Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012

Ahoyhoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling

Hello there.
A simple check is to use the primer pump to bleed the fuel from the tank to the filter head. Then use the primer to bleed the fuel to the injection pump. You will have ensured that fuel travels freely to your injection pump. That's good. Next, holding the injector bodies with a wrench, loosen the injector pipes one turn. With the seacock turned off have someone crank the engine until fuel begins to surge and run down the injectors, then, holding the injector, retighten the pipe. Open the seacock and the engine should start now. That doesn't mean it will though. If it's injecting water from the fuel system then it will run and die, so ensure, hopefully at a Racor filter or some such thing, that what you are feeding the engine is in fact clean diesel.
Some other things to note...
1.. make note of the oil and coolant level before you go on. If either rise or drop while you are figuring out your problem, the solution might be revealed by those changes.
2.. the amount of water exiting the boat through the exhaust while running could reveal plugged exhaust/water backing into cylinders.

I have confidence in you. You can do it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2012

alechich is on a distinguished road

Thanks All, all good advice. murph i will make sure i close the sea**** while cranking. i left it open when trying to start last time, hope it didn't do what you said it could; don't think i overdid it since didn't want to run the batteries down. I do have a primary filter. I can bleed the injectors with the engine running?

So what I'm going to do next time on the boat:
1. take off engine filter and fill with fuel before reinstalling
2. check all other seals and fittings as i can
3. crank it about half turn to see if manual lever will start fuel flowing
4. bleed the primary and secondary filters
5. bleed the injector (pump and injectors?, will try to find both)
7. maybe leave tank cap open in case its a vent issue?
6. start her up

Does this sound like a plan?
Old 12-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't try bleeding at the banjo fittings with the engine running. If it's running, the point is moot. What you can do is loosen the lowest one while cranking to see if fuel is getting that far. The main thing to do is to bleed the air out using the two bleed points. First the fuel bowl bleeder, then the injector pump bleeder. I bleed them with just the lever on the fuel pump. Once you get clear fuel flowing as far as the injector pump bleeder, the engine should start shortly thereafter. If you feel you may have sucked in water, make sure you check the dipstick for any whiteness or milky appearance, in which case you'll need to change the oil a couple of times. It may also be necessary to pull the lowest injector(s) and blow out any water in the lowest cylinder(s). If you attempt pulling injectors, make sure you get all the parts out because when you crank the engine to blow out the water, any parts left behind (heat shield and washers) will blow out and initiate a search through all the nooks and crannies of the bilge. Ask me how I know this
Old 12-29-2012

73Morgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
Thanks All, all good advice. murph i will make sure i close the sea**** while cranking. i left it open when trying to start last time, hope it didn't do what you said it could; don't think i overdid it since didn't want to run the batteries down. I do have a primary filter. I can bleed the injectors with the engine running?

So what I'm going to do next time on the boat:
1. take off engine filter and fill with fuel before reinstalling
2. check all other seals and fittings as i can
3. crank it about half turn to see if manual lever will start fuel flowing
4. bleed the primary and secondary filters
5. bleed the injector (pump and injectors?, will try to find both)
7. maybe leave tank cap open in case its a vent issue?
6. start her up

Does this sound like a plan?
You need to start doing some tests that will positively identify the location of your problem. If this was me I would take the low tech approach. I sort of remember that you changed both fuel filters. Did you lightly coat the rubber gaskets with oil and snug them down nice and tight. This lets the gasket slide instead of kinking (causing an air leak), and it makes the removal easier. Next, buy a 3 ft. cheap clear hose (not braded), a hose coupler fitting and 2 hose clamps, same size as your rubber fuel hose line. Disconnect the robber hose at the Lift Pump (located at the starboard side of the engine). Connect the clear hose to that line (snug up the hose clamps). Suck on the clear hose until you see fuel, (fuel tastes horible so plan your attack you wnt to do this right the first time). Put the hose into a clear 1 gallon bottle and let the fuel siphon into the bottle (make shore the hose is the bottom of the bottle immersed in fuel being siphoned at all times), watch for air bubbles in clear hose, fill the bottle to 3/4 full. If you have a shutoff valve in your copper line coming from you fuel tank close it, if you don't quickly disconnect the clear hose and reconnect the rubber line to the lift pump.

