Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: This Ought to Keep Me Busy...

Some people will simply do anything to save a few thousand bucks.
Old 12-12-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Some people will simply do anything to save a few thousand bucks.
Well, almost anything...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Make sure you get the better 'rope' seal for the rear crankshaft seal.

eg Perkins 4.108 rear crankshaft seal - £9.60 : Parts4Engines: Perkins Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits and Spares
Old 12-13-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

More pictures of the teardown and rebuild!!!
Old 12-13-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
So, glutton for punishment that I am, I've started a winter project:

[IMG][/IMG]

That's our aux -- a reliable Perkins 4.108M that (as you can tell from the staining) has developed a bit of an oil leak problem that is even high by Perkins standards. We also were getting a pretty noticeable exhaust stain on the stern, which didn't indicate good things...

After a lot of deliberation about whether or not to repower, I decided to bring this lump home to tear her down and see just how bad is is. I'll do a complete inspection, measuring the components against workshop manual specs, to see what all needs to be replaced.

At this point, I figure that at best I can get by with a top end job. If the cylinders liners show significant wear, then those'll need to be replaced.

The deal breakers will be if the block, crank, head or other major components need to be replaced.

Stay tuned...

What fun!
Your problem is the color. REAL diesel engines are supposed to be grey. Paint it grey and it will start running again.

HEHE!

Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see it.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-20-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Your problem is the color. REAL diesel engines are supposed to be grey. Paint it grey and it will start running again.

HEHE!

Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see it.

Brian
But Brian, I thought that the accepted wisdom is that blue makes it go fast?
Old 12-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
But Brian, I thought that the accepted wisdom is that blue makes it go fast?
A blue STRIPE under the rub rail makes it go fast. Not the color of the engine. How silly. You can purchase your blue stripes directly through Catalina Yachts. Let me know if you need the number.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-20-2012
Señor Member

Perkins 4.108M: The Teardown

Disclaimer: Not too many pics here -- greasy, grimy hands and digital cameras are a bad combo.

I took my time disassembling the engine, giving all of the parts a first-pass cleaning as they came off to get the majority of the grime off. I kind of used a wide variety of cleaners, together with brass, stainless and regular tooth brushes. Spray Nine did a god job on light dirt. Purple Power was a little better, but plain old mineral spirits was probably the most effective and gives the best bang for the buck. For cleaning non-threaded fastener openings, I bought a cheap gun cleaning set from Wal-Mart; the bore brushes included work well for holes up to 3/8". For the larger holes I laid on a set of pipe cleaning brushes from the plumbing section of Lowes. For the nooks and crannies I broke out the dental tools.

I hit all threaded openings (and fasteners that were still in good shape) with thread chasers.

Each assembly went into its own ziplock bag, complete with fasteners. Those assemblies that were too big for bags were wrapped in packing stretch film. I gave all the iron parts a quick wipe down with ATF or WD-40 first to keep rust at bay until the engine goes back together.

Getting the cylinder head off was a bit of a struggle. I had to use some wooden door shims between the block and the head to get them to come apart. Once the head was off, I saw why. Several of the studs had developed a decent layer of rust, which kind of jammed things up.

All in all, I only had to hit a half-dozen or so fasteners with heat to get them out. The cheapo propane torch definitely came in handy. A couple put up real fights, but they eventually came loose. Repeated applications of PB Blaster, heat, and perseverance eventually won the day.

Several of the head studs are getting a little pitted...

Some of the fasteners are just not worth saving. Here's what most of the bell housing studs looked like. It'll be much better/easier to just replace them.

Getting gasket residue off is time consuming. For small parts that came off the block, I chucked a brass brush into the drill press and let the machine do the hard work. For the bigger parts, it was a combination of tools: a putty knife I put a chisel point on; utility knife blades; safety razor blades; and an old putty knife blade I had sharpened like a card scraper.

Clean mating surfaces:

The broken damper plate bolt eventually came out. Initially I drilled a hole for the easy out only deep enough to get the threads to bite, then let it soak with PBB. No joy... Heat, then more PBB and soak a couple of days; still no joy. Eventually I drilled completely through the length of the bolt so that the torch flame would get heat to the whole part -- JOY!

Next Chapter: Measurements
Faster, MedSailor and smackdaddy like this.
Old 12-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Nice work, and well-written, porf. Hopefully this will demystify the process for folks who think the internal combustion spinnaker is a box of black magic.
+1 on PBB- it's like Frank's Red Hot around stately jones manor.

Old 12-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Great post, Porfin.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild