Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Charging batteries with engine while sailing

I am not sure if this forum is the best place but here it goes. I recently crewed on a delivery to St. Maarten. Right off the gate the boat generator that is used to charge the batteries malfunctioned so we had to use the enine to charge. With no lack of wind we were sailing at hull speed on a screaming run. The owner would charge the batteries with the engine in neutral with rpm's slightly above idle.
I mentioned that running a diesel engine "unloaded" was not good for the long term health of the engine but he replied that he was worried about running the engine in gear and the effect that the water going past the prop at hull speed basically driving the engine.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Charging batteries with engine while sailing

Yes, why doesn't he have solar panels?
Old 12-01-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Charging batteries with engine while sailing

Well that's totally off the subject but its a classic Hinckley 48 yawl that he doesn't want to ruin its classic lines.
Old 12-01-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I do it myself when necessary, if the batteries are low charging them like this is no biggie as driving the alternator to bring the bats to @ 80% loads the motor by about 3 or 4 HP.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-01-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Well that's totally off the subject but its a classic Hinckley 48 yawl that he doesn't want to ruin its classic lines.
That's called big picture thinking - solving a problem by avoiding the existence of the problem in the first place.

It is foolish to go offshore in a boat without redundant systems. Relying entirely on the engine to charge the batteries is foolish.

I would be careful about crewing for someone whose greatest concern is the appearance of the boat.
Old 12-01-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

Seems logical to me but you are right about engine health...
it would seem silly to run the motor more than say 10 minutes- I find mine charge in far less time but 80 percent of the people you talk to will tell you to keep the engine running for half an hour which is ridiculous
& a waste of fuel
Another story of anxiety ruling the day, as if u are on a broad reach w fair winds:
compass, candles & healthy men(physically)
everything you needed to get through the day
& night
happy sailing
-JD
Old 12-01-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Running the engine in neutral while charging the batteries isn't going to hurt the engine. Actually, it seems to me that there is a lot of paranoia amongst sailboat owners about harming the engine if they don't run it hard enough, which may have some validity over several hundred or thousands of hours, but a couple of hours to charge the batteries is no big deal. As long as the engine gets run on a regular basis at cruise rpm and normal operating temperature, and assuming the engine is in good mechanical condition, it won't bother it at all to charge the banks. Note: it might take several hours to fully charge the bank depending on size of alt. and number of batteries and % discharged.

@James- I would be careful of anyone that would destroy the lines of a classic H48 by putting a solar arch on it:-)) Oh, and they had redundant systems, the generator quit on them.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-02-2012

73Morgan is on a distinguished road
Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post
Seems logical to me but you are right about engine health...
it would seem silly to run the motor more than say 10 minutes- I find mine charge in far less time but 80 percent of the people you talk to will tell you to keep the engine running for half an hour which is ridiculous
& a waste of fuel
Another story of anxiety ruling the day, as if u are on a broad reach w fair winds:
compass, candles & healthy men(physically)
everything you needed to get through the day
& night
happy sailing
-JD
10 minutes will give the batteries a decent charge. However, there are 2 things you should consider, battery health and engine health. Batteries last longer when maintained at full charge. Cylinder walls glaze over on short run times, which results in loss of compression. The engine needs to reach full operating temperatures for a decent amount of time for best health.

I would definitely agree that using the boat engine to charge your batteries is not a good idea.
Old 12-02-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I have asked a number of Yanmar mechanics and they all say its drivel. But to be on the safe side of polishing the cylinders run a couple of revs above idle. So in neutral it would normally be 800 rpm I run at 1,200. Rpm and every few hours race the engine like it says in the operators handbook.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Morgan View Post
10 minutes will give the batteries a decent charge. However, there are 2 things you should consider, battery health and engine health. Batteries last longer when maintained at full charge. Cylinder walls glaze over on short run times, which results in loss of compression. The engine needs to reach full operating temperatures for a decent amount of time for best health.

I would definitely agree that using the boat engine to charge your batteries is not a good idea.
I'm not following your math where you state that 10 minutes will give the batteries a decent charge. Assuming one is getting 100 amps (amp hours) to the batteries via a decent alternator, it seems that less than 17 amps are actually getting to the battery bank in ten minutes. Not knowing what size this hypothetical battery bank is, it's hard for me to believe that putting so little power in achieves much of anything.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by FarCry; 12-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.