one that is the RPITA, and unlike the outer two hex head it's a socket head screw. Double check which size to get -- the bolt itself is 5/16" UNF. My screw takes a 7/32" hex key, but most 5/16" socket headed screws take a 1/4" hex key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-17-2013

I'll have to look into finding the right size one to get PorFin. I'm also following your posts about rebuilding the 4.108. I wouldn't mind pulling mine in the future to strip and paint at a minimum but I'm not sure I need to go through with an overhaul on it quite yet.
Old 04-22-2013

So all was good with the seals until recently. I checked the diesel oil before starting and it was a little low as usual so I topped it off. Ran the engine maybe thirty minutes to get out and then another thirty home. When I got back I had the strong smell of diesel in the cabin. I checked my oil and it had a very low viscosity. A couple days later I drained the oil and pulled about two gallons out when I only put one gallon of oil in at a change. My fuel injector pump was definitely leaking.

I took my time and got the pump out this weekend. The seal around the shaft is leaking bad when it is spun. I'm not going to attempt this repair as the whole pump needs to be disassembled so I'm sending it to a local injector pump repair shop. I now agree that I should have done it all at the same time but by waiting I'm actually paying less as the quote went down $200 for the service, testing and warranty so I'm ok pulling it all apart for the third time.

So the question is, while I have half my Perkins apart, can anyone think of anything that might also go out at the same time so I don't have to pull it all apart again in the near future?
Old 04-22-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
So all was good with the seals until recently. I checked the diesel oil before starting and it was a little low as usual so I topped it off. Ran the engine maybe thirty minutes to get out and then another thirty home. When I got back I had the strong smell of diesel in the cabin. I checked my oil and it had a very low viscosity. A couple days later I drained the oil and pulled about two gallons out when I only put one gallon of oil in at a change. My fuel injector pump was definitely leaking.

I took my time and got the pump out this weekend. The seal around the shaft is leaking bad when it is spun. I'm not going to attempt this repair as the whole pump needs to be disassembled so I'm sending it to a local injector pump repair shop. I now agree that I should have done it all at the same time but by waiting I'm actually paying less as the quote went down $200 for the service, testing and warranty so I'm ok pulling it all apart for the third time.

So the question is, while I have half my Perkins apart, can anyone think of anything that might also go out at the same time so I don't have to pull it all apart again in the near future?
Have all of the high pressure lines pressure tested. At the least, you'll need new Olives on the lines if not new lines entirely. Also check the fuel return line carefully. If your injectors have not been rebuilt and pressure tested, now is the time to insure they're working well/properly. Lastly, if your lift pump has not been replaced previously, now is the time. Save the old one as a spare just in case but they tend to fail at about the same interval as the injection pumps. BTDT unfortunately.

FWIW...