Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 89Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 268 Old 05-16-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,464
Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Ahoy. folks.

First, let me extend my sincere apologies to those whom I've left in the lurch -- I should have let everyone know that I was dropping off the net for a little while.

Bottom Line: I will conclude this story complete with (ahem...) cost data, so don't give up hope.

Here's the deal: Now that we're dirt dwellers once again and the weather started to warm a bit, I began to tackle a few "simple homeowner maintenance chores." As a somewhat conscientious older boat owner, I should have known that those words in the quotation marks rarely go together.

I discovered a small leak at our front door. I grabbed a tube of caulk and a putty knife, and figured it'd be a 15 minute fix.

Boy, was I wrong.

As I was digging out the old caulk, I noticed the jamb was soft. Doing some exploratory surgery with the putty knife, I soon realized that painters over the years (while I had the house on the rental market) had applied PVC caps over what they had apparently also noticed as soft wood. All this did was trap water in the wood, and to make a long story short, I've got a new prehung door with sidelights on order.

If the pain ended there, it wouldn't be so bad.

The water that was coming down the wood fibers of the jamb also rotted out the sub sill (another WTF discovery -- the builders used 3/4 OSB on the concrete slab to elevate the door sill to clear the oak flooring; who in their right mind would have used OSB?)

The mission creep continued. The hardwood floor adhesive was beginning to fail, so I tore the floor up in the foyer and am now prepping for porcelain tiles. Getting all the adhesive off the slab was way, WAY too similar to scraping bottom pant for my liking. I still need to hit the slab with a diamond cup to get the remnants off and to roughen up the surface so the thinset will bond well and I won't be faced with tiles popping up too soon.

So, once again, apologies extended and I promise to wrap this tale up once the home project gets put to bed.
You're SURE you bought a house and not a wooden boat?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #222 of 268 Old 05-17-2013
Learning the HARD way...
 
eherlihy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston / Ft Myers Area
Posts: 4,053
Thanks: 158
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Ahoy. folks.

First, let me extend my sincere apologies to those whom I've left in the lurch -- I should have let everyone know that I was dropping off the net for a little while.

Bottom Line: I will conclude this story complete with (ahem...) cost data, so don't give up hope.

Here's the deal: Now that we're dirt dwellers once again and the weather started to warm a bit, I began to tackle a few "simple homeowner maintenance chores." As a somewhat conscientious older boat owner, I should have known that those words in the quotation marks rarely go together.

I discovered a small leak at our front door. I grabbed a tube of caulk and a putty knife, and figured it'd be a 15 minute fix.

Boy, was I wrong.

As I was digging out the old caulk, I noticed the jamb was soft. Doing some exploratory surgery with the putty knife, I soon realized that painters over the years (while I had the house on the rental market) had applied PVC caps over what they had apparently also noticed as soft wood. All this did was trap water in the wood, and to make a long story short, I've got a new prehung door with sidelights on order.

If the pain ended there, it wouldn't be so bad.

The water that was coming down the wood fibers of the jamb also rotted out the sub sill (another WTF discovery -- the builders used 3/4 OSB on the concrete slab to elevate the door sill to clear the oak flooring; who in their right mind would have used OSB?)

The mission creep continued. The hardwood floor adhesive was beginning to fail, so I tore the floor up in the foyer and am now prepping for porcelain tiles. Getting all the adhesive off the slab was way, WAY too similar to scraping bottom pant for my liking. I still need to hit the slab with a diamond cup to get the remnants off and to roughen up the surface so the thinset will bond well and I won't be faced with tiles popping up too soon.

So, once again, apologies extended and I promise to wrap this tale up once the home project gets put to bed.
We need pictures, or it's all BS...

