Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Electric/Hybrid
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

Why would a portable gasoline generator be better than a good diesel engine?

If you need a generator that shows the failing of electric drive systems currently. Diesel engines don't need a backup engine. And who wants to carry gasoline. Not to mention the additional fuel it really defeats the purpose of being green, doesn't it?
Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

my sister lives in lund, bc

one day Ill be on a boat sailing those waters...

if I do Ill have a trusty old diesel to do so...

probably a big steel sailboat too...

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Why would a portable gasoline generator be better than a good diesel engine?

If you need a generator that shows the failing of electric drive systems currently. Diesel engines don't need a backup engine. And who wants to carry gasoline. Not to mention the additional fuel it really defeats the purpose of being green, doesn't it?
yes

you are right but just be open minded

its like the outboard versus inboard crowd

an outboard you can take off the boat carry on your shoulder and get repaired anywhere in the world

a diesel while simple tech not always so

a generator is like an outboard while it defeats the completely green scenario its simply a GAS version of a diesel electric sub

a true hybrid

a prius in a boat

so while some might cry foul at this some wont and embrace it...

a portable genny also offers countless other pros for cruising...

like the abilty to use power tools on the fly, do a quick battery charge...power a compressor etc....

in regards to who wants to carry gas, well tons of people, panga fisherman, car drivers, the list goes on

if nobody carried gas then most 99 percent of cruisers wouldnt carry dinghies...right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I carry diesel and propane. My dinghy power is electric with a solar panel on top for charging. A 3rd fuel I don't want.

Lund is the jumping off point for Desolation Sound and you don't need a steel boat to cruise there.

Old 05-08-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

Why wasn't a <30lb Yamaha or Honda 2-2.5hp outboard the right motor for your racing boat? They are cheap, light (almost certainly lighter than any electric motor with batteries), and reliable. They are so light that you can store them below when sailing. This is the setup that I see a lot of J/24s use.
The electric setup was about 20lbs lighter than the next best option. The battery was the same one we would have carried to run the electronics anyway. So no weight gain from that.

And the motor was the lightest trolling motor that could get us to the 50% of hull speed as required by the racing rules. At the time the Honda 2.5 wasn't out, the lightest weight motor going was the Tohatsu 2.5 at 41lbs dry.

Instead we used a MinKota 30lb thrust trolling motor that weighed in at ~15lbs.

Again this is a very specialized setup I don't recommend for anyone outside the same situation. We had no range, no backup, no options. But for a fully crewed racing boat where there is no real intent to ever use the engine anyway it was fine.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I carry diesel and propane. My dinghy power is electric with a solar panel on top for charging. A 3rd fuel I don't want.

Lund is the jumping off point for Desolation Sound and you don't need a steel boat to cruise there.

cool pics

ps you dont need steel for anything really but why not? jajaja just feels applicable if you keep going north, since your that far anyways

anywhoo

Old 05-08-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
And the motor was the lightest trolling motor that could get us to the 50% of hull speed as required by the racing rules. At the time the Honda 2.5 wasn't out, the lightest weight motor going was the Tohatsu 2.5 at 41lbs dry.
The Honda 2hp has been around for 20ish years, but maybe that difference of 2hp vs 2.5hp was enough for you to get the 50% hull speed requirement. I have a greater than 20 year old Honda 2hp outboard for use on a dinghy.
Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

I just bought an evinrude 3.3 its an early 90s version

thing wieghs 25 lbs...it be perfect for a racing boat or something like a j24 or similar

anywhoo

Old 05-09-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The Honda 2hp has been around for 20ish years, but maybe that difference of 2hp vs 2.5hp was enough for you to get the 50% hull speed requirement. I have a greater than 20 year old Honda 2hp outboard for use on a dinghy.
Alex,

The current Honda 2hp weighs in at 30lbs, but it wasn't on the market at the time. I highly doubt you have a 20 year old 2hp four stroke motor. I am pretty sure no one started making them until they were mandated by the Feds.
Old 05-09-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

yeah they did those honda and suzuki 4 strokes with the ccs instead of actual horsepower on the cowling...

some of the first commercially made small 4 strokes...they just didnt catch on way back then

thats why you see a lot of sailors sticking to these engines dearly as they are highly desireable and RELIABLE

I also beleive they didnt have all the evap and emissions smog crap that the new 4 strokes all have and therefore lighter than an equivalent today

here is a bigger one

a 1983 7.5(this is the one I saw all the time on sailboats, a classic and standard!)

and what you are talking about, the absolute best back then(still)

Vintage 1980s Honda 4 Stroke 2HP Outboard Motor One Owner Well Maintained | eBay

new stuff has nothing on these bad boys1

Tags
electric inboard , recharging , repowering , solar panels

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.