SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MD5B Volvo/Penta- Why won't flywheel turn by hand?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blutoyz 
#1 ·
I just got back from my boat (E-25+). Trying to get it ready to go back in in a few weeks. Last season on my last trip, my exhaust elbow blew a hole in it, which I've had welded over the winter. Bringing the boat back in, I had to motor for a little as not allowed to sail through a local bridge. I had taped elbow to slow the water/exhaust flow, but engine was running very hot. Got through bridge, shut motor off and sailed to mooring, but tried to start engine once just to see. It cranked, but did not turn over. I put boat up for the winter and did not start motor again, as I had removed the elbow. When I winterized the engine, I did so without starting it and just did the normal. I changed the oil and was able to turn the flywheel with both hands and felt compression. I was just trying to work some oil into the system. When I put the elbow back on today, I grabbed the flywheel to give it a turn (makes me feel good), but it would not budge. Since it turned when I laid the boat up, I'm curious why it will not turn by hand now. I stood on one of the spokes and it would not budge. Batteries are not on boat, so I did nothing else. It seems to me the wheel should turn by hand. Any thoughts as to why it is not. I didn't not check, but I wondered on the way home if the it was in gear for any reason. If it is, would that prevent the flywheel from turning by hand? Motor is a little Volvo Penta MD5B running a saildrive. Any help would be appreciated.
Greg

See less See more
#2 ·
It cranked, but did not turn over.
Do you mean it turned over but didn't fire?

Any chance water in the exhaust system found its way back into the engine at some point? I'd think the hole in the elbow might make that less likely, but if it turned before and not now, something's occurred between times. Do you have a decompression lever?

In gear shouldn't make a lot of difference on a small drive like that, it's not like a car with tires on the ground.

#3 ·
On that last day, I turned key in cockpit. If I recall it sounded like it was turning over, but not firing. Don't have compression wrench. Just seems odd I could turn the flywheel in November out of water and not today. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.