Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jrd22
  • 1 Post By arf145

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
What to look or on a Beta 20?

On the upcoming second visit to a prospective purchase, what should I look for in/on the above diesel? It's a recent transplant and appears to be well done; but I've never seen the "Kubota Marine" application.

TIA,
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What to look or on a Beta 20?

A recently repower is almost always a good thing.. these engines have a good reputation. Universals are also Kubota blocks and there are probably tens of thousands of those installations out there.

As a repower, esp if it replaced something like an old Volvo ( which would be more good news ) look for properly modified engine beds and mounts, clearances and access to vitals like oil and fuel filters, fluid dipsticks, water intake/strainer, and for proper fuel lines etc..

But having a recent engine in an older boat is a great start. What boat is it?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-27-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

It's in that Watkins 27 I am/was looking at. The mechanicals are about the only thing I am not sure of. The dealer *sez* the motor's good and a recent replacement; but.........

I can deal with the trampoline-like foredeck... somehow. I can fill and paint/gel the few cracks here and there in the gel. I can make a new tiller. I can clean out/up the interior and do needful repairs; but, I don;t know squat from diesels!

He's asking $3995 (publicly listed at $4500) and seems willing to come down. Reverse engineering the price, starting with an avg figger of near $2000 for a "fresh but used" diesel then add the cost of a mast/sails/rigging used, and the interior bits'n'bobs; yer there! If I found a yard derelict of the same make and had ta refit w/all used equipment,I'd have more innit!

I'm going to go back down mid-Dec (once funds arrive) and poke around at all the other cheapies he's got, then drop my counter offer. If he is willing to dicker, I *might* end up at the $3000 mark...due to the bad deck, etc.
Thataways, I have more $$ left in the fund for those repairs and enuff left for a year's slip/storage. He called me last Monday to ask if I was gonna buy soon, as he wanted to pull it for the Winter. Said that suited me, so I could inspect the hull and fitments. IF I can squeeze winter storage and splash come Spring AND the boat for < $3500, I figger I'm good

That Watkins is really put together ('cept for the bouncy cored decks!) and will make a tremendous base to start with. I have yet to find a unit that is as well proportioned and assembled; given the size parameters.

Strikingly curious... Just discovered/realized that the other boat I'm looking at is ALSO a Scott design! A totally different approach to getting on the water; but the Beachcomber 25 is a contender. A bit far off at 175 miles; but it *IS* trailerable

Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 11-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Generally if it fires up well when cold and runs smooth at all rpms and looks clean it's probably good. If, like they told you, it is almost a new engine it's worth more than they are asking for the boat. If it's "new" to the boat but the engine was used when installed you better get a mechanic to check it out for you, rarely do people take good engines out of boats.
olson34 likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-29-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road

Beta's are great engines.

Over the decades, I have heard many adjectives for the construction of Watkins boats, but "well put together" was not on the list.....
I would worry more about that deck than the engine.

Has the whole deck been tapped and also tested and mapped out with a moisture meter?

L
Old 11-29-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Those bouncy cored decks are actually soggy, delaminated cored decks, as you probably know. I wouldn't be surprised if frozen wet core is what caused some of those cracks, too. For me they would be way up there as a worry. The fix is to cut out the top layer, remove the wet core, put in new, and epoxy back together. A big deal for sure.
chef2sail likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I agree with arf....

spongy decks are not good and a big expense. Many boats hav e core above the waterline, but MOost have the equip[ment bedded correctly and been taken care of they present no problem. We have an end grain balsa cored deck...no issues after 30 years.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-29-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

As for an engine assessment. You can always do an oil analysis, where you send off a sample to a lab and they do a spectrographic analysis which can identify problem/failure areas. Normally you do a trend of samples but a one-time sample might give you some info re. your concern
Cal-29
Old 12-29-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

Top flight Japanese motor.
It's a Kubota, and spare parts are everywhere, in cement mixers, and forklifts, etc.
Revs a bit higher than the older stuff though, but you can't have everything.

Avoid Volvo like the plague. The major spare parts are an absolute and utter rip-off.
How does $2000 for an exhaust manifold grab you for a 20 year-old 35 hp engine (in 1998)?
It certainly grabbed Volvo.
Not for me though. And never again will I touch another one.

Last edited by Rockter; 12-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.