Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Beta Marine

This is just to address the Beta Marine customer service. We had a Beta installed last year and had prompt replies to all of our questions before and after the installation from both US dealers. We ended up buying from the one in North Carolina only because they are closer. If you have not already, you might try one of them in the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013

bvermeer is on a distinguished road

Twin Disc (the manufacturer of the Sea Prop 60) did respond in a timely manner. They sent my concern (and the sound file) to their technical department. The technical department replied with;
--------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir.

First we want you to know that this product is manufactured in Italy by Twin Disc srl, a company of the Twin Disc Group.

We have supplied some hundreds of these transmissions in the last 36 months to Beta, Allpa, Nanni, Vetus, Lombardini, etc. and many of them has been used to replace some competitors’ units too. The sail drive systems (any brand) do not have any adjusting device to “change or modify the noise”.

In general and based on our experience too, noise between 900 and 1500 rpm “may” be caused by the input flexible coupling characteristics. This coupling is usually selected by the engine manufacturer or supplier, based on similar and most popular applications with various saildrives. Therefore you may try to improve the situation with the engine dealer or a local distributor of input couplings (with a “softer” flexible element to reduce the torsional vibrations coming from the engine)
-------------------------------------------------------------
So with this information I went back to my local distributor who forwarded it to Beta England. Without a response I also sent the same e-mail string to Beta twice without a response. And yes, the Kubota 722 block is running very nicely, as is the sail drive unit. But there is no point in taking them apart to identify the coupling as the problem if there are no coupling options available. Taking the two units apart while still afloat is possible, but somewhat risky. Haulouts are expensive in this part of the world!

I shouldn't have to resort to a phone call, it is after all their "customer service" site that I e-mailed. But I may just do that (perhaps my frustration is clouding my judgement!).
Old 02-14-2013

Hey! I got a reply! I sent a third e-mail (this time to the sales department) and got an immedate reply from the technical department with an apology for failing to respond the previous two times. It appears that they have an in-house solution that may solve the noise issue.

Dear Bert

I am sorry for not replying, I should have replied straight away, but as time went on I forgot to do it.

Anyway from what I can hear the noise is greater in gear at low speed than in neutral, is that the case? We do have a different drive plate that is designed for use with Aquadrive units, this plate is a progressive roller plate and is very good at absorbing torsional vibrations. I don’t normally fit this type of plate to the small engines but from what I can make out on the recording the noise sounds like torsional vibration. To fit this plate the inertia plate must be changed, so it will involve removing the engine from the leg, and then removing the flywheel housing. The inertia plate can then be changed, then fit the new plate. What do you think?

Best regards Laurance

I will see what develops. If this solves the noise problem then I will be extremely pleased with the entire set-up!
jrd22, Faster, T37Chef and 1 others like this.
Old 02-14-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

If it were me, and I could not get a response from the dealer I made the purchase from, I would file with Small Claims Court.

Not sure if you have that option, but here in the US you can go up to $10k claim I think and you represent yourself- no court or lawyer fees. Usually just the filing will get you a favourable response.

This assumes the dealer also installed the saildrive / engine into the boat. If you purchased from dealer then someone else installed, that could complicate things due to the finger pointing. Seeing you installed under direction of dealer, I think you should be covered.

Good Luck

Last edited by casey1999; 02-14-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvermeer View Post
Hey! I got a reply!
Good news!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2013

As mentioned earlier, I got a reply. Beta will be sending me a replacement drive plate (the shock absorbing device between the engine and transmission, located inside the bell housing at the rear of the engine) without charge as long as I report the results of the change. It will be on a flight on Monday and should arrive in Sidney, BC some time during this coming week. The local distributor, Beta Canada (otherwise known as Gartside Marine) has offered to do the installation without charge. This will require the removal of the engine into the cabin, change out the drive plate and re-install the engine onto the saildrive unit. This can all be done without hauling the boat (I know, I've done it!). This is all good news!
My original, and only complaint and caution, on this web site was the lack of response by Beta Marine in England. They have now responded and have satisfied me to this point. Whether the replacement drive plate solves the noise problem is an entirely different issue. Again, the engine and sail-drive unit have worked flawlessly since installation. If the replacement solves the noise issue I will be a very happy camper! I will post the results......
Old 02-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Great news... thanks for keeping us all up to date.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-19-2013

As an end to this thread, Beta England has responded to my concerns regarding the ticking noise at low RPM in gear. The replacement (different) drive plate hasn't solved the problem yet. The noise has not affected engine or sail drive performance. The original "beef" of this thread was the lack of response from Beta service. That has been resolved. We are continuing research on how to stop this annoying noise.
Old 03-20-2013
Not that kind of Captain.

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As an end to this thread, Beta England has responded to my concerns regarding the ticking noise at low RPM in gear. The replacement (different) drive plate hasn't solved the problem yet. The noise has not affected engine or sail drive performance. The original "beef" of this thread was the lack of response from Beta service. That has been resolved. We are continuing research on how to stop this annoying noise.
Thanks for the followup, Beta tops my list if repowering becomes necessary and your experience was beginning to concern me.
Old 03-20-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure if you are or have an equivalency to our Boat US in Canada..but from our experience when we couldn't resolve an issue with a failed engine rebuild where the distributor was pointing fingers at the installer and the installer was pointing fingers at the distributor as to why the newly rebuilt engine failed..our insurer Boat US stepped in and was extremely helpful in solving the issue. We tried to stay away from the court system as the only winners are the lawyers and would possible hold up the situation in excess of a year or more going that route..

Speaking from personal experience...

Tags
beta marine , sea prop 60 , technodrive