Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: Performing compression test on Penta

If you're planning on heading out across the big blue sea, start saving your money for a motor replacement. Somewhere along your travels, you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-24-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
If you're planning on heading out across the big blue sea, start saving your money for a motor replacement. Somewhere along your travels, you'll be glad you did.
Hence the 3-4 years we want to squeeze out of the Penta. That's how long (at a minimum) we expect to spend in and around Mexico. Northern MX is a perfectly good place to repower -- inexpensive yard fees, close enuf to the US we could even drive a new engine down there, and full of skilled mechanics and machine shops. Affordable help, too. I just paid a Midwest marina over $2000 to haul the boat out of the water, squirt some antifreeze thru the pipes, unstep the mast, and plop the boat on a trailer. Maybe six hours total labor. Rather too proud of their work, are US boatyards.

We either have to repower here, while the boat is in the back yard, or after we've got it to Mexico. We don't generally motor if we can possibly avoid it anyhow, and we won't carry refrigeration or a watermaker that requires engine charging. And I refuse to call a marine auxiliary engine a safety feature, because that sort of thinking gets people killed. It's helpful, verging on necessary, for getting into and out of some harbors. That's about how we view the engine.

It's telling that this MD6A, at a mere 10hp, was not considered particularly undersized for a 7500# sailboat in 1975. Albin did upgrade to a 13hp motor later. People sailed more.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 11-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I've got an MD7A on our 28 & it does run. If having mechanized propulsion isn't a big priority, you could always toss an outboard on her stern & save $$. It's crossed my mind.
Old 11-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

bob, salt water eats blocks. Fresh water is no big deal.

Why not just fire it up, see how the engine runs, see if it moves the boat at hull speed at a reasonable rpm without smoking, and if everything looks good, let it be?

Then after you've put some hours on it, spend $25 on the oil analysis to find out if the engine is chewing itself up, etc. If a diagnosis was important to me, I'm not sure I'd want to have trainees doing it. By definition, they lack the experience to really know what they might be looking at.

With four years on the timeline, check out a class at Mack Boring on diy diesel maintenance, you may find that invaluable for the big trip, and it will teach you what to look for on your own engine in the meantime.
Old 11-24-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Misfits: We'll probably have an outboard (or a Torqueedo) for the dink; I plan to arrange the swim ladder to mount the outboard, in an emergency. It's a reverse-transom IOR boat w/ typically high counter, so conventional O/B brackets don't work so good.

HS: thanks for the info. Boat is not in the water & is unlikely to be until launching in CA. We may pull the engine in April & run it on a pallet. Right now it is winterized & it probably needs to stay that way. What I can see of the coolant passages suggests some surface rust, but not too bad. Might run a warm vinegar mix thru the block in Spring for about three straight days. Our local kids are pretty sharp little wrenchers, some of them -- and they'd have a instructor looking over their shoulders if we submitted the engine for rebuild. It's a bone-simple engine -- might have a go at it myself. Who performs oil analysis? Do you have to mail it off, or can a local garage do it?

The guy who delivered the boat said it smoked pretty bad; the haulout yard thinks the injectors just need cleaning; I think the boat might be overpropped a touch. It has an aftermarket 14x9 Gori folder. IIRC, the original prop for this engine was a 12" folder. Hard to not overprop a 10hp engine!
Old 11-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Blackstone Labs

Probably the biggest independent source for oil analysis, but a lot of distributors and shops also sell the kits. You mail them off.

If you're going to pull it out of the boat...Might as well clena up the engine bay, think about installing fuel polishing lines, expect to pull the engine apart and do work, as well as sending out the injectors. And replacing the mounts.There's a lot that can be done, and should be considered if the engine is being pulled, but I'd hate to say "pull an engine" before you knew whether it really needed to be pulled at all. Lots of time and money that might not be needed.
Old 11-24-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I am also a firm believer in doing vinegar flushes of my raw water cooled Atomic 4 engine.

Hopefully your Penta is in good internal shape. A big problem with Volvo engines seems to be parts availability and prices for same.

If you are not married to the idea of having a diesel engine (probably best for the type of cruising you are contemplating) you could consider re-powering with a working Atomic 4. Older but working A4's seem to sell for around $1K. It is also a gasoline engine which many consider anathema.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

porfin, as is often the case, has the right idea- build a dummy injector., or, go with your gut- id it runs, doesn't smoke, isn't hard to start, screw it, replace the head gasket, torque down the head, keep on top of oil changes, and run her until she dies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.