Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Ahoy. folks.

First, let me extend my sincere apologies to those whom I've left in the lurch -- I should have let everyone know that I was dropping off the net for a little while.

Bottom Line: I will conclude this story complete with (ahem...) cost data, so don't give up hope.

Here's the deal: Now that we're dirt dwellers once again and the weather started to warm a bit, I began to tackle a few "simple homeowner maintenance chores." As a somewhat conscientious older boat owner, I should have known that those words in the quotation marks rarely go together.

I discovered a small leak at our front door. I grabbed a tube of caulk and a putty knife, and figured it'd be a 15 minute fix.

Boy, was I wrong.

As I was digging out the old caulk, I noticed the jamb was soft. Doing some exploratory surgery with the putty knife, I soon realized that painters over the years (while I had the house on the rental market) had applied PVC caps over what they had apparently also noticed as soft wood. All this did was trap water in the wood, and to make a long story short, I've got a new prehung door with sidelights on order.

If the pain ended there, it wouldn't be so bad.

The water that was coming down the wood fibers of the jamb also rotted out the sub sill (another WTF discovery -- the builders used 3/4 OSB on the concrete slab to elevate the door sill to clear the oak flooring; who in their right mind would have used OSB?)

The mission creep continued. The hardwood floor adhesive was beginning to fail, so I tore the floor up in the foyer and am now prepping for porcelain tiles. Getting all the adhesive off the slab was way, WAY too similar to scraping bottom pant for my liking. I still need to hit the slab with a diamond cup to get the remnants off and to roughen up the surface so the thinset will bond well and I won't be faced with tiles popping up too soon.

So, once again, apologies extended and I promise to wrap this tale up once the home project gets put to bed.
You're SURE you bought a house and not a wooden boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Ahoy. folks.

First, let me extend my sincere apologies to those whom I've left in the lurch -- I should have let everyone know that I was dropping off the net for a little while.

Bottom Line: I will conclude this story complete with (ahem...) cost data, so don't give up hope.

Here's the deal: Now that we're dirt dwellers once again and the weather started to warm a bit, I began to tackle a few "simple homeowner maintenance chores." As a somewhat conscientious older boat owner, I should have known that those words in the quotation marks rarely go together.

I discovered a small leak at our front door. I grabbed a tube of caulk and a putty knife, and figured it'd be a 15 minute fix.

Boy, was I wrong.

As I was digging out the old caulk, I noticed the jamb was soft. Doing some exploratory surgery with the putty knife, I soon realized that painters over the years (while I had the house on the rental market) had applied PVC caps over what they had apparently also noticed as soft wood. All this did was trap water in the wood, and to make a long story short, I've got a new prehung door with sidelights on order.

If the pain ended there, it wouldn't be so bad.

The water that was coming down the wood fibers of the jamb also rotted out the sub sill (another WTF discovery -- the builders used 3/4 OSB on the concrete slab to elevate the door sill to clear the oak flooring; who in their right mind would have used OSB?)

The mission creep continued. The hardwood floor adhesive was beginning to fail, so I tore the floor up in the foyer and am now prepping for porcelain tiles. Getting all the adhesive off the slab was way, WAY too similar to scraping bottom pant for my liking. I still need to hit the slab with a diamond cup to get the remnants off and to roughen up the surface so the thinset will bond well and I won't be faced with tiles popping up too soon.

So, once again, apologies extended and I promise to wrap this tale up once the home project gets put to bed.
We need pictures, or it's all BS...

This is why we're selling the 4br home with a pool on ½ acre for a condo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 05-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Yea, sounds like a typical boat project not a house project. Are you sure that is oak floring and not Teak and Holley? though that might make a good replacement! Make you feel more at home. I am currently doing floors and using laminate, and if you ever go that route, get only the top of the line laminate, the cheap stuff is no fun to work with. I guess that goes for most things in life! Next time I would do real wood unless it was below grade.
Old 06-03-2013
Learning the HARD way...

It has been 2 weeks - not that I'm counting, or anything... Where's the update?

We're all dying to know how it turned out!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Old 06-03-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
It has been 2 weeks - not that I'm counting, or anything... Where's the update?

We're all dying to know how it turned out!
The guy is probably out using his boat rather than just working on it and talking about it here on SailNet.

Hey mods, isn't that enough cause to get him banned from the forums?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-03-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Now, now, easy does it...

I'm still cussing up a storm working on the house, and according to the boss the house has priority over the boat.

The good news is that the front door came in, and the boss & I wrestled it into place Saturday. Not a perfect fit, but good enough (ain't spray foam great?). Yesterday & today was all about trying to outsmart the weather while replacing all the old trim with new (I'm using PVC/AZEK where I can) and caulking all the joints.

I've still got painting to go, and then it'll be time to shift fire back to tiling the foyer.

Once that's done, THEN I get to have a little man time and play with the boat projects again

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 07-04-2013
Señor Member

Alrighty, then...

Foyer's done, and we're off on vay-cay visiting with the Boss' family in west Michigan.

If I can manage my time between adult beverages well, it looks like I'll finally be able to start bringing this overly long and winded tale to a close.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 07-04-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the foyer. I'll look forward to the conclusion of the rebuild! And kudos on your storytelling skills--you've built the drama beautifully.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Bump...

We need an update.

I'm NOT letting you off.

BTW - we closed on the condo in mid-June, and closed on the home sale a week and a half ago (early July). I believe that the new owners plan to move in in late July, after they return from vacation. The couple that bought the house has never owned a pool before.

I stopped by the house to dig up the statue of St Joseph earlier this week, and noticed that the pool looked like a margarita -complete with salt.

I also noticed that the pool pump was running. I guess that someone has been messing with the timer, because it was only supposed to run at night. I glanced at the pressure gauge on top of the filter, and noticed that the needle was pegged at 35+ PSI (12-17 is "normal," and I never allowed it to go above 23 PSI). This is gonna cost them both time and money to fix...

I am SO looking forward to spending more time in August on the boat!

Old 07-19-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Bump...

We need an update.

I'm NOT letting you off.
Yeah, I'm feeling a bit guilty.

Since our return from Michigan, I've been letting my liver recover and have been hammering out other projects on the boat (and house.)

I'll set a goal -- complete this by the end of the month.

ATB,
PF

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild