Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
2gm 13 Yanmar external oil line "HELP"!!

Good morning,
So last Sunday I took some folks out sailing on my C&C 30 Mk1 "675" and had just shut down the engine when I heard the engine low oil pressure buzzer. I had jumped thru the companion way removed the steps to find oil "Lots of oil" in the bilge?
After freaking out a bit, I continued under the main sail and sailed the distant back to the marina. The tide and apposing would not allow a smooth landing alongside the face dock. I called the Tow-US. i pay them once a year right? Anyway, After I sent the passengers along their way. I began to look for the leak. I found it on the inside of an external oil line on the back of the engine. I think it sends oil to the valve train from the block. It has an 8mm and a 12mm banjo bolt with 4 brass washers.
Here is my question: Does the starter have to come off to replace this line?

The line broke after I muscled with it for 30 minuets’ or so, trying to get it off. It finely broke in half and I removed it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ltgoshen; 04-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: 2gm 13 Yanmar external oil line "HELP"!!

We had to remove the starter on a 3GM if I remember correctly. The most difficult part was holding all the crush washers in place while holding the line and fiddling with the bolts. It was a two person job for us, but we didn't have good access to the starboard side of the engine. The new line appears to be something other than just steel so hopefully it won't corrode like the original.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-16-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: 2gm 13 Yanmar external oil line "HELP"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
It was a two person job for us, but we didn't have good access to the starboard side of the engine. The new line appears to be something other than just steel so hopefully it won't corrode like the original.
Well there is just me and there is no room to work. I can come in from the front on the engine at the companionway steps and lean over the motor and get in from the starboard locker. But I, sure ether way the starter will have to come off? Right?