Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I'm probably stating the obvious, but in looking for a Before & After of your project I remembered this;

It seems that this is the explanation.
I think so too. When the guy from the diesel shop reinstalled the I-P way back when, he neglected to line up the timing marks. He also put gorilla snot gasket adhesive on both sides of the gasket, so once it was set the pump couldn't be adjusted without complete removal. I won't be making the same mistake this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013
Señor Member

J-A,

Great diagram of the Bowman and the Perkins parts.

Do you happen to have the entire ED70058 build list diagrams, or just that one plate?

I'd love to get a copy of anything you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 03-26-2013

Location: Home in Canada, boat in the Caribbeans at the moment.
Jacques-Andre is on a distinguished road

PorFin,

But the pallet would look great in red !

But it's OK, still and A+ job.
Old 03-26-2013

Location: Home in Canada, boat in the Caribbeans at the moment.
Jacques-Andre is on a distinguished road

PorFin,

I just have that one page of that manual, which I needed to figure out elbows and stuff. I do have the other shop manuals that you can fetch on the web. If you want a look at what I have, I can share it on DropBox. But it all comes from the web.

The build list was a Perkins reseller affair, and I can't find it on the web. The shop in Martinique has a copy on the other side of the counter, and the ladies look at it and tell you "how much" stuff cost, but they won't show me the books or parts numbers!

Next time you visit TAD diesel, maybe you should ask for a photocopy !!

Jacques
Old 03-26-2013
Señor Member

Rats! I've been using all the internet available stuff out there as well. I think I've got three different workshop manuals, a couple of different 4.108M parts manuals (that are not entirely complete), plus various sales literature that's floating around.

Getting the ED70054 build list diagrams would be uber useful, though.

I've heard from a couple of different places that Perkins intends to stop supporting the 4.108 soon. That means that OEM parts aren't going to be produced anymore. Not sure how that will effect the aftermarket parts availability...

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 03-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Andre View Post
Lucky your "core" was still good. I heard that some people have theirs so corroded they need replacing. It was the same price to buy the whole assembly from the UK than to buy the "core" and the 2 rubber caps! That's why I did this. On top of this, my "drain plug" was totally blocked and I feared the worse. In the end I managed to clear it.

So I am not sure that a new one is such a bad idea for some of us! Well I hope so or else I have a very expensive paper weight on hand ;-)
I would think a decent rad shop could build you a new bundle for a LOT less than $900 - mine sure could. There's not much to those bundles but some copper tubing. If there was enough left of yours to give them the dimensions they could whip one up for less than "marine" prices I think.

I thought that cooler design was the best bit of engineering on the whole Perkins engine - very elegant engineering the way the bundle is captured and just floats in the end caps. It sure makes maintenance easy. If I end up with another Perky I'll remove & clean it as part of my annual maintenance

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
I've heard from a couple of different places that Perkins intends to stop supporting the 4.108 soon. That means that OEM parts aren't going to be produced anymore. Not sure how that will effect the aftermarket parts availability...
Someone will probably step in like Moyer did for the A4. There must be millions of 107/108's out there.

I'll let the currently unborn worry about that one.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I had to pay $600 for a new bundle for a Bowman H/E on our Pathfinder. It seemed a lot but I got it literally within hours of ordering it (and it had to be custom finished) by an outfit in Bellingham.

We were in Plumper Cove... called them in the morning with dimensions, limped home, hopped in the car and drove down to the guy's house, picked up the new one. Installed and headed out the next day.

Not cheap, but damn good service.... but not $900 either.

http://www.seakamp.com/

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-26-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Señor Member

The tube stack in the Bowman isn't your garden variety copper unit.

It's cupro-nickel, which is really, really corrosion resistant. That's why the Bowman h/x units aren't produced with sacrificial zincs -- they don't need them (according to Bowman.) I was skeptical about that claim until I opened mine up and found no signs of corrosion. It was a showing just a little calcification, but no corrosion at all. The aluminum mixing elbow, OTOH, had some issues (which you'll also hear about a little later...)

BTW: ASAP Supplies has this tube stack listed for about $380 (VAT not included).

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 03-26-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Andre View Post
Dear PorFin.

If you can share with us the breakdown of cost for the project and maybe those nice spreadsheets you have designed!
I've been wanting to ask this as well, but haven't had the stones. Though, I must say, that even if you've spent as much money as it would cost to have someone else install a brand new motor, your motor is CLEARLY going to be better than new, and since you now know every single washer and bolt, you are now going to be it's master, not its slave.

Now fess up. How much did all these parts, and hot-tanking cost?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild