Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Electric/Hybrid
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Repowering with an electric engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Alex,

The current Honda 2hp weighs in at 30lbs, but it wasn't on the market at the time. I highly doubt you have a 20 year old 2hp four stroke motor. I am pretty sure no one started making them until they were mandated by the Feds.

actuall honda was at the forefront of "new tech" and greener technoologies even when it wasnt mandated by anyone or the feds...

a perfect example in cars was the hybrid way back in the late 80s and early 90s that looked like a very flat shoe with a big rear window...

the prius didnt come along until 15 or so years later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014

here is a vid of the little one

Old 05-09-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Alex,

The current Honda 2hp weighs in at 30lbs, but it wasn't on the market at the time. I highly doubt you have a 20 year old 2hp four stroke motor. I am pretty sure no one started making them until they were mandated by the Feds.
I have the motor covered in this manual:
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/31ZV0610.pdf

Check the year on the cover: 1989. That is 25 years ago. I have a little newer one with different cowling graphics and silver paint instead of the older white. The cowling on mine is kind of comical, it says "Four" in huge letters, "stroke" under that, and the HP is written somewhere small. At a quick glance you'd think it was a 4hp motor.

About 15 years ago they switched it from having no transmission to the centrifugal clutch and the model number changed to BF2D. Sometime more recently it got bumped from 2hp to 2.3hp. It's a solid little motor and I see a lot of them used on dinghies when I'm out cruising. It has come in short and long shaft from the beginning.

A friend borrowed mine to use on her Columbia 22 when her outboard was acting up. It was a little underpowered, but got her where she needed to go.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-09-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2014

thats even newer!

Old 05-09-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Wow. Sorry I missed it. I probably would have still gone electric, but it would have been nice to have reasonable options.
Old 05-24-2014

thought you guys might enjoy this for this that are still interested:

Electric Sailboat conversion | EAS Marine

look at the pic with the generator and custom made motor mount

pretty damn cool

he says at 4 knots he gets indefinite useage(portable genny fuel) with this setup

yeah it defeats the purpose I guess but this is no damn different than a ww2 sub with diesel electric for power...

Old 05-24-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

The trains that pull so many cars down the track Use a diesel to power an electric motor Some of the best fuel to weight that can be found for the money.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 05-25-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Lou,

Trains aren't diesel electric because they are inherently more fuel efficient, but because trains would otherwise have to use incredibly complicated transmissions to drive four powered axles and would need a lot of gears to keep the engine within its power band. The full torqu at 0 rpm is also incredibly useful. None of these things are particularly valuable to a boat however.
mitiempo likes this.
Old 05-25-2014

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

There has been a lot of valuable information on here. I looked into this a few years back, and quick and dirty, if you don't want to give up "range" you need a generator roughly the same size, HP wise, as the engine you are replacing. The entire system is larger, heavier, more expensive and more complicated than the engine you are replacing. I think you also need to look at the pollution free aspect of electric. If you recharge with shore power, you are not pollution free, as in the US a lot of power generation is coal fired, and while scrubbed, it is not clean. I know that lead acid batteries have a good recycle rate over their life cycle, bu I am not sure about Lithium batteries, in the various combinations. I do not know what the "pollution" footprint of manufacturing or discarding a solar panel is, but I suspect there is one. In short the least polluting answer is likely a diesel with a catalytic converter and enough green plants on board to reconvert the CO2 back to O2. No I do not have statistics, just a gut feeling that there is no free lunch in pollution control either. My town still has a "recycle" trash pickup, but the "recycling" is added to the regular trash stream, as it is cheaper. So we actually have twice as many pickups and therefore trash trucks running, so the net effect is that "recycling" adds more pollution than not "recycling". Yes this is a very cynical policy, but it keeps taxes low, and the mayor re elected and most folks in town feel good about their "re cycling".
This has become longer than I'd like, but for me the real "green" solution is fighting for pollution controls on all IC engines, and creating green space. I am well aware that IC engines of various sizes and uses are NOT the largest source of pollution compared to factories and utilities, but that is a fight for another day.
Since it is memorial day, go visit a WWII submarine museum and thank those pig boat sailors for their service. You'll also realize that the engine and battery spaces were much larger than the crew quarters. Time for a new thread on small nuclear power plants for sailboats?
Lou
Old 05-25-2014

jajaja good stuff

Tags
electric inboard , recharging , repowering , solar panels