Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004

sjacovino is on a distinguished road
Balmar Alternator Eating Belts

That sounds like a viable alternative. I called Balmar again today and talked to a different rep. He suggested I switch to a Dayco "Top Cog" Belt and reprogram the regulator to step down the field potential a bit and fine tune the system. This may be my last effort before having the Hitachi altered. The season is too short here in Maine to waste weekends on mechanical problems.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2004

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road

Ran into a similar problem. Belt dust everywhere.

Found the mount where you tension the belt was flexing alowing the belt to hit the edge of the pully.

Just an idea...
Old 06-11-2004

RLK is on a distinguished road

I have a the same Balmar on my 3GM30 Yanmar and no belt problems as long as I set the alternator output to keep the amperage at or below 80 amps, and even then it will kill the engine at idle. I use a deep V industral belt.
From the author of books on boat refrigeration
Old 06-17-2004

sjacovino is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input,

I tried backing down the field potential on the MaxCharge regulator to 75% and used a Dayco Top Cog belt as Balmar suggested and still haven''t seem much of an improvement. I called Balmar back and now they are sending another pulley to try. I hope this does it becuase the alignment is perfect and sailing season is too short to be wasting all this time. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 12-08-2013

Roy M is on a distinguished road
Re: Balmar Alternator Eating Belts

Hi, I'm new to this forum and found the subject with my search engine. I don't know if anyone is still researching this issue (last entry was 2004), but if so, maybe this will help. I am installing a serpentine belt drive system on my Yanmar 3GM30F in a couple weeks, after it gets delivered. I will include photos. There are a couple suppliers, Electromaax in Canada, and AltMount (available through Balmar). This is supposed to be the hot system for this type of issue of driving high output alternators with the Yanmar engines. I'll let you know. It's supposed to take about an hour to install, but no one has addressed the raw water pump side of this issue. I'm guessing the old belt for the pump is simply re-used on the remaining v-groove of the crank pully. I'm also not sure what the effect will be on servicing the pump.
Old 12-08-2013
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road

I installed a Yanmar 80 amp alt on a 2GM20. I consider this to be the very upper limit for a single belt drive. I keep a couple spare belts on board, but the current belt has over 50 hrs on it and it is still in good shape.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 12-08-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseASantin View Post
Try using a gates green stripe belt
+1

This is what stopped my engine room from being covered in black dust.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-09-2013

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

I also agree om Bates green stripe belt. I too have the Balmar high output alternator on my Yanmar and te green belt stopped the problem. You may want to check the width, depth, and shape of your pulleys to the correct size of the belt.
Old 12-09-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

I have piles of 100A+ alts on Yanmar's set to run at 70-95A depending upon belt width.

The biggest problems I see are incorrect pulley widths on aftermarket alts. If you have an approx 3/8" belt and the new alt has a 1/2" pulley no amount of tweaking will solve the problem. I see this on a REGULAR basis....

Rusty crank, water pump and alt pulleys are a huge culprit. I see this constantly. Might as well be turning your belt with sand paper. The pulleys MUST be clean and rust free.

Incorrectly sized alt pivot bolts are also EXTREMELY common. This allows the alt to twist off and destroys belts. The alt pivot bolt should be a snug fit and NOT a sloppy fit in the alt AND engine bracket..

Improper fore/aft belt alignment is also very common. The ONLY way to get this right is with a straight edge and a set of calipers to measure offset to the edge of the belt.. Place it flat across the front of the alt pulley and measure the distance to the edge of the belt. Now measure the distance from the straight edge to the edge of the belt at the crank pulley while still holding it flat to the alt pulley.. These measurements need to be identical...

Hands down the Dayco Top Cog is the best performing alt belt I know of..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.