Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013

sadie anne clawe is on a distinguished road
Yanmar YSE 8 fuel injection issue?

Hello everybody who is nice enough to be reading this, thank you!

So a few months ago I turned my once submerged, recently rebuilt, 1978, engine on. As usual she started up great with a loud roar, but when I went to throttle her down she just continued reving. I shut her off manually by pushing on the linkage that attaches to the injector pump.

My diesel car engine mechanic buddy thought it could be the pump its self, said it would probably cost just as much to rebuild as to buy new, so a month later one came from Japan. We installed it but failed to get it to do anything but idle high or shut off completely. Just like before.

Some other engine savvy buddies spent a couple hours scratching their heads at it and suggested it could be a spring or something located internally that regulates the throttle linkage.

Before this she also had a tendency to spit black sooty water out of her cooling system but I've gotten used to this. I switched out my prop and replaced the mixing elbow which helped a little.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yanmar YSE 8 fuel injection issue?

Did you get the mechanic to set up the timing on the new pump? Was it the injector pump you changed?

Some say it's possible for an engine with a lot of blow-by to 'run on' on its own crankcase fumes but a recently rebuilt engine shouldn't have that problem. Good news is your fuel cutoff still works.

Does there seem to be a lot of pressure at your oil fill cap when it's running? You'd have to start it without the cap on to see.. There should/may also be a crankcase vent fitting that shouldn't be plugged ..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

I'm with Faster on this one -- more troubleshooting is in order.

If you replaced the injector pump with a new unit (or had the original rebuilt at a good shop), then I'd be very surprised if the pump is your problem.

I am not familiar with the YSE 8, but as Faster said it may be timing related. If you have a shop manual, read that section and check your engine against it.

What was actually done when the engine was rebuilt? Was any machining done or was it just a parts replacement exercise? If they didn't hone your cylinder you might be getting excessive blow-by, even with new rings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013

I tried to Check the oil while my engine was running once and it sprayed in my face. Is this what you mean by excessive pressure? By recently rebuilt I mean in the last two years. The mechanic who installed the pump didn't really know how to time a marine engine. I also agree the pumps not the issue so then what is? Yes it could be timing. My manual suggests installing shims to adjust the timing but I have no idea where to begin in doing this.
Old 01-28-2013

Also what is blow-by?
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie anne clawe View Post
Also what is blow-by?
"Blow by" is when you don't have a good ring seal, and the high compression in the cylinder leaks by, pressurizing the crankcase. This is why I asked about having the cap off while running.

The crankcase is normally vented via your 'positive crankcase vent (PCV) back into the air intake to keep the smell and fumes down. If you have blowby it's possible that there's enough 'fuel' in the fumes that the engine keeps on running, or 'runs away' despite the governor's best efforts.

The one thing in your scenario that points away from that problem is that you were able to stop the engine with the fuel cutoff - which likely wouldn't have worked if you were in fact running on fumes. In that case the only way to kill the engine is to block the air intake.

Hopefully it was rebuilt by pros, but these are not complicated engines and a good mechanic should be able to sort things out in short order.

Good luck..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tried to Check the oil while my engine was running once and it sprayed in my face. Is this what you mean by excessive pressure? By recently rebuilt I mean in the last two years. The mechanic who installed the pump didn't really know how to time a marine engine. I also agree the pumps not the issue so then what is? Yes it could be timing. My manual suggests installing shims to adjust the timing but I have no idea where to begin in doing this.
If the oil sprayed in your face it is an indication that there is very high pressure in the crankcase. Maybe the engine oil is over filled? You might try blowing back through the crankcase breather hose from where it goes back into the intake manifold. Or if there is a PVC valve blow back from there. There should be littlt to no resistance. If there is, I suggest you replace the hose and PVC valve, if there is one. If there is oil leakage at the fromt or rear main bearing seals that may be another indication of excessive crankcase pressure.

Sounds like the injector pump may be faulty or not timed properly?

Black sooty water in the coolant may be from a blown head gasket? Perhaps another cause of high crankcase pressure?

If you don't have some experience with all of this a GOOD diesel mechanic may be a good investment. I think you said your original mechanic said he didn't know how to time a marine engine? That is a pretty basic skill for ANY diesel mechanic to have. Let us know what you find.

Paul T
Old 01-28-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The mechanic who installed the pump didn't really know how to time a marine engine.
I humbly suggest you find another mechanic -- timing has nothing to do with intended application (whether automotive, marine, industrial or agricultural.) If he thinks there is a difference, then he's not the guy you want poking around on your engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Here is manual (not complete shop manual but has some good info.)
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/ya...-ENG-FR-ES.pdf

To stop the engine the manual seems to indicate you just shut off fuel to the engine by the fuel valve. Is this what you did?

Have you checked the throttle linkage is not sticking? Did the engine run ok after the rebuild and only recently gave you a problem?

Regards
Old 01-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Here is another manual:

http://sailingboatefaki.gr/Engine%20Manuals.htm

Look at page 18. I cannot quite follow what they are talking about but looks like some speed governor parts can fall out or be damaged when removing the fuel pump. Maybe some parts of the governor system are now damaged or even missing.

Note page 39 and 40 of above manual talk about using shims on the fuel injection pump to set the engine timing.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 01-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.