Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012

FionaBowman is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2010 Indicator lights and alarm problem

Hi all

I have a Volvo MD2010 with a control panel with 4 lights (temp, oil, alternator and glowplug).

Normally when starting I turn the key to position I and the 3 warning lights (temp, oil and alternatir) light up. Then I turn the key against the spring to II and the Glow plug light comes on as well for 10 secs or so followed by an audible alarm at which point I turn the key to III to start.

Now however at position I the Temp light does not come on - only the oil and alternator.

Then when I turn the key to II the oil and alternator lights go out but the glow plug light does not come on (so no lights at all). There is an audible 'click' from the engine at this point (relay?).

The audible alarm does not sound (alarm test button does not sound either) but if I continue to III the engine turns over as normal.

I have swapped the warning light bulbs over to test and all bulbs are functioning.

Any suggestions are welcome as I have no idea what the problem is!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo MD2010 Indicator lights and alarm problem

Fiona,

First off, welcome to Sailnet! Apologies for missing your original post - that happens sometimes..

You are correct that these engines need glow to get going on cold days. From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like a faulty control panel to me.

What condition is the panel in? Reasonably good or old/corroded??
Old 04-23-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I remeber seeing a bumper sticker which said "Any parts found falling off my Volvo are of the finest Swedish craftsmanship."
Old 04-27-2013

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The panel looks in good condition - (pics attached hopefully!). I have had the back off and checked all bulbs/connections as far as possible without going into the sealed units and they seem OK. In the pic I have opened the block connector going to the warning lights panel so you can see the pins are all shiny and look OK. As I said in the other post I have also checked the glow plug relay.

I may also be being stupid but shouldn't there be a live wire going to the glow plugs (or one of them as they are joined with flat metal connector) themselves? (other pic attached).

To give some history I bought the boat late last year and the engine was starting and running fine. However as soon as I took ownership it refused to start (of course!) and has not started since. It has been on the hard all winter.

Thanks again for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo MD2010 Indicator lights and alarm problem-panel.jpg   Volvo MD2010 Indicator lights and alarm problem-plugs.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

If your panel connections are fine (they look cleaner than mine!) the issue must be elsewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaBowman View Post
I may also be being stupid but shouldn't there be a live wire going to the glow plugs (or one of them as they are joined with flat metal connector) themselves? (other pic attached).
Ahh.. yes. A red one - 2.5mm2 (around 14 AWG) so not thin, but not overly thick either - coming from one side of the glow relay (ie. out of the bottom of the relay box on the side of the engine) and connected to the flat-bar using a ring-connector.

Have a look around and see if you can find it.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-29-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2013

Hi

I couldn't find a red wire but found a blue one that looked like a good candidate (see pic). It was tucked back into the loom wrapping, terminates in a ring connector and is just long enough to reach the nearest plug.

I connected to the plug and tried again but no change - still no glow plug light and they do not heat. I checked the wire with a multimeter to see if any current passed through when the key was held against the spring but nothing. I checked the terminals in the relay box and they all look fine. Still the click from the relay when the key is turned but nothing else.

As I am getting pretty desperate I wanted to ask if it would be feasible to run a bypass live wire directly from the battery to the glow plugs via a manual switch and maybe an inline fuse?

Any other ideas welcome and thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo MD2010 Indicator lights and alarm problem-wire.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013
Once known as Hartley18

The only blue wire I know of in the loom comes from the alternator, so that won't help..

something doesn't make sense here..

Have a look (with a mirror or iPhone depending upon available resources) at the base of the relay block mounted on the side of the engine: There should be two relays - one start, one glow. The base of the glow relay should have Green, Orange & Black wires - and two red wires coming off it. Follow the red ones. One will go to the starter motor and the other should go to the glow rail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaBowman View Post
As I am getting pretty desperate I wanted to ask if it would be feasible to run a bypass live wire directly from the battery to the glow plugs via a manual switch and maybe an inline fuse?
Might be time for a marine electrician then.. ...but to answer your question, yes, you can put an in-line switch between the Red power wire on the side of the starter and a wire to the glow rail. That's all the glow relay does. Just make sure you turn off the glow the instant the engine fires.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2013

Great, thanks again for all your help. I am back onboard now, no sign at all of the red wire so I will try the bypass and see where that gets me.

It was also just odd though that all the other lights go out at position II on the spring as in the operating handbook (and my memory of when it was working) the glow plug light comes on but the 3 warning lights also stay on until you start at position III.