This is why we're selling the 4br home with a pool on ½ acre for a condo.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems
eherlihy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #223 of 268 Old 05-17-2013
Old enough to know better
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 3,116
Thanks: 19
Thanked 128 Times in 124 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Yea, sounds like a typical boat project not a house project. Are you sure that is oak floring and not Teak and Holley? though that might make a good replacement! Make you feel more at home. I am currently doing floors and using laminate, and if you ever go that route, get only the top of the line laminate, the cheap stuff is no fun to work with. I guess that goes for most things in life! Next time I would do real wood unless it was below grade.
miatapaul is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #224 of 268 Old 06-03-2013
Learning the HARD way...
 
eherlihy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston / Ft Myers Area
Posts: 4,053
Thanks: 158
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

It has been 2 weeks - not that I'm counting, or anything... Where's the update?

We're all dying to know how it turned out!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems
eherlihy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #225 of 268 Old 06-03-2013
Closet Powerboater
 
MedSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 3,558
Thanks: 256
Thanked 111 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
It has been 2 weeks - not that I'm counting, or anything... Where's the update?

We're all dying to know how it turned out!
The guy is probably out using his boat rather than just working on it and talking about it here on SailNet.

Hey mods, isn't that enough cause to get him banned from the forums?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MedSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #226 of 268 Old 06-03-2013 Thread Starter
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Now, now, easy does it...

I'm still cussing up a storm working on the house, and according to the boss the house has priority over the boat.

The good news is that the front door came in, and the boss & I wrestled it into place Saturday. Not a perfect fit, but good enough (ain't spray foam great?). Yesterday & today was all about trying to outsmart the weather while replacing all the old trim with new (I'm using PVC/AZEK where I can) and caulking all the joints.

I've still got painting to go, and then it'll be time to shift fire back to tiling the foyer.

Once that's done, THEN I get to have a little man time and play with the boat projects again


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #227 of 268 Old 07-04-2013 Thread Starter
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Alrighty, then...

Foyer's done, and we're off on vay-cay visiting with the Boss' family in west Michigan.

If I can manage my time between adult beverages well, it looks like I'll finally be able to start bringing this overly long and winded tale to a close.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #228 of 268 Old 07-04-2013
Irrationally Exuberant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,332
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Congrats on the foyer. I'll look forward to the conclusion of the rebuild! And kudos on your storytelling skills--you've built the drama beautifully.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
arf145 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #229 of 268 Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...
 
eherlihy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston / Ft Myers Area
Posts: 4,053
Thanks: 158
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Bump...

We need an update.

I'm NOT letting you off.

BTW - we closed on the condo in mid-June, and closed on the home sale a week and a half ago (early July). I believe that the new owners plan to move in in late July, after they return from vacation. The couple that bought the house has never owned a pool before.

I stopped by the house to dig up the statue of St Joseph earlier this week, and noticed that the pool looked like a margarita -complete with salt.

I also noticed that the pool pump was running. I guess that someone has been messing with the timer, because it was only supposed to run at night. I glanced at the pressure gauge on top of the filter, and noticed that the needle was pegged at 35+ PSI (12-17 is "normal," and I never allowed it to go above 23 PSI). This is gonna cost them both time and money to fix...

I am SO looking forward to spending more time in August on the boat!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems
eherlihy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #230 of 268 Old 07-19-2013 Thread Starter
Señor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Bump...

We need an update.

I'm NOT letting you off.
Yeah, I'm feeling a bit guilty.

Since our return from Michigan, I've been letting my liver recover and have been hammering out other projects on the boat (and house.)

I'll set a goal -- complete this by the end of the month.

ATB,
PF


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perkins 4-108M Switch details pbanderson Introduce Yourself 4 04-05-2013 03:03 PM
Perkins 4108 Rebuild Ilenart Diesel 4 02-13-2010 11:32 PM
rebuild perkins 4-108 gavinandrebecca Gear & Maintenance 12 12-14-2007 11:41 AM
Perkins 4-108M 50HP overheating. CharlieCobra Gear & Maintenance 19 10-12-2007 12:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome