SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Replacing the Auxiliary (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/94243-replacing-auxiliary.html)

JulieMor 11-19-2012 02:28 PM

Replacing the Auxiliary

In the boat I'm looking at, the existing engine is a 23HP Volvo that's now over 30 years old and it looks like it needs replacing. These are said to be noisy and vibrate a lot. So having a new engine would be a plus. Comparable boats with newer engines run $15K+ more than this one.

With the engine replacement you would also replace hoses, exhaust, gauges and maybe even controls. I can do the electrical, gauge installations, any woodworking (if necessary) and maybe a few other things.

If I had a yard install the engine and hoses and I took care of the rest, any idea what would the price range be for that work?

DRFerron 11-19-2012 02:43 PM

Re: Replacing the Auxiliary

Perhaps get an estimate from a couple of yards for all the work and just back out what you can do yourself?

I would also see if that impacts the warranty at all, too, if a "certified" dealer doesn't do the complete install. Not sure it would but you might want to double check.

Faster 11-19-2012 02:53 PM

I doubt you'd get much 'change' from $20K for a full-on 'professional' repowering for an engine of that size.

Similar boats with newer engines and a $15K higher ask can probably be landed for perhaps 10K(or less) more.. what's a zero-hour engine worth to you? A friend went through this recently and while the repower is ultimately satisfactory the yard made a mess of his boat and required some return visits for final satisfaction.

Tough call.. I think I'd find the best package I could that didn't need an immediate $15-20K infusion.. in this market it shouldn't be that difficult. Also the prospect of that immediate outlay puts a slightly different spin on any delivery/trucking costs that might be associated with a 'better boat' farther away.

JulieMor 11-19-2012 03:56 PM

I'm still waiting for the broker to get back to me on the state of the engine. If it has a couple of seasons left, it's not that important to me right now. If it doesn't run, that's another issue. Although I have on more than one occasion needed to sail into a slip because the engine wouldn't start, I just wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

For now, I'm just trying to put the numbers together so I know if it's time to walk away or not.

caberg 11-19-2012 04:37 PM

I think there's too many factors at issue to ballpark a price. Especially if you're going to change to a different brand of engine, it won't be a matter of just swapping out and there could be many hours of labor involved.

If the engine is at the end of its life, what else is too? That said, I bought a 30 year old boat, with the original Yanmar in it, but it is in very good shape and runs great.

JimsCAL 11-19-2012 05:55 PM

I would guess you are looking at $6-8,000 for the engine and a similar amount for the labor. It is possible to do a lot of the work yourself. I've changed a smaller engine (11 hp 2-cylinder) with the help of one other guy, but it was the same model so no system or mount changes. If you can get help to pull the old engine, clean up the engine area and then drop the new one in place, you can save a bundle on the labor. The diesel mechanic could check over your work, do the alignment, test run the new engine, etc, for not much $$.

CalebD 11-19-2012 07:34 PM

Volvo engines are also notorious for having very expensive replacement parts, if you can find 'em. I'd ditch the Volvo for that reason alone. Add in that it is a filling loosener and it is a no brainer.
A fellow at our club recently bought a Beta engine to replace his old diesel. He is very happy with it. New parts can be had at reasonable prices from Kubota farm equipment dealers.
Could not hurt to call Beta to discuss what model might be a good fit for your boat and the price. Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine

Stu Jackson 11-19-2012 08:15 PM

Caleb's suggestion is a very good one. Don't forget the transmission change and possibly a prop change to match the new arrangement.

The hoses are the easiest part (aside from the exhaust riser). Wiring is easy, too, for a DIY.

Faster 11-19-2012 08:17 PM

Another mystery factor in changing brands is the mounting angle, and the output shaft angle.. cutting/modifying engine beds and propshaft lengths are other frequent complications.

JulieMor 11-19-2012 09:30 PM

I found this for Yanmar marine engines (I couldn't find prices on Beta):

Engine model ~ Max power rating ~ Transmission ~ Gear ratio ~ List price
3YM20 ~ 22HP @3600RPM ~ KM2P-1A ~ 2.21 / 2.62 ~ $8,030.00
3YM20 ~ 22HP @3600RPM ~ KM2P-1A ~ 3.22 ~ $8,130.00
3YM20C ~ 22HP @3600RPM ~ SD20 ~ 2.64 ~ $10,600.00
3YM20M ~ 22HP @3600RPM ~ Bob-tail ~ N/A ~ $7,440.00
KM2P-1A transmission is a Yanmar mechanical cone clutch, vertical offset parallel drive.

Standard sales package:
To include marine transmission with reduction (except Bob-tail), flexible mounts, heat exchanger with coolant recovery reservoir, 2” water-cooled exhaust elbow (U-type), 12V starter with relay and 12V-60A alternator, digital B-type instrument panel with sensors, harness extension 6M, electric fuel stop solenoid, propeller shaft half coupling (except sail-drive and Bob-tail models), owner’s manual and tool kit.

Optional accessories (Prices applied only with factory engine orders)
D28890-49620 … Hot water tank adaptor fitting, 5/8” hose … $80.00
D28271-91570 … Wire harness extension 3M … $40.00
D28271-91590 … Wire harness extension 6M … $60.00

Not sure what the Bob-tail is. The sail drive would be out so it looks like the only choice would be what gear ratio would be needed. Anyway, it's $8K on the engine.

I could certainly disconnect things and open up the engine space enough to safely remove the engine. With a hoist and some help I could get the old engine out and the new one in. Outside of that, it would be either getting a qualified marine diesel mechanic in or reading an instruction book (no thanks). The engine would have to mounted at an angle because the shaft exits a bit off center.

So maybe I'd be looking at $10-12K installed?

I did hear from the broker. He said he'd have all the info for me tomorrow.