SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   2QM20 stiff transmission shifting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/98127-2qm20-stiff-transmission-shifting.html)

Ritchard 04-04-2013 08:45 AM

2QM20 stiff transmission shifting

Per the title, I have a 2QM20 with presumably the regular Kanzaki-Hurth transmission. I have the run-of-the-mill Edson pedestal with separate throttle and transmission controls. From the cockpit, shifting is kind of stiff or sticky. While it doesn't feel like you are overly forcing it, or that you're going to break anything, it is a bit of an effort to shift between gears, and settling in neutral takes a bit of finessing. Of course it's been months, but I seem to remember a subtle feeling of metal sliding over metal kind of friction, but what it feels like is kind of hard to call up in my imagination, let alone describe.

Any hints as to where I might start looking? I guess the stickiness could be as easy as the shifter in the pedestal, but I am more thinking somewhere in the mystery transmission box.

I suppose the first move is to climb into that tiny engine compartment and unhook the trans cable and try it both from the pedestal and from the shifter arm to locate the issues.

Look! I am answering my own question. It's just like when I ask my wife where my socks are.

jsaronson 04-04-2013 10:14 AM

Re: 2QM20 stiff transmission shifting

Yup, time to climb down in the bilge. I had the same issue with my 3GM. It was a corroded cable.

Ritchard 04-04-2013 10:35 AM

JSaronson,

If it proves to be a cable, where does one get one? Are they standard lengths?

jsaronson 04-04-2013 10:49 AM

Any Yanmar dealer should have them. Certainly Torrensen. I believe they come in a variety of lengths, so take a tap measure down there.

Ritchard 04-04-2013 11:07 AM

Measuring will be a bear, the cable wraps around the front of the engine if I remember correctly. Torresons will not ship to Canada, so I'd have to find an alternate. Yanmar dealers seem to be a bit thin around here.

fryewe 04-04-2013 09:34 PM

Check the Hamilton Marine catalog on line or call them. They have a variety of cable lengths. Just make sure what you buy is long enough with the right end fittings. If it is too long you just make a loop in the cable that has a radius big enough to avoid binding. HM is where I got my replacement cables for my Yanmar 2QM15.

bristol299bob 04-04-2013 11:55 PM

I've got the same engine and same trans. I agree with you, start with the cable. Hopefully that will be the culprit.

While you are down there operate the shifter, with the cable disconnected. Youll need some leverage but it should click firmly into forward, neutral and reverse.

Assuming that you have the Kanazaki/Hurth transmission remember that it requires ATF not motor oil. And unfortunately this transmission also requires that you shift into reverse while sailing so ... it's a bit of a drag ... so to speak ... :-)