Chapter 14: Another Week, Another Distraction
Well, as usual life has intervened and demanded attention. I got some wind damage to the house a storm or two ago, and my neighbor was really anxious for me to take care of it. You see, we live in a three level townhouse, and a piece of flashing came loose and was scraping across said neighbor’s roof right above their bed. I had to rent a 34’ extension ladder to get up on the roof, and since I was already out the rental cost decided to do a decent inspection and fix any gripes I discovered. What a great idea! Well, that turned into an “as long as we’ve got the ladder…” evolution that made for a quickly growing list of projects that were difficult to ignore. What’re ya gonna do?
Anyway, here’s the Perky Update:
Threw on the head gasket:
Got the head on and torqued her down to specs:
While SJB recommended painting only after assembly is complete, I decided to move ahead before I got that far. There are a couple of reasons: Firstly, there a many parts on this engine that would simply prevent me from getting a decent paint covering on the entire block. Second, some of the parts are just easier to spray while off of the engine.
First job is the primer.
Now, keeping in mind SJB’s lament of having bare metal showing after his paint job, I took the time to mask carefully and selectively.
Here’s what I did. The injector pump is the biggest offender when it comes to interfering. I masked over the opening, then loosely bolted on the gasket.
I then trimmed around the gasket with an X-acto knife and removed the tape I didn’t need. Took off the gasket, covered the bolt holes, and she’d ready to rock.
I did the same thing for the rocker cover, the intake manifold opening, the water pump, the tappet cover opening, and the exhaust manifold opening.
Now, another area that needed special measures are the recesses for the injectors. If I had sprayed paint with the injectors installed, there’s no way I could get paint down in the holes without either missing spots or worse yet flooding the paint in there. I trimmed some cork stoppers and used them as plugs.
After all the masking was done, I then cleaned the block (several times) with mineral spirits. I would have preferred to use brake cleaner, but I discovered that it removes zinc chromate primer – DOH!
Then it was spray, spray and spray some more. Three coats total: mist coat first, slightly heavier second coat, then a healthy third coat.
I also used the gray primer over top of the aluminum parts I’d already hit with the zinc chromate to make sure I get a uniform final color when the top coat goes on:
And no, that’s not fog gathering in the garage – just a lot of primer in the air.
Funny story, that... Turns out that the door seal between the garage and the house doesn’t seal too well, and the boss was not really keen on my purty paint work when she got home. It took a while for the house to air out enough that I wasn’t forced to sleep on the couch (although it was touch and go for a while...)
Stay tuned for more progress.