Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Repower confusion (horsepower)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Interesting thread. I've messed with turbos on cars for a long time including some high HP 'street' cars. The issue of turbos causing problems is IMO outdated. They've been using turbos in big trucks and now passenger trucks for a long time. If you can take a smaller motor and get the same relative displacement out of it as a bigger motor then that's a plus. If you add in direct fuel injection then you have an extra benefit of cooling and better fuel economy. More complicated but more efficient and generally longer lived.
True, the technology has long since matured but they still seem "wrong" on an engine that turns slow. Of course in a perfect world I'd have a marine engine where you could watch the pistons move up & down - "Bridge to engine room - give me three more RPM".

Also, AFAIK ALL diesels are direct injection - it's now being implemented on gas engines as well.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
.....Of course in a perfect world I'd have a marine engine where you could watch the pistons move up & down - "Bridge to engine room - give me three more RPM".
An "Easthope" fan, are you??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
An "Easthope" fan, are you??
I love them - from afar. I kind of like an enclosed valvetrain. If I had a giant powerboat I'd sure like a pair of those old 800 RPM Gardners though.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-15-2013
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
True, the technology has long since matured but they still seem "wrong" on an engine that turns slow. Of course in a perfect world I'd have a marine engine where you could watch the pistons move up & down - "Bridge to engine room - give me three more RPM".

Also, AFAIK ALL diesels are direct injection - it's now being implemented on gas engines as well.
I know diesel pressures have been high but I don't know the difference in the current diesel injections systems from the past other than some are using direct injection via individual injectors for each cylinder rather than a common rail. Actually high pressure injection began with gas motors in the early 1900s. Just a little bit different now.
Old 02-15-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

jobber- turbos are extremely reliable, and on larger engines I'm a big fan of them. The majority of diesel engines that I've owned have had turbos and I agree about the increase in hp and efficiency. The problem for me is that when they go, you're pretty much dead in the water with either a blown seal on the exhaust side so you are dumping all your lube oil into the exhaust (and then into the ocean), or the intake seal goes and your trying to run the engine on the lube oil. The gain just isn't worth the extra complexity in my opinion. It's one thing to break down on the side of the road, it's another to be in some remote part of the world needing to find a turbo shop.

Sloop- One time, long, long ago I thought (briefly) about buying a salmon tender. It had a six cylinder Washington diesel in it that put out 300 hp. Maximum rpm was 300. It was about 10 feet long and 5' tall, I have no idea what that monster must have weighed, but man did it sound cool. I love hearing a boat with a Gardner going by, as engines go a pretty relaxing sound.
SloopJonB likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Sloop- One time, long, long ago I thought (briefly) about buying a salmon tender. It had a six cylinder Washington diesel in it that put out 300 hp. Maximum rpm was 300. It was about 10 feet long and 5' tall, I have no idea what that monster must have weighed, but man did it sound cool. I love hearing a boat with a Gardner going by, as engines go a pretty relaxing sound.
That's a tad beyond what I had in mind. Years ago I knew some longshoremen and they told me about big ship diesels - they had doors or hatches in the cylinders so guys could go in and decarbon the head while standing on the piston. I imagine they ran about the same speed as your Washington.

That's a whole different world.
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

That makes a sailboat kind of sound doesn't it?

Now if they could make one around 1 liter displacement.....
Old 02-15-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

That Washington had six individual heads and a dry sump with access panels so you could change main bearings easily. A small guy could reportedly get in the crankcase to work. It was direct reverse (no transmission, just a driveline) so you shut the engine down and pulled a lever and started the engine again (compressed air start) running in the opposite direction. It was still running last I heard and it was built in the 1930's as I recall.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-16-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
It was direct reverse (no transmission, just a driveline) so you shut the engine down and pulled a lever and started the engine again (compressed air start) running in the opposite direction.
That would add a whole new level of interest to docking maneuvers.

"O/K dear - get the engine running in the other direction - QUICK"
Old 02-17-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out Dave Gerr's Propeller Handbook. The process there is to calculate the power to drive the hull, normally at hull speed. After that figure out the pitch. Then check blade loading. If it's too high then more blades (probably not an option for you), wider blades, larger diameter (limited by blade tip clearance). He gives you all the information and formulas to crank thru. I found Michigan Wheel had a good computer model and will do the calculations but it's good to do an independent one on your own to second check. It's a good point not to overpower. Diesels don't like to be run at less than about 70% power.
Cal-29