Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Chapter 13: Finally Catching a Break

Well, the weather relented a bit and I was finally able to get a little paint sprayed yesterday.

Here are most of the aluminum parts that needed an initial primer coat of zinc chromate.

Oil pan and bell housing:

Intake manifold and oil filter bracket:

Exhaust mixing elbow, fuel filter shousing and fuel lift pump:

With the oil pan primed, I was able to start putting the block back together.

Once the pan was back on, I had to trim about 1/16" of the cork gasket that goes around the front and rear main bearing caps. Very quickly and cleanly done with a wood chisel:

Next piece to go on was the timing backing plate:

(If you look closely, you'll notice that most of those bolts holding the backing plate on have some flat washers stacked -- that's temporary. There are four bolts that are in to stay, but the rest will need to come back out as they are the ones that secure the perimeter of the timing cover. I did, however, need to get clamping pressure on as many places as possible to make sure the gasket sealant got a good grip to the block.)

FWIW: I used Permatex Aviation gasket sealant on all the gaskets. Seems to have a good reputation, and hopefully will stand the test of time.

Looking like I'll be able to get the head back on tomorrow.
Faster and arf145 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2013
Señor Member

Chapter 14: Another Week, Another Distraction

Well, as usual life has intervened and demanded attention. I got some wind damage to the house a storm or two ago, and my neighbor was really anxious for me to take care of it. You see, we live in a three level townhouse, and a piece of flashing came loose and was scraping across said neighbor’s roof right above their bed. I had to rent a 34’ extension ladder to get up on the roof, and since I was already out the rental cost decided to do a decent inspection and fix any gripes I discovered. What a great idea! Well, that turned into an “as long as we’ve got the ladder…” evolution that made for a quickly growing list of projects that were difficult to ignore. What’re ya gonna do?

Anyway, here’s the Perky Update:

Threw on the head gasket:

Got the head on and torqued her down to specs:

While SJB recommended painting only after assembly is complete, I decided to move ahead before I got that far. There are a couple of reasons: Firstly, there a many parts on this engine that would simply prevent me from getting a decent paint covering on the entire block. Second, some of the parts are just easier to spray while off of the engine.

First job is the primer.

Now, keeping in mind SJB’s lament of having bare metal showing after his paint job, I took the time to mask carefully and selectively.

Here’s what I did. The injector pump is the biggest offender when it comes to interfering. I masked over the opening, then loosely bolted on the gasket.

I then trimmed around the gasket with an X-acto knife and removed the tape I didn’t need. Took off the gasket, covered the bolt holes, and she’d ready to rock.

I did the same thing for the rocker cover, the intake manifold opening, the water pump, the tappet cover opening, and the exhaust manifold opening.

Now, another area that needed special measures are the recesses for the injectors. If I had sprayed paint with the injectors installed, there’s no way I could get paint down in the holes without either missing spots or worse yet flooding the paint in there. I trimmed some cork stoppers and used them as plugs.

After all the masking was done, I then cleaned the block (several times) with mineral spirits. I would have preferred to use brake cleaner, but I discovered that it removes zinc chromate primer – DOH!

Then it was spray, spray and spray some more. Three coats total: mist coat first, slightly heavier second coat, then a healthy third coat.

I also used the gray primer over top of the aluminum parts I’d already hit with the zinc chromate to make sure I get a uniform final color when the top coat goes on:

And no, that’s not fog gathering in the garage – just a lot of primer in the air.

Funny story, that... Turns out that the door seal between the garage and the house doesn’t seal too well, and the boss was not really keen on my purty paint work when she got home. It took a while for the house to air out enough that I wasn’t forced to sleep on the couch (although it was touch and go for a while...)

Stay tuned for more progress.
jrd22, Faster, MedSailor and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 02-27-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Personally I HATE the smell of paint, or other VOC. Although the mroe I snewll it hte betttrre I fleel abasout the smmszell.

MedSailor
arf145 and SloopJonB like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

What is the brand of grey primer you are using? What will be the top coat?
Regards
Old 02-28-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

This is looking GREAT. (Maine Sail - eat your heart out.)

Once your through with the Perky, how would you feel about trying your hand at a Universal M25? I think that I can find one somewhere...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to thank you again for such meticulous documentation of this project.. great job, looks great and as SJB hinted earlier almost makes me want to have to do the same (so I can try to do as good a job!!)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Porf, I like the improvements you made on my advice - those "blanketed" areas on the 108 were not a factor on my Chevy. The way you corked the injector wells was a great idea.

I think you can see what I was getting at where the bits of block show around the oil pan rail and the corners of the block deck under the head.

It's looking great - keep it coming.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-28-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I'm in awe of your undertaking, looks great...I hope it starts
Old 02-28-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
...I hope it starts
You and me both, amigo, you and me both...
T37Chef likes this.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 02-28-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
What is the brand of grey primer you are using? What will be the top coat?
Regards
For primer, most parts are getting rattle can DupliColor Engine Primer. A couple of hang-on parts (like the brass oil change pump) I'm gonna see how Rustoleum hi-temp self-etching primer does.

For the top coats, I'll be using Eastwood's Engine Enamel.

I did the initial coat with a brush on a couple of test pieces today (like the dipstick tube), just to see how it flowed out and what kind of results a brush would yield. I'll let those puppies dry for a min of 24 hrs, and then hit them again with a second coat.

I'll be spraying the block, but not for a little while yet.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild