Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CalebD
  • 1 Post By CalebD
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
How To Remove Prop Shaft

This is a pic of my Yanmar 3GMD with Kanzaki "V" Drive. How do I remove the shaft?

Plan to replace the shaft log hose on next haul out. Do I try to remove the shaft coupling then push the shaft out of the stern of the boat? Note picture is taken looking towards the sten of the boat. I think I could pull the shaft out towards the bow of the boat (would need to remove piece of plywood shown in this pic that lies in front of the coupling), but if I did it this way, the propeller needs to come off.

Which is easier, removing the prop or taking off the coupling? Or do I even understand how this coupling works? Strange thing on a V drive the prop actually goes into and out of the V drive transmission.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
How To Remove Prop Shaft-0205131517a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: How To Remove Prop Shaft

See this thread (particularly MaineSail's post): What About a V Drive? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Since the stuffing box and shaft log hose sit under the engine with a "V" drive MS recommends you install a dripless shaft seal as it is nearly impossible to adjust with the engine in place.
While you are at it you might as well replace the cutless bearing too and you should be able to forget about this system for a while.
As to which is easier to remove I'll say it is a toss up. You would need a prop puller to remove the prop and in my experience this is not easy to do. Probably best to remove the shaft with the prop attached and remove the prop in a work shop environment. It is not so easy to remove a prop shaft from a coupling either - which is press fitted and has to be pressed out.

MaineSail's photo in the thread I linked to shows the engine in a "V" drive setup but with the "V" drive transmission removed. Removing the transmission would allow you some access to this area. The other choice is to move the engine itself or...
Another choice is to cut the shaft (if you have access to do so) and replace with a new one (about $200). With the shaft cut the prop half can be removed and the half attached to the coupling can be worked on in a shop once the bolts are removed and the halves separated.
chef2sail likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Another choice is to cut the shaft (if you have access to do so) and replace with a new one (about $200). With the shaft cut the prop half can be removed and the half attached to the coupling can be worked on in a shop once the bolts are removed and the halves separated.
That is a very good idea. The thought is the shaft should probably be replaced and that is a good way to get the good parts out of the boat where they can be worked on in a proper shop. I will check the link.

I would love to move the engine more forward (towards the bow) but then it would be impossible to get to the galley or chart table. In the pic I attached, the companion way steps cover the engine opening you are looking at. I would love to not have a V drive, but not much choice in this installation.
Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 02-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Casey,
Yes, I'd recommend cutting the shaft. We ended up doing this with our direct drive setup 2 winters ago and it made the whole process much easier - besides our shaft was shot anyway. Pressing out those fittings in that tight space is not fun in the least. I know, we tried.

Once you have the "V" drive installed it would be a very big deal to convert it to direct drive in most cases. I don't think you can do anything better than to try to make your "V" drive setup as bullet proof as possible and hope for the best. That means replace the entire drive train for starters. The PSS dripless shaft seal is probably a good idea too (this coming from someone who favors the old school stuffing box) as you have very poor access to it.
casey1999 likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
This is a pic of my Yanmar 3GMD with Kanzaki "V" Drive. How do I remove the shaft?

Plan to replace the shaft log hose on next haul out. Do I try to remove the shaft coupling then push the shaft out of the stern of the boat? Note picture is taken looking towards the sten of the boat. I think I could pull the shaft out towards the bow of the boat (would need to remove piece of plywood shown in this pic that lies in front of the coupling), but if I did it this way, the propeller needs to come off.

Which is easier, removing the prop or taking off the coupling? Or do I even understand how this coupling works? Strange thing on a V drive the prop actually goes into and out of the V drive transmission.
Regards

Remove that white board, pull the prop off, clean the shaft so it will slide through the stuffing box, loosen and remove four flange bolts and pull the entire shaft INTO the boat. This allows you to leave the flange in place. Trust me you DO NOT want to remove the flange unless you have to...

On our boat I can pull the prop and shaft in about 10 minutes start to finish... Love the v-drive...
casey1999 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.