If you've seen any bubbles after the bottle is 1/2 full your problem is on the tank side. If you did not see any air bubbles then your problem is not on the tank side, and you can start bleeding the system, which if done in the right sequence will identify the location of the fuel delivery problem.

I know I am a little late to this thread, I hope this helps.

Last edited by 73Morgan; 12-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2012

Thanks 73Morgan. I may try your method but I still can't get the manual pump to deliver, need to try turning the crank until it gets more play. got the secor manual and it says the lever may not be getting full bite. mine only moves about to 5 o'clock from about 2 o'clock I think.
Old 12-29-2012

Quote:
Thanks 73Morgan. I may try your method but I still can't get the manual pump to deliver, need to try turning the crank until it gets more play. got the secor manual and it says the lever may not be getting full bite. mine only moves about to 5 o'clock from about 2 o'clock I think.
Where is the manual pump? I didn't think that engine had one, my doesn't. As I said before you need to determine that you are getting fuel from the tank. If you are not getting fuel all other efforts are futile.
Old 12-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Check to make sure your fuel pump is tight. The lever that hits the cam shaft moves very little. If the pump bolts are not completely tight, the lever will not move up and down. Maybe the fuel pump is shot. Take the bowl off the filter and pump the lever to confirm that fuel is being pumped. If yes, then crank the engine and see if fuel is still being pumped. If no, then it's a pump lever or cam issue or you are sucking air between the pump and the fuel tank (which is more likely). Just remember that the little fuel pump lever TAKES FOREVER to move any fuel. If you've been pumping by hand for a minute, it's not long enough...keep pumping. As I mentioned before, it takes a long time to get fuel flowing with that lever. Test the pump alone by running a temp hose from a can of fuel. If it pumps, it's probably ok and your issue is from tank to pump somewhere.

If you're going to be working on this engine you REALLY ought to get the factory service manual. Those third party manuals are ok but do not have 1/4 of the info in the actual manual from Yanmar.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-30-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2012

Gary M is on a distinguished road

I put an outboard priming bulb permanently installed right at the outlet from my tank. Works great, never could get the manual lever to work. I have a 2GM and seem to run out of fuel regularly.

With the primer bulb I just open the vent on the primary Racor filter, pump the bulb till it get rid of the air them move on to the small filter at the front of the engine. I have never had to vent the injectors at the banjo washers, even when I had my injectors out for overhauled.
Strongly recommend the bulb.

An air leak in the system will do this as has been stated so again the bulb pressurizing the fuel system would help find that.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2013

Thanks Garym. I might try to put that pump on if i still can't get the lever to work right. Surprised you often run out of fuel with the 2gm though, mine seemed to never go down (hence filled it at the end of season with only about 5 gallons-and encountered this problem). still can't figure how i could have got an air leak just by fueling though, although it could have picked up some crap that clogged something and then needed a bleed after i changed the filters.
Thaks all!
Old 01-02-2013

An air leak can develop for various reasons, crack at welded hose connection, dried out cracked rubber hose, etc. However I am guessing that you don't have an air leak. It is very common to end up with a clogged fuel filter. You changed both of them and it is also my guess that you lost all your prime. If people here are going to be able to help you need to focus on and eliminate one thing at a time. The first thing you need to do is get fuel to your Mechanical Lift Pump. If there is no fuel there the pump doesn't have anything to pump or it will take a very long time to get fuel there. In my previous post I gave you one way to do that and dismiss the air leak. Once you do that we will guide you forward.
Please verify is your engine is a 2gm2f or a 2gm20f.
Are you able to turn the engine with the starter.