Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
This Ought to Keep Me Busy...

So, glutton for punishment that I am, I've started a winter project:

[IMG][/IMG]

That's our aux -- a reliable Perkins 4.108M that (as you can tell from the staining) has developed a bit of an oil leak problem that is even high by Perkins standards. We also were getting a pretty noticeable exhaust stain on the stern, which didn't indicate good things...

After a lot of deliberation about whether or not to repower, I decided to bring this lump home to tear her down and see just how bad is is. I'll do a complete inspection, measuring the components against workshop manual specs, to see what all needs to be replaced.

At this point, I figure that at best I can get by with a top end job. If the cylinders liners show significant wear, then those'll need to be replaced.

The deal breakers will be if the block, crank, head or other major components need to be replaced.

Stay tuned...

What fun!
Capnblu, jameswilson29 and boz86 like this.

Last edited by PorFin; 12-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: This Ought to Keep Me Busy...

Hey Tom, I know how good you are at this type of stuff and that the rebuilt will be bettrr than new. Good luck my friend. Lake Macatawa just isn't the same since you left (3-4 years ago?), literally. I don't know if you could get into your old slip, we are down to record low water levels.
Have fun with your project.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-11-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'll be watching this thread. Lots of pic's please.
I don't have a perkins but I know enough to know a diesel is a diesel even if you have that funny shaped knob on the end of your confusulator.
Old 12-11-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Pics and descriptions as you go Por! This should be a great learning thread!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-11-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Yes, picks please you never know when they could come in handy! That should keep you busy for a while. I rebuilt an MG motor, it never really ran much better afterwards, but hey it was built by Leyland and fired by Lucus, and I figured if I got it started I was ahead of the game! 500 miles was the longest between breakdowns! But I sure learned a lot, and had fun with that little thing!
Old 12-11-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yes, picks please you never know when they could come in handy! That should keep you busy for a while. I rebuilt an MG motor, it never really ran much better afterwards, but hey it was built by Leyland and fired by Lucus, and I figured if I got it started I was ahead of the game! 500 miles was the longest between breakdowns! But I sure learned a lot, and had fun with that little thing!
Paul -- You're gonna jinx me!!! There's way too many similarities

- The last engine I tore down and reassembled was from my Triumph GT6;
- The Perky is also of British heritage;

I'll be happy if I solve the (major) leak issues...
EvelynL likes this.
Old 12-11-2012
Señor Member

Chapter 1: Getting the Beast Home

Not too many pics here, so please accept the descriptions and let your mind's eye paint the picture.

The first thing I did was to strip the engine of all the major external components. Since I'd pulled the transmission late last spring, the engine was pretty much bob-tailed anyway. I left the bellhousing on since the rear engine mounts are bolted to it (more on this design feature later in the story...) I pulled the heat exhanger/exhaust manifold, starter, raw water pump, alternator, and oil sump drain pump. I labeled each wire as it came off of the block.

I loosened the top nuts on the motor mounts; this wasn't as easy as it sounds. Besides the expected rust issues, the rear portside is masked by the bump-out in the bellhousing for the starter. I ran a chain fall down from a pair of 2x4's across the companionway opening and put some tension on the motor to stabilize it and unbolted the motor mount bracket from the bell housing. Once that was free, lifted the engine a couple of inches just so I could get a wrench on the motor mount nut. Anyway, long story short -- got all the motor mounts loose.

The next focus was prepping for transport and offload back here at home. I taped over all of the openings from the parts I'd already pulled. Here in the garage, I constructed the cradle in the shot above from 2x3, 2x4 and 4x4's. I also built a knock-down cross-beam that would be large enough to get a trailer under. I used 4x4's for the uprights and the crossbeam; everything else is 2x4's. Here's a look at that set up.

[IMG][/IMG]

After that it was just a simple matter of getting the crane scheduled, renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer, and getting it done.

After I dropped the dodger, frame and boom gallows, I took an extra hour to protect the companionway.

[IMG][/IMG]

The crane showed up on time (0900), and the crane operator and I did a quick walk through. Since it was just him, I had to be up in the cockpit. Being somewhat cautious, I decided to suspend the chainfall from the crane hook so I could take it real slow if need be. I used the chainfall for the first six inches or so, then gave hand signals to the crane operator. All in all she came out real easy. By 0930, I was bolting her down in the cradle on the trailer.

After an uneventful trip home, I got her off the trailer. At that point I had to start disassembly in order to get it ready to pop on the engine stand. I had to pull the bell housing, damper plate, flywheel and rear end plate. At that point, the engine stand yoke will (just) line up with bolt holes in the block. There's also (barely) enough room to remove the rear main seal housing.

The only mishap was that one of the damper plate bolts snapped off below the surface of the flywheel. That's gonna be a treat to fix...

Next chapter: The Tear Down
Old 12-11-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Hey Tom, I know how good you are at this type of stuff and that the rebuilt will be bettrr than new. Good luck my friend. Lake Macatawa just isn't the same since you left (3-4 years ago?), literally. I don't know if you could get into your old slip, we are down to record low water levels.
Have fun with your project.
Tim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Hopefully it's warranted

I've seen the dismal water level reports -- I think I'd have been stranded there at Yacht Basin. Hopefully, the levels will improve for you guys. Of course, that'll need a LOT of snow this winter
Old 12-11-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Glutton for punishment? Maybe, but I have a feeling that you are going to do what it takes, no matter what. Besides, you've got all winter to work on it. We'll all be watching and enjoying your reports.

Those of you who love(d) and owned British sports cars should enjoy this: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes
Apologies if you have seen it before.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-12-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Nice work so far. I hope it turns out better than mine did...after pulling the W50 I decided it just wasn't worth the time or money to do anymore. Fortunately it sounds like your engine is pretty healthy and worth a overhaul. good luck!

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Tags
diesel , diy , engine , perkins , rebuild

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.