Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: 2GM 15 dies when I put it in Fwd

1) Plenty of water spitting out of the back.
2) 2200 rpms tied to the dock lots of prop wash. seams to be strong engine. " NOT" a loss of power problem?
3) my problem is at low rpms, while trying to menover away from the dock in the marins. It tryes to stall at low rpsm just as I put it into gear.
4) someone told me the 2gm are known for shifting where they want to. That means it will not let you slam it into gear. Thats the way mine is. I can only go into gear if I have it set around 9000. any more at will not take gear. any less than that it stalls out. My problem is I that balance is out of wack? I will work on it today to see if there is a dirty prop or somthing ristricting it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

When you do get it away from the dock and warmed up, run it for a while at full throttle. The 2GM series should pull AT LEAST 3000 rpm in forward gear if they are making power and you have the right prop, assuming that it is a clean prop to start with. I don't have the book with me, but recall the maximum RPM is about 3300, so less than 3000 would indicate a problem - even with an old engine. A few minutes at full throttle will not hurt it - in fact Yanmar recommend that you do this occasionally - I run mine up to 3000 rpm for three minutes in every hour (it will pull 3200 if I want it) and always just before returning to the mooring. I have always done so with all my diesels, and never had any problems with excessive oil consumption or power loss as a result.
After I give it this high power burst of three minutes, I throttle it down in 300 rpm increments back to the normal 2100-2200 rpm which seems to be its 'sweet spot' for cruising and which gives me close to hull speed. Sometimes I will feel around the top of the thermostat housing to get an idea of whether it was getting too warm. I know this is a bit un-scientific, but mine has no water temperature gage and I don't want to wait for the buzzer to tell me it has already over-heated. Being raw water cooled it never gets very hot.
I do not rev it before shutting it down, just idle it for a few minutes.
Old 05-25-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Are your shift/fuel levers completely independent or do they share a common shaft?
Old 05-25-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Are your shift/fuel levers completely independent or do they share a common shaft?
independent
Old 05-25-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
When you do get it away from the dock and warmed up, run it for a while at full throttle. The 2GM series should pull AT LEAST 3000 rpm in forward gear if they are making power and you have the right prop, assuming that it is a clean prop to start with. I don't have the book with me, but recall the maximum RPM is about 3300, so less than 3000 would indicate a problem - even with an old engine. A few minutes at full throttle will not hurt it - in fact Yanmar recommend that you do this occasionally - I run mine up to 3000 rpm for three minutes in every hour (it will pull 3200 if I want it) and always just before returning to the mooring. I have always done so with all my diesels, and never had any problems with excessive oil consumption or power loss as a result.
After I give it this high power burst of three minutes, I throttle it down in 300 rpm increments back to the normal 2100-2200 rpm which seems to be its 'sweet spot' for cruising and which gives me close to hull speed. Sometimes I will feel around the top of the thermostat housing to get an idea of whether it was getting too warm. I know this is a bit un-scientific, but mine has no water temperature gage and I don't want to wait for the buzzer to tell me it has already over-heated. Being raw water cooled it never gets very hot.
I do not rev it before shutting it down, just idle it for a few minutes.

2500 rpm's is the highest it will run up in forward gear.
Old 05-26-2013

2500 rpm is not enough, but it may not be a lack of power, it may be something as simple as throttle cable rigging.

I suggest that you get it idling at 900 to 950 rpm, if that is where it will shift into gear smoothly. Get someone to then put it into gear while you watch for any movement of the throttle lever where it goes on to the fuel control unit. It is just possible that some kind of interference or movement is happening when you go in one direction but not the other, or as I said earlier, the folding prop is masking the problem in reverse because there is less resistance.
In theory the idle stop should prevent RPM going below whatever you have set the idle at, but maybe the stop screw has gone missing? My 2GM sometimes stalled when cold and going into gear at 900 rpm. Just half a turn of the idle stop brought it up to 950 rpm and since then it has been OK.

At the other end of the scale, i.e. full throttle, make sure that the throttle lever is moving through its full range to the WOT position. I am not sitting in front of my engine, so I can't remember if there is a visible stop at the high end. If not, you may have to drop the throttle cable off while you move the lever by hand to compare the range of movement.
Sometimes it can be the simplest thing. You can only hope.....

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 05-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to arvicola-amphibius For This Useful Post:
ltgoshen (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013
First String

Quote:
2500 rpm is not enough, but it may not be a lack of power, it may be something as simple as throttle cable rigging.

I suggest that you get it idling at 900 to 950 rpm, if that is where it will shift into gear smoothly. Get someone to then put it into gear while you watch for any movement of the throttle lever where it goes on to the fuel control unit. It is just possible that some kind of interference or movement is happening when you go in one direction but not the other, or as I said earlier, the folding prop is masking the problem in reverse because there is less resistance.
In theory the idle stop should prevent RPM going below whatever you have set the idle at, but maybe the stop screw has gone missing? My 2GM sometimes stalled when cold and going into gear at 900 rpm. Just half a turn of the idle stop brought it up to 950 rpm and since then it has been OK.

At the other end of the scale, i.e. full throttle, make sure that the throttle lever is moving through its full range to the WOT position. I am not sitting in front of my engine, so I can't remember if there is a visible stop at the high end. If not, you may have to drop the throttle cable off while you move the lever by hand to compare the range of movement.
Sometimes it can be the simplest thing. You can only hope.....

I,am what happened, but the problem wen away. I sailed out the Shipping channel, Motoring like the first 4 mile because of a head wind. Once in open water, we sailed 14 miles out then back. It was a great day. I put the boat on the face dock without incandescent.
Went out again today. We motored north up to Beaufort then headed over to The broad river at the tip of Paris Island. No problems getting back to the slip. I have a ghost on board?? What to do now. Start chasing what it could have been?
Old 05-28-2013

If all is now normal, it may well have been some air in the fuel which has now purged. But, if you can't make at least 3000 RPM you still need to find out why. Maybe the prop is wrong for the boat, maybe you are not getting full throttle, maybe the prop is just covered in barnacles.

Anyway, if it starts easy and runs without overheating or blowing excessive smoke, it seems as if the engine itself is OK. Always a relief, is that.
Old 05-29-2013
First String

Quote:
If all is now normal, it may well have been some air in the fuel which has now purged. But, if you can't make at least 3000 RPM you still need to find out why. Maybe the prop is wrong for the boat, maybe you are not getting full throttle, maybe the prop is just covered in barnacles.

Anyway, if it starts easy and runs without overheating or blowing excessive smoke, it seems as if the engine itself is OK. Always a relief, is that.
Yes,,, We did the 2 day sail in which I used the engine for 2 hours at 2000-2100 rpms. It did not seam to like it higher. I gave it all it had and could only reach 2500 rpms. I will change the fuel filter now that the weekend is over and have time to learn how to bleed the system out.

It was a great weekend 76 miles in all, 14 off shore.

Thanks again for your help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ5xy4VI-44

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.