Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013

cparclan is on a distinguished road
defining "rebuilt"

What constitutes an engine as being "rebuilt?" Looking now at an `85 with a rebuilt Perkins 4-108, and just wondering what should be involved - as in, what should I look for, look for, or ask about?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: defining "rebuilt"

Actually, I think that yours is a particularly astute question. What constitutes a "rebuilt" engine?

I think that you have to ask as to what was re-built. It may help a bit to know about engine terminology but if you do not ask you wont know if they just replaced the water pump, alternator, gave it a paint job and called it "rebuilt". Was there a mechanic involved? Is there a detailed work order? If not and even if so, what was done?

Where the main shaft bearings replaced?
New head or manifold?
Transmission?
Rocker arms?
Valves?
Cams?
Injectors?
Fuel pump(s) and fuel tank?

In some ways a "rebuilt" engine is a neat way of saying that: "we did something fairly major to the engine" without saying what exactly was done and who did the work.

My $.02

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 03-13-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

I'm about 75% done rebuilding my 4.108 -- here are a few thoughts specific to that engine.

You need to ask the owner about the engine. If he did the rebuild himself, he should be intimately familiar with the engine; if he had someone else do it, then go talk to that person.

o Ask for documentation of the rebuild. There should be a lot more than just a receipt for an aftermarket rebuild kit.

o At a minimum, here's what should have been done using parts from a rebuild kit. Some of this can be done in a DIYer's garage, but some of it definitely needs to be done in a machine shop.
- Cylnder liners replaced and honed.
- Crankshaft polished.
- New pistons.
- New valves and valve guides; valve seats ground (not just lapped).
- New main, big and small end bearings.
- All new gaskets.
++ Red flags:
- Reground crankshaft. The Perkins cranks are hardened using a nitriding process that only penetrates a very shallow way into the crank. If the crank was reground, much (or all ) of that hardening was likely removed.

o The aftermarket rebuild kits lack a couple of things that also need to be checked:

- Oil pump. This is the only mechanical part of your engine that runs using unfiltered oil as a lubricant -- they tend to wear faster that other parts of the engine. Verify that the pump was either replaced or checked to ensure it was still within factory specs.

- Rocker arms and shaft. I found significant wear on the shaft. I sent the entire rocker arm assembly out for rebuild (new shaft, new bushings, arm geometry reground.)

- Fresh water cooling pump. Mine was leaking. Rebuild kits are no longer available. The only fix is a new pump.

- Raw water cooling pump. Also should have been torn down and rebuilt (new bearings and seals.)

- Fuel delivery components. The lift pump should have been disassembled and checked. At a minimum, the injectors should have been pop tested (better yet rebuilt using new nozzles.) The injector pump should have been thoroughly checked and seals probably replaced.

If you are interested, here's the thread that I'm using to document my rebuild (link)
Faster, kd3pc and Sea Dawg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
I'm about 75% done rebuilding my 4.108 -- here are a few thoughts specific to that engine..........
There you have it... from one who knows. Be sure to check out that thread too. Thanks PorF...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-16-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

When rebuilding an diesel, is line honing done and bigger bearings done as they are in gasoline engines?
Old 03-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As others have said, there is no definition of rebuilt. Buyer beware.

Unless truly taken down to the bones and everything replaced with new, what do you really have? You have a motor with whatever hours on it that has been repaired and presumably runs well. No guarantees.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-16-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Folks seem to often sell right after a rebuild which makes me think they lack confidence in the quality durability of what they've done. I'd actually want it to have some run time. In discussing their work I'd be listening for tell tale signs of competence. Torque wrench, loctite, photographs, micrometer measurements, new parts even where old ones may have some life in them such as a water pump or alternator. Short cuts less likely if they thought they were going to keep her. Amazing how many people advertise they've freshened or "redone" their motor. I doubt anyone doing a professional job will lack receipts or photos documenting just how much was "redone". To me lacking the depth of knowledge to discuss particulars would be a red flag. Good luck. There ARE competent and honest folks out there.
Old 03-16-2013

cparclan is on a distinguished road

Good luck. There ARE competent and honest folks out there.

Do any of those folks live and sell boats in FL?

Does the engine ususally get removed from the boat for a "re-build?" Seems like it would need to based on everyone's responses. The pics of the boat's engine don't show many shiney/new parts..
Old 03-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparclan View Post
Good luck. There ARE competent and honest folks out there.

Do any of those folks live and sell boats in FL?
Nobody knows where this elusive creature lives. It's only been seen in grainy photos at great distances.

Quote:
Does the engine ususally get removed from the boat for a "re-build?" Seems like it would need to based on everyone's responses. The pics of the boat's engine don't show many shiney/new parts..
Yes, it must be removed to fully re-build, but a lot of big things could be done with it in the boat. If you don't see a brand spanking new paint job, I would be sure it wasn't recently "re-built". Then I would probably run from it, as the owner seems to have a disability with the truth. I get like that.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Yes, it must be removed to fully re-build, but a lot of big things could be done with it in the boat. If you don't see a brand spanking new paint job, I would be sure it wasn't recently "re-built". Then I would probably run from it, as the owner seems to have a disability with the truth. I get like that.
Have a real good look at that "shiny new paint job" too to try to ensure that it wasn't ONLY painted up shiny just to dress it up...
Minnewaska likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.