SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   injectors??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/95323-injectors.html)

nolasailor 12-29-2012 03:29 PM

injectors???

I here people talking about finding injectors from different manufactors that might fit,,, How would you go about doing a cross reference... I have a westerbeke 21 and the injector part number is 30538

erps 12-29-2012 03:56 PM

Re: injectors???

Our previous boat was a Catalina 34 with a Universal motor in it. They have a great owner's association with lots of information on the boats, including information on the Kubota motor that Universal marinized. Maybe google for an owner's website for your boat?

T37Chef 12-29-2012 04:39 PM

Sorry I dont know the answer to your question, however do you actually need new injectors or have you considered having them rebuilt? The cost difference may surprise you!

blowinstink 12-29-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolasailor (Post 968528)
I here people talking about finding injectors from different manufactors that might fit,,, How would you go about doing a cross reference... I have a westerbeke 21 and the injector part number is 30538

Google the crap out of it. Find every production boat that used that engine. Check their owners group sites. Check the parts houses for x-ref parts numbers. I quickly did a westerbeke tractor and parts search and hit some discussion of the issue. Looks like you won't have the easy access to tractor parts that universal (kubota) marine engine owners have. However, I wouldn't let that be the end of my search. Keep pushing and you will find some crossover for sure (looks like it was a mitsubishi block???). ou are asking the right questions!

Luck,
-M

jrd22 12-29-2012 05:42 PM

I'd call a shop that specializes in rebuilding diesel injectors and ask them. I was surprised to learn that even the injectors in our old Volvo were pretty common and reasonable to have rebuilt.

nolasailor 12-29-2012 09:31 PM

a rebuild could cost up to 150 per injector, i have a diesel truck, and i know that bosch makes aftermarket injectors for the cummins 6bt.. dodge sells the injectors for 359 each, and bosch sells them for 79. I know that the cummins 6bt is much more comon, so the parts are more affordable, but just wanted to explore all avenues before having them rebuilt

T37Chef 12-29-2012 09:49 PM

fwiw ...I paid about $50 per injector to have them rebuilt, Arundel Injectors near BWI airport in Maryland

I have them for sale if anyone is interested, cheap and they only have two seasons on them :) Send me a PM

CalebD 12-30-2012 01:07 AM

If, as I suspect, Westerbeke engines are built on a Mitsubishi engine block, you may be able to find the Mitsu injectors if you can cross reference the Westerbeke to Mitsu block #.

miatapaul 12-30-2012 02:28 PM

I would find a good auto, truck or farm equipment supplier and have them cross reference the part number. I have a local Nappa dealer who can find just about anything, but he has been in the business for a long time, and deals with multiple suppliers. He also seems to enjoy my challenges I have posed to him. We do have children that went to school together, so that may have caused him to have more patience with me than he might have otherwise.

nolasailor 12-30-2012 07:22 PM

no luck so far doing google searches for the block,,, as far as your parts person,,, congrats on finding a good one,,, around here, new orleans, if you cant give them a year and model of car, thay say they dont have them... they wont even try to cross refernce them,,, i brought them the fan belt for the westerbeke, they asked what kind of car it was, when i said boat, they said they do not carry boat parts, even though the belt had a napa number, they would not even look it up!!!