SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Could 27 hp fit here? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/94826-could-27-hp-fit-here.html)

L124C 12-09-2012 05:59 PM

Could 27 hp fit here?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at a Alberg 35 (full keel, 6.5 Tons). Re powered from a 30hp A4 to a Beta Marine 20hp. The seller claims he bought a Beta 27, but "it wouldn't fit in the hull, so we went with the 20". Lots of space here (Love the access!). The motor sits under a dog house beneath the companion way. Hard to believe they didn't have room for a bigger dog!
Thoughts?
Anyone have an idea of the difference in price between the 20 and 27?

Faster 12-09-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Could 27 hp fit here?

My guess is that it was the fore & aft dimensions that were the challenge.. ie between the coupling and the end of the cabinetry....

eherlihy 12-09-2012 08:41 PM

The engine pictured is on what appear to be aluminum motor mounting plates. These could easily have been drilled more aft or forward. I think that it was likely that the PO did not want to remove and replace the prop shaft, or have the current one shortened to fit a larger engine.

My guess is that the larger engine wouldn't fit his budget...;)

eherlihy 12-09-2012 09:13 PM

...also Beta marine makes a 28HP A4 replacement...

SlowButSteady 12-09-2012 09:24 PM

20 hp is probably plenty of power for that boat anyway. Just because it originally had a 30 hp anemic-4 doesn't really mean anything. An A4 was one of the few small inboards available at that time. Having good access to everything on the engine is waaayyy under-rated. If I had my druthers, I would love to have a smaller engine in my boat and forego the extra (and basically unnecessary) few hp I would be losing.

CalebD 12-09-2012 10:57 PM

Yes, it is either a 20 or 28 HP Beta engine (not 27) and I'm guessing that the price differential is over $1K between the two models. Say $7K for the 20HP and $8.2K for the 28HP (probably add $1K to each price guestimate).

I'd guess that it could be a cabinetry problem as ehirlihy suggested although Beta makes a "drop in" replacement for the A4 in both 20 & 28 HP so the bigger engine should have worked fine.

SBS,
How dare you make fun of my Atomic 3 or 4 engine!!!
"The Atomic 4, a drop in replacement engine for most Beta Marine engines."
Rebuilt Atomic 4's are available from Moyer Marine for around $6K.
Working used models can be had for ~ $1K.

L124C 12-10-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 959278)
...also Beta marine makes a 28HP A4 replacement...

Did some searching and Beta also makes a 20 hp replacement for the A4. Did Atomic make a 20 hp motor? In any case, it seems that "replacement" means that it fits on the A4 mounts. So, height/length could still be an issue.

A Beta dealership site states:
Several Beta Marine diesel engines are available to replace the Atomic 4 gasoline engine depending upon the vessel's displacement. General guidelines for displacement hulls follow, but please contact Joe DeMers for a specific recommendation concerning your boat and application.
Boats between 10,000 and 14,000 pounds need the Beta 20 or Beta 25 engine.
Boats between 14,000 and 18,000 pounds require the 28 hp Beta Marine engine.

The Alberg does have a narrow beam (9'-8") by modern standards, but also has less LWL (24') and a full keel. At 12,600 pounds, that would seem to put it at the top of the first category (Beta 25), or bottom of the second.
Another thread I was looking at, pointed out that charging takes additional hp, something I didn't even consider.

L124C 12-10-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowButSteady (Post 959283)
20 hp is probably plenty of power for that boat anyway. Just because it originally had a 30 hp anemic-4 doesn't really mean anything. An A4 was one of the few small inboards available at that time. Having good access to everything on the engine is waaayyy under-rated. If I had my druthers, I would love to have a smaller engine in my boat and forego the extra (and basically unnecessary) few hp I would be losing.

This advice from someone called "Slow but Steady". I'll consider the source:p
As I indicated, I also value access (and think the Alberg would still have it with a 28hp motor). I keep hearing the gas verses diesel hp debate. But was told hp is hp, no mater how you get it, torque distribution not withstanding. I've heard of reliability issues, but what made the A4 anemic?

SlowButSteady 12-10-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 959320)
Rebuilt Atomic 4's are available from Moyer Marine for around $6K.
Working used models can be had for ~ $1K.

And you'll still have a stinking A4 to deal with, and somewhere between 3 and 30 hp of actual output (depending on the mood of the A4 that day), and gasoline fumes to worry about, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

A pox on gas inboards!

SlowButSteady 12-10-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L124C (Post 959372)
This advice from someone called "Slow but Steady". I'll consider the source:
As I indicated, I also value access (and think the Alberg would still have it with a 28hp motor).

Just because it has the room doesn't mean it needs the extra power. A smaller engine will weigh less, use less fuel, and usually be cheaper and easier to maintain(particularly when comparing engines within one brand). Besides, they're called SAILboats for a reason.