Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013

alechich is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2gm2f no start after fueling

Thanks Morgan73. I actually did get the little primer pump going today after turning the crank till the lever felt like it went a little bit further down with a little resitance, and I saw fuel coming from the bleed screw on the pump/filter canister. then I bled the screw further along under it to the pump (?). then i tried to start the engine and actually got a lttle cough before I stopped because the battery was dying (which is on a solar charger but hadn't set the trickle charger for the 2nd batt, nor had the 25 watt light connected to heat the oil sump). however this was THE FIRST TIME i got any sign of life for some time so am very encouraged!!
Will let you know what happens tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

It's been said before no doubt, but worth repeating.. be sure to have your RWC valve shut off until the engine catches for real!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2013

Thanks Faster, yeah it did come up before and am religeous about it now but i may have done some cranking before i found out. am hoping it didn't happen (water getting into cylinder). i guess i'll know tomorrow when i try to start with fresher batteries and a warmed oil pan? if it starts it starts right?
Old 01-02-2013

73Morgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
.......I stopped because the battery was dying (which is on a solar charger but hadn't set the trickle charger for the 2nd batt, nor had the 25 watt light connected to heat the oil sump). however this was THE FIRST TIME i got any sign of life for some time so am very encouraged!!
Will let you know what happens tomorrow.
You realize that a solar charged does not do much for charging overnight. It would help if you could get a full charge with an automatic charger overnight. A fast cranking speed is also important on that initial startup. It sounds like you are almost done. Did you bleed right at the injection pump? Then the last place is right at the injectors, loosen the fittings one at the time until you see fuel coming out. After starting watch for leaks for a while until you feel confident you have none.
Old 01-04-2013

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum that responded to me and helped out. I finally got the little handle on the pump to work just a bit more by moving the crank till I could feel it going a little lower and with some resistance. I had loosed the engine fuel filter and noticed fuel coming out of it, so after it looked like no bubbles (which it did from when I first noticed it)I went to the seond bleeder down to what lloked like the injector pump. THIS WAS NOT IN THE MANUAL. There I did get air out and the tightened down. As per at least two or three commenters, on this and another site (cruisers), I decided to try starting it before going to the injectors, as I stated the other day (when I got just a cough and stopped because I hadn't warmed the oil and trickle charger was not on one battery). It started right off today, with a little extra help of encouragement with the starter. I ran it under load also and checked all fittings. Good as new!!
Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2013

73Morgan is on a distinguished road

Good idea to have spare filters on the boat. I change mine every year. Since this happened while you were fueling there are 2 possibilities:
1. You just ran out of fuel
2. Your fuel got contaminated. Fuel gets old on sailboats since you normally use so little, moisture/bacteria settles at the bottom of the tank. It gets stirred up when you are fueling or you motor in rougher waters. You might want to siphon some fuel from the lowest point in the tank and see what it looks like, if it is dirty that is your problem.
Old 01-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechich View Post
SUCCESS!!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum that responded to me and helped out. I finally got the little handle on the pump to work just a bit more by moving the crank till I could feel it going a little lower and with some resistance. I had loosed the engine fuel filter and noticed fuel coming out of it, so after it looked like no bubbles (which it did from when I first noticed it)I went to the seond bleeder down to what lloked like the injector pump. THIS WAS NOT IN THE MANUAL. There I did get air out and the tightened down. As per at least two or three commenters, on this and another site (cruisers), I decided to try starting it before going to the injectors, as I stated the other day (when I got just a cough and stopped because I hadn't warmed the oil and trickle charger was not on one battery). It started right off today, with a little extra help of encouragement with the starter. I ran it under load also and checked all fittings. Good as new!!
Thanks again.
Good news!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)