Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012

alechich is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling

Thanks all again! I changed the primary and engine fuel filters (and cleaned very dirty air cleaner); the primary lower housing was a mess so even though the marina service records from the prior owner showed annual maint. they obviously didn't do a great job at least lately. I'm having trouble bleeding the system at the engine fuel filter as described on line (have ordered a seloc manual), no matter how hard and long I pump the manual lever at the fuel pump. Not sure which nut on top of the filter is the bleeder but I did both anyway (not together of course) and could get no fuel to flow. What does this mean, does anyone know? I haven't tried to crack the nuts at the injectors while operating the starter yet to bleed from there, since apparently I should be able to bleed first from the filter. I don't know how specific the seloc manual will be on that, and though I feel like I'm beginning to learn this engine a little I'm blocked here and would appreciate any further help. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling

You may have developed an air leak in the fuel line somewhere. The crappy plastic tank elbow developed a hairline crack in my boat that drove me nuts until I found it. Vents get clogged by insects, usually spiders making webs in there. It's a good idea to plug them with a rag or tape over in the off season. It takes a LOT of pumping with that little lever, just keep pumping. On my 3GM there is also a second bleeder on the injector pump which is not obvious. The 2GM is probably the same.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

alechich;
Install a squeeze bulb in the fuel line between your fuel tank and your first fuel filter. It will solve your priming problems unless you have a leak and should let you find the leak if you have one.

Just pump the bulb until it is hard then crack the fitting letting the fuel/air out until you get no air then close the fitting before releasing the bulb. Repeat as needed until all vent points are vented. Also check to see if you are getting fuel someplace it isn't supposed to be when you pressurize the system with the bulb.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2012

Thanks Fryewe,
I guess i'm not enough of a mechanic to figure out how I do what you said though. If the fuel system is so sensitive to air in it how do I attach a (rubber) squeeze bulb with I guess a rubber tube to a pressurized steel fuel line without having air leak in from there?
Another question, as I looked back on all the responses so far is, when I took off both filters to replace them there was fuel in them so I guess that at least rules out a blocked lift pump in the tank right (my problem started after I had just topped off the fuel tank)?
Aye's me.
Old 12-23-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Did you locate the second bleeder I mentioned above? If air gets in the system, fuel will not get to the injectors if you don't bleed this one as well as the bleeder on the fuel filter. Putting in a squeeze bulb will make priming the system easier because it pumps quicker than the ridiculously slow fuel pump lever BUT permanently installing another item in the fuel line also creates more potential problem spots. Those outboard gas tank squeegees were probably never made for permanent installation in diesel lines. Some people have installed electric fuel pumps but remember, the more gizmos you have, the more things there are to break. I have found that if all connections are tight, the basic system works just fine.
Old 12-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If you have an all-suction fuel pickup system leaks are very hard to detect.. fuel won't likely leak out, but air will readily leak in.

The squeeze bulb idea (like an outboard motor's priming bulb) can work, but in our case I suspect it was an air leak source. We've since gone to a Racor with a built in primer pump.

It does sound like you may have a serious (new) large air leak somewhere, or you've simply been unable to fully, properly bleed your system. All gaskets/seals/orings in place on your new filters?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-23-2012

Thanks smurphny and Faster, I will refill the secondary (which i didn't do initially) and check all seals and connections. maybe install a squeez bulb with a caution about air leaks, maybe temporary install (but then i'll get a leak again when i remove)? I thought diesel engines were so carefree and reliable!
By the way, why would an air leak develop all of a sudden after topping fuel? Someone earlier said it was unrelated but this engine always ran great and what about the principle of last thing done is probably the problem?
Thanks again all for your interest and input.
Old 12-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

One other nasty I've seen is a perforated pickup tube in the tank.. depending on where it is, you can be fine as long as the fuel in the tank is higher than the pinhole, but once the fuel level drops you're sucking air from there.

Doesn't really match your symptoms, I suppose, but such a problem could be coincidental to your issue. It's another area to check if you have persistent air in the system

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-23-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Fill the secondary with fuel then try cranking the engine. I've heard that if the cam isn't in the right position the manual fuel pump won't do anything (they're kind of worthless IMO). Crank the engine with the bleed screw open till you get fuel then work your way to the injectors and do each one at least two or three times after the engine is running. It's a lot easier if you have someone to operate the ignition switch for you (obviously) until you get the engine running.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-23-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
Thanks smurphny and Faster, I will refill the secondary (which i didn't do initially) and check all seals and connections. maybe install a squeez bulb with a caution about air leaks, maybe temporary install (but then i'll get a leak again when i remove)? I thought diesel engines were so carefree and reliable!
By the way, why would an air leak develop all of a sudden after topping fuel? Someone earlier said it was unrelated but this engine always ran great and what about the principle of last thing done is probably the problem?
Thanks again all for your interest and input.
I wouldn't worry about removing a temporary squeegee. The pressurized system begins after the fuel pump which will probably pump the system full before sucking air. Do you have a filter before the on-engine filter? If not, it would be a good time to install one. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...9530&id=133942 They're reasonably priced and keep the primary filter clean so you don't have to change that little one too often. You could easily put the temp pumper from that filter to the fuel line and quickly remove it when she kicks over. A filter between tank and engine also will assure the injectors don't get clogged. I hope that's not your problem already because they are a pain to remove and clean. You can also crack open a banjo fitting to see if fuel is getting to the injectors. You need to torque those back down if loosened.

One thing to be VERY careful of is hydro-locking the engine by cranking too much and filling the exhaust system with water which then backs up into the engine and fills the lowest cylinder. Just close the sea **** or pull off the line leading to the riser and let it drain into the bilge until the engine starts.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-23-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: link

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.