Cummins 4B 3.3 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 12-13-2012 Thread Starter
Courtney the Dancer

Re: Cummins 4B 3.3

Fast- I thought about that after posting. I might be able to fab up a riser between the mount and the ear on the engine. I would want to talk to someone (more knowledgeable than me) about it but it seems like a good possibility.

Klem- I'll call Cummins NW here in Seattle, I'm not sure why they wouldn't sell you one. I would love it if Cummins did the conversion, but it sounds like Trans A has been doing these for many years with essentially no problems (the lady I've talked to is pretty sharp and been there for a long time). It looks like the Beta is an electronic engine too (not confirmed yet) so that levels the playing field for now.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
....but it sounds like Trans A has been doing these for many years with essentially no problems (the lady I've talked to is pretty sharp and been there for a long time)...
I know the thread is ancient..

I spoke to the TA lady also. She knew her diesels.

Somewhere in the thread I saw BT4 comments. Yes, Cummins will sell new to replace existing install. mckaymarinediesel.com had one. They will ask for your serial number of your existing BT4.

My bt4 had only empty rivets where the data plate should be.

BTW.. if you know any good diesel installers (any brand) in the Baltimore-Annapolis corridor please reply or PM. There are many, but it's hard to tell who is good, and who isn't.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-03-2013

Hello JRD22,
The Beta 60 is not an electronically governed engine. The only electronic part of this engine is the stop solenoid.
Stanley

Stanley,
Marine Diesel Engine Vendor
The Following User Says Thank You to NCboatrx For This Useful Post:
jrd22 (06-03-2013)
post #14 of 17 Old 05-18-2014

I recently, 170 hours ago, installed a Cummins 4B 3.3M in my sailboat. I was on a trip recently, at a fuel dock and the engine would not restart. After several conversation with both TAD and my mechanic, it was determined the wires going to the starter and the solenoid were too short and under tension and the connector broke off. The wire crimp was still in place and the circular ring lug was under the nut on the connection. Both my home mechanic and the one who worked on it said it was poor workmanship. I called TAD and they helped me diagnosis the problem, but they have no way, no network or mechanics they work with in different area who can perform warranty work. I paid for this myself and was underway, but I will not recommend TAD or this engine again.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

so cause wires were too short for the starter you are writing off an engine?

hilarious

Islander 36 now FOR SALE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 2 Days Ago

Angry Re: Cummins 4B 3.3

I bought a Cummins 4B 3.3 "marine" engine. When I was getting ready to put it my boat I questioned the setup of the raw water exaust system. I told the company I bought it from, that it was for a below water sailboat. They sent directions on how to install it. I questioned these instructions but did follow them. I sailed down to the Caribbean but had problems getting water into the oil. On the way back the engine failed. Sailed to Florida & I had another Cummins Marine dealer look at the engine. The dealer could not find a marine engine like this. Finally the dealer found it was a tractor engine. The original dealer after many calls & many thousands said they would rebuild the engine.
When I got the engine back I had the Florida Cummins design a "bullet proof" raw water system & with his help the engine went back in. Took it out for a sea test; Everything seemed fine. With a year & less than 200 hours the engine is down again & can not get any help from the dealer I bought it from. He even changed his internet ad to :Marinized marine" engine.
I had a Westerbeak in the boat for over 25 years with no problems. I have been working for over 30 years on boats & engines.
post #17 of 17 Old 9 Hours Ago

Chebob ,Is the engine down because the new bullet proof RW system failed or because the original goof didn't do the rebuild right.?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.