Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013
Beneteau 343

scottthardin is on a distinguished road
Use of Yanmar Oil versus store bought oil

My Yanmar manuals says not to use oil with a rating of either CG-4 or CH-4 which is a common rating on diesel engine oil found in auto part stores. The manual says valve train damage could result. A local dealer says any good quality diesel engine oil is fine.

What do others think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013

davester is on a distinguished road
Re: Use of Yanmar Oil versus store bought oil

I use the Yanmar oil because the dealer is located near my marina, and it probably doesn't amount to that much cost difference considering 1-2 oil changes per year. I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives, but I would look at the specifications (as you're doing) rather then just get 'any good quality' oil.
Old 03-24-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Huge question. On my last purchase of a new Honda Accord, I bought a couple of cases of Honda engine oil, trans oil, and filters just in case there was ever a warranty problem.
I figured if I had the receipts I might have a better chance. The incremental cost difference was not a lot. Honda does not require their oil to be used, they just specify the type and weight. If I had a Yanmar I would follow their recommendations. The small difference in cost, if any, may be worth it?

Paul T
Old 03-24-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong... if you feel better using Yanmar Labeled oil then by all means do so but understand that Yanmar does not refine their own oil. Being an old gear head I do belive in using quality oil so I use Rotella 15w40 ($12a gallon in most autostores and walmart $23 at West Marine) in my Yanmar 2qm20 engine and change it far more often then recommended. (Oil is cheaper then an engine replacement).

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 03-24-2013
Beneteau 343

Shell Rotella seems like a good product but it carries a CH-4 rating (among others) which is what Yanmar says not to use its engines (at least my manual says that and I have a 2008 3YM30). Chevron DELO is another one that has CH-4 on its labeling now.
Old 03-24-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

What rating does Yanmar specify then? Rotella and Delo are approved by every major diesel manufacturer, it's impossible that Yanmar is somehow so different from every other diesel engine that they require a "special" oil. Spend the extra money if it makes you feel good, but I'd bet you are still using Rotella or Delo (or similar) no matter what the label says (we have used Rotella in a 3gm for over 20 years successfully).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-24-2013

I also used Delo for many years, never had any problems. Sounds like you may be out of your warranty period? If so, Delo or Rotella may be just fine. Although Yanmar doesn't refine the oil they may specify certain additives they feel are necessary? If you use 10 to 20 quarts a year the incremental cost difference may not be a lot? I don't think Yanmar would lie about it just to sell some extra oil?

Paul T
Old 03-24-2013
Beneteau 343

The manual says do not use CG-4 or CH-4 rated oil. I am with you; I want something readily available at reasonable cost so that I can change oil easily and frequently. I can't imagine DELO or Rotella being bad but the Yanmar manual says valve train problems could result from using CG-4, CH-4 oil.

There is an interesting find on the Yanmar website about confusing labeling on a bottle of Yanmar oil that doesn't match the Yanmar YM diesel engine manuals. It doesn't clear up the confusion but you can tell someone has asked the question before about Yanmar oil having a label indicating the oil is CH-4 and the manual saying to not use that kind of oil. Interesting. I think I am gonna stick with DELO.
Old 03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthardin View Post
The manual says do not use CG-4 or CH-4 rated oil. I am with you; I want something readily available at reasonable cost so that I can change oil easily and frequently. I can't imagine DELO or Rotella being bad but the Yanmar manual says valve train problems could result from using CG-4, CH-4 oil.

There is an interesting find on the Yanmar website about confusing labeling on a bottle of Yanmar oil that doesn't match the Yanmar YM diesel engine manuals. It doesn't clear up the confusion but you can tell someone has asked the question before about Yanmar oil having a label indicating the oil is CH-4 and the manual saying to not use that kind of oil. Interesting. I think I am gonna stick with DELO.
It might be interesting to send Yanmar an email something like:

"I have a model X Yanmar engine. Is Delo oil acceptable?"

Paul T
Old 03-27-2013
Beneteau 343

Not sure I replied to your latest reply. I did send Yanmar an email and here is their reply:
"I believe the standard rating now is CJ-4 or higher. But as long as it is a good grade diesel oil you should be fine."

Delo and Rotella are good oils so I guess we are good.