Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Yanmar parts prices!

Bought an assundry of parts from a local dealer. Wow! I saw a 30%+ increase in prices since the last time I purchased the same parts. Best to buy a couple extra as the next time I'm sure there will be another increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yanmar parts prices!

aa, the world has gone nuts with inflation. I've seen $10 oil filters change to $20 in one year. Some groceries, up 50% in one year. Putting you money into "inventory" can be a way better payoff than other investments.
Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Not sure where you are, but see if you can get a-hold of Mastry in St Pete. I bought all my spares from them.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Not sure where you are, but see if you can get a-hold of Mastry in St Pete. I bought all my spares from them.

Brian
At one time one could buy directly from a main distributor like Mack Boring..Unfortunately that changed and one must purchase from the closest dealer to you ..with exception ..if no dealer is available. With that policy change I've noticed a disperency in pricing between dealers for the same parts..
Old 04-23-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

It's like that all over. Porsche synchro rings that were $12.00 in 2002 are $95.00 now. I was glad that I had collected a bunch of old Porsche stuff that nobody wanted much years ago, when we started the big sell off to go cruising it equaled a good chunk for the cruising kitty.
Sorry for your pain. Big thanks to our financial wizards that are making our savings worthless.

Old 04-23-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Brian
I got price quotes for a new starter from Mastry and from my local dealer...I could pay for a round trip flight, rental car and overnight hotel and still save a few bucks by flying to Florida to pick it up myself. NO I'm not kidding, I checked the numbers. I ended up, and will continue to pay a friend $50 for his time plus shipping to send me stuff. I don't have a problem with somebody turning a profit but more than %200 markup above Mastry is just crazy.
Old 04-23-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Thanks to the Gods that I have a Universal / Kubota motor! I'd be happy with a Beta Marine for the same reason...
T37Chef likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-24-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I got price quotes for a new starter from Mastry and from my local dealer...I could pay for a round trip flight, rental car and overnight hotel and still save a few bucks by flying to Florida to pick it up myself. NO I'm not kidding, I checked the numbers. I ended up, and will continue to pay a friend $50 for his time plus shipping to send me stuff. I don't have a problem with somebody turning a profit but more than %200 markup above Mastry is just crazy.

Call the dealer out on this ********. Say that the other dealer is charging way less and you're not going to take it. Many times, they'll match
Old 04-24-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Call the dealer out on this ********. Say that the other dealer is charging way less and you're not going to take it. Many times, they'll match
Typically that would be a wise strategy. Unfortunately there is only one dealer here making it a convenient monopoly. This is their franchise district. To be fair, I have locally bought many small items like belts, zincs, filters etc. in exchange I frequently pick the brains of the techs and they have been generous in providing tips or suggestions. That was how I justified the higher prices to myself. True, I could head over to Tortola and bring stuff back from their saving a few dollars. My process has been to give the local guys first shot, if I don't feel raped or I do need the part immediately I buy from them. If the price just sounds ridiculous or I have lots of time, I look elsewhere. The times I've tried to suggest that the local prices are not in line with others they've not been interested in reducing the cost. If I had a monopoly I probably wouldn't be interested in negotiating either!! Regarding Yanmar pricing---the same starter in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area was $200 more than St Pete but still about $200 less than my local dealer. There seems to be a really odd pricing distribution system in place.
Old 04-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I've found that sometimes it helps to just say flat out "You know, I want to keep my business local and I want to give you guys my business because (whatever) but I'm just tapped out and those other guys are way less. Can't you do something for me on the price, meet them part way at least?"

Often at least they can give you the "trade" discount.
night0wl likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.