Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012

73Morgan is on a distinguished road
Repowering Suggestions

I am looking at repowering my 1973 Morgan 35. Currently there is a
Yanmar 2GM20F (16HP) in it. It's a heavy boat and it's a bit underpowered. The motor barely starts with full throttle after a quite a bit of cranking. When it's running it has a serious fuel knock. Compression is at 350. The motor was rebuilt just before I bought the boat in 1999. Not having had much luck with rebuilds, now I am thinking instead of rebuilding it's time for a new motor. I have done quite a bit of renching over the years, so I plan on swapping the motor out myself. Not being familiar with marine diesel engines I would appreciate some recommendations as to what Brand and what HP I should be looking at.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Repowering Suggestions

When is the last time the injectors were cleaned or replaced? If opening the throttle helps, it makes me think you are needing more air in the mixture to accommodate poorly atomized fuel. Just a WAG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Firstly, welcome to sailnut.

This spec for the M35 show it weight about 12,000#: MORGAN 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The spec goes on to note that this boat was originally powered with an Atomic 4 (up to 30HP).
If you must go with a new engine I'd look at a Beta Marine engine in the mid to high 20 HP range. betamarine - Engine View

A little story to go with this valuable free advice.
I have a friend who's boat has a Universal M25 diesel in it. They wanted to replace the glow plugs in the engine. The glow plugs were priced at $80 a piece at the Torreson website. With much research and cross referencing I found the same glow plugs at a Kubota tractor website for $8 a piece. It turns out that Universal engines are made from Kubota engine blocks, as are the Beta's and some others.
T37Chef likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Fuel knock is an injector issue... much less expensively addressed than a repower. However 16 HP is a bit light for a boat of that size so a new, larger engine may well be the ticket.

Do some very careful measuring to make sure that a larger package will actually fit, actually able to be shoehorned into place, and that access to critical things like oil filters, fuel filters, RWC pumps etc is maintained. In some cases it makes sense to remove as much bulk (alternator, manifolds, etc...) for the in/out operation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-02-2012

Years ago I had the injectors rebilt whe the trouble started. Unfortunately we are short on skilled mechanics who really know what they are doing. I don't know if local boatyards can be trusted, they seem to like to just change parts. I was told I need to have the head rebuilt. They took it out and I took it to an engine rebuilder I trust, after that there was no change. Then they told me I need injectors, so I told them to change them agaain, no change. Now I had a diesel mechanic who is independent but is affiliated with the marina tell me my compression is at 350 when it should be over 400 something. He said it could be as simple as the rings are stuck. Either way I am looking at 3 to 4K by the time the job is done. At this point I am tapped out. I need help to recover, enough money spent.
Thanks for your help and opinions.
Old 12-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

It is, at best a 40 year old diesel engine (assuming original with boat). I can understand worrying about throwing good money after ... bad.
The problem is that to re-power your boat will cost plenty, no matter how you skin it.
- A brand spanking new Beta Marine engine will cost at least $7K plus the cost to install.
- A working used engine could be found for something like $2-4K but you'd still have the install cost and the worry that you had just inherited someone else's problem engine.
- I shouldn't even go here but a working Atomic 4 engine might be had for < $2K but you'd still have install cost and conversion costs going to gasoline as a fuel.

The bottom line is that if you are not doing most of the work yourself you will still be relying on the "professionals" in your area, and at their mercy. I'm not sure where you are but one can usually find a mechanic of integrity somewhere. You might have to take your boat to them though. Keep asking around.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Totally understand the desire for a newer motor with more ponies.

For what its worth, cleaning and rebuilding injectors won't work forever. In fact, if they reamed them out, they may have widened the nozzle and ruined the spray pattern.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-03-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I don't mean to say take advantage of other peoples losses - but -

Sandy has surely crushed some hulls and left diesels in good condition. Hit the web, craigslist, ebay whatever tickles your keyboard. In particular try searching for Morgan groups - you might find a M owner with a engine for sale.
Old 12-11-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Morgan View Post
I am looking at repowering my 1973 Morgan 35. Currently there is a
Yanmar 2GM20F (16HP) in it. It's a heavy boat and it's a bit underpowered. The motor barely starts with full throttle after a quite a bit of cranking. When it's running it has a serious fuel knock. Compression is at 350. The motor was rebuilt just before I bought the boat in 1999. Not having had much luck with rebuilds, now I am thinking instead of rebuilding it's time for a new motor. I have done quite a bit of renching over the years, so I plan on swapping the motor out myself. Not being familiar with marine diesel engines I would appreciate some recommendations as to what Brand and what HP I should be looking at.
Maybe a couple of brand new, out of the original box, injectors, would be worth the gamble? Is the 350 compression up to or near specs?

Paul T
Old 12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Maybe a couple of brand new, out of the original box, injectors, would be worth the gamble? Is the 350 compression up to or near specs?

Paul T
The head and injectors were rebuilt last year. I don't know the exact number but it should be somewhere over 400.

After doing some careful measuring my existing engine supports would have to be modified. Repowering is way too involved.
So, I am considering too take the engine out and taking the complete engine to a machine shop.