Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Porf: Plus one on the kudos on your internal engine re-paint!
I suspect it is in better shape now than when it was built!
Rest up - there is a lot of nasty stuff going around!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Porfin, thanks for such an awesome thread! I have a perkins 4.108 myself and I love to turn my own wrenches. In fact, after 12 years of owning old sailboats, I tried to hire a mechanic for the first time ever to do something and he actually didn't want to do the work.

Having said that I like to work on my engines, I've never done anything "inside" the engine. I have to say, now that I've seen you tear yours all the way down, that without a doubt, I am both more, and less intimidated than before...

Keep it coming!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Porfin, thanks for such an awesome thread! I have a perkins 4.108 myself and I love to turn my own wrenches. In fact, after 12 years of owning old sailboats, I tried to hire a mechanic for the first time ever to do something and he actually didn't want to do the work.

Having said that I like to work on my engines, I've never done anything "inside" the engine. I have to say, now that I've seen you tear yours all the way down, that without a doubt, I am both more, and less intimidated than before...

Keep it coming! MedSailor
He's got me wanting to do it again.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-12-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Been following thread with interest.

Question: My Yanmar 3GMD engine is very rusty. Previous owner had a deck leak directly above the engine. Would be best to pull engine and repaint, but no time to do that in the near future. Would like to clean it up as best I can and paint to protect. Mainly just trying to stop or slow any further corrosion.

The block is cast iron and transmission is aluminum (as well as the engine drain pan). Exhaust and intake look to be cast iron. Plan to degrease engine, remove as much corrosion as I can mechanically, then paint from a spray can.

I have bought some Moeller engine paint, along with the Moeller Zinc Chromate Primer (says for aluminum), and Moeller Zinc Primer (says for steel/cast iron). Can I use the Zinc Chromate Primer on steel/cast iron? Moeller says to use the zinc primer for bare steel, but I doubt I can clean the rust off to bare steel.

Regards
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Been following thread with interest.

Question: My Yanmar 3GMD engine is very rusty. Previous owner had a deck leak directly above the engine. Would be best to pull engine and repaint, but no time to do that in the near future. Would like to clean it up as best I can and paint to protect. Mainly just trying to stop or slow any further corrosion.

The block is cast iron and transmission is aluminum (as well as the engine drain pan). Exhaust and intake look to be cast iron. Plan to degrease engine, remove as much corrosion as I can mechanically, then paint from a spray can.

I have bought some Moeller engine paint, along with the Moeller Zinc Chromate Primer (says for aluminum), and Moeller Zinc Primer (says for steel/cast iron). Can I use the Zinc Chromate Primer on steel/cast iron? Moeller says to use the zinc primer for bare steel, but I doubt I can clean the rust off to bare steel.

Regards
Clean all the loose and flaking rust of then hit it with a rust converter before priming.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-12-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Clean all the loose and flaking rust of then hit it with a rust converter before priming.
Good point. I forgot to mention I have some rust converter. Which primer should I use over the rust converter? I plan to use the Moeller engine paint as a top coat. The only primers they sell are the Zinc Chromate and the pure zinc (advertises as cold zinc paint). Is it ok to use the Zinc Chromate over the rust converter?
Old 02-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Good point. I forgot to mention I have some rust converter. Which primer should I use over the rust converter? I plan to use the Moeller engine paint as a top coat. The only primers they sell are the Zinc Chromate and the pure zinc (advertises as cold zinc paint). Is it ok to use the Zinc Chromate over the rust converter?
Couldn't tell you. I'd talk to a good industrial paint store or call the manufacturer. Personally I'd be surprised if it didn't - Zinc Chromate sticks to aluminium and that's about the fussiest substrate there is as far as bonding goes.
casey1999 likes this.
Old 02-16-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Chapter 11: Getting Back Underway

After a bit of a break, I'm at it again. The time has come to start putting all the puzzle pieces back together.

Here's today's progress...

First, the tappets and cam went back in. All the red goop on the parts is engine assembly lube (you'll see a lot more of this later). The reason is to prevent galling when the engine is initially started, prior to the oil cycling through all the passages. If I were going to be firing Blue up in the next day or two, motor oil would have been fine. However, since she's gonna be sitting for a while yet, assembly lube's viscuous enough to stay in place much better than motor oil.

Next up was the crankshaft.

Now, being somewhat cautious I decided to do one more check before I torqued the main caps down for good. I used a little Plastigage to double check that the running clearances were not excessive (based on my initial measurements I wasn't worried, but you never know; they might have gotten a little heavy-handed when they were polishing the journals.)

All good to go -- time to move on.

Next was assembling the pistons. My camera battery soiled the sheets, so I don't have any shots of attaching the heads to the cranks. I had to break out the heat gun to warm up components so the wrist pins would slide into the piston head and through the small end bearings -- again, I used a healthy coating of assembly lube on the moving parts.

Installed the rings:

And got ready to install the pistons in the block:

Before installing the pistons, I lubed the inside of the cylinders with ATF. Again, oil probably would have been OK, but ATF supposedly has a few advantages: It won't gunk up the ring grooves, the ATF will burn away a little cleaner, and the ATF will burn away faster which will speed up getting the rings seated.

Anyway, nothing fancy about this...

I didn't take any pictures, but I also took Plastigage measurements of the crank bearing running clearances as well -- once again, all is good.

More tomorrow.
jrd22 and Faster like this.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 02-16-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

A co-worker of mine rebuilt an engine, and being the exacting fellow he was, he aligned all the splits in the rings so they looked nice. He found out the hard way that you're supposed to stagger the ring splits or oil and compression can sneak past. He was pissed when his newly rebuilt engine was burning oil.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

nice piston alignment, and good pics of the plastigauge in action.

